c.geo coordinates question

A real brain teaser here (for us Newbies.) My GF and I have two brand new Droid Razr Maxxes. Using c.geo, when we download specs for a given cache (which we assume come from geocaching.com) we get identical info except the coordinates are always slightly different (the decimal part of the minutes.) We tried several different caches and all info for a given cache was exactly the same (which it should be) *except* for the coordinates!! Are we missing something here? These are not coordinates being read from the two devices on site, they are, I am assuming, taken from the actual listing which is part of the geocaching.com database.

I am stumped- obviously not understanding something. Could someone please help?

Thanks.

Frank

A real brain teaser here (for us Newbies.) My GF and I have two brand new Droid Razr Maxxes. Using c.geo, when we download specs for a given cache (which we assume come from geocaching.com) we get identical info except the coordinates are always slightly different (the decimal part of the minutes.) We tried several different caches and all info for a given cache was exactly the same (which it should be) *except* for the coordinates!! Are we missing something here? These are not coordinates being read from the two devices on site, they are, I am assuming, taken from the actual listing which is part of the geocaching.com database.

Thanks.

Frank

Need a little clarification. Are you saying the info downloaded is different or that the coords are slightly different when you read them at ground zero. The later is normal and expected. The former may be something the devlopers would want to hear about at http://cgeo.org/ .

No these are the coordinates that we are seeking- we have a description of the cache with name of the cache, poster's name, etc and the location of the cache we are seeking. At this point, we haven't started seeking yet. These are the coordinates that are presumably shown on geocaching.com yet we have two slightly different values on two different Androids. Don't know how else to explain it. Thanks.

Thanks.

Frank

Need a little clarification. Are you saying the info downloaded is different or that the coords are slightly different when you read them at ground zero. The later is normal and expected. The former may be something the devlopers would want to hear about at http://cgeo.org/ .

No these are the coordinates that we are seeking- we have a description of the cache with name of the cache, poster's name, etc and the location of the cache we are seeking. At this point, we haven't started seeking yet. These are the coordinates that are presumably shown on geocaching.com yet we have two slightly different values on two different Androids. Don't know how else to explain it. Thanks.

I read that to mean that you might not have even looked at the Cache Page yet... The proper coordinates are what appear on the cache page as far as downloading goes. They are correct or they are not. Aside from the possibility that it is an Unknown cache that has fake coordinates so you have to solve the puzzle to find the cache (which is NOT what you describe at all), what is on the page is what should be on the devices. There are several possibilities, one of which is a format setting difference. On the cache page, under the coordinates is the link to Other Conversions. Access that and see if any of the numbers there are on the other device.

Two different, but still listed there numbers mean that to match both devices should be set to the same format. Common is the use of Decimal Degrees DD.ddddd (many phones default to that) and Decimal Minutes DD MM.mmm which is the chosen default for Geocaching.Com coordinates.

If you find a matching pair note the type and let us know. Then we have some information.

Doug 7rxc

Note that c:geo approximates locations for various parts of its interface; from their website:

Approximated coords due to limitations on the GC-website

Be aware: If navigation is started directly from live map it may also use the approximated coords!

I believe it gets more-accurate coordinates when it needs it. So two different devices with slight different settings and uses, might show the approximate coordinates on one unit and more accurate on another.

What page in c:geo are you looking at when you see the discrepancy. Is it the cache description page? How do the coords you are seeing compare with the posted coords on geocaching.com.

I'm wondering if c:geo may be getting approximate coordinates because you are not a Premium Member. My c:geo description page coordinates always match was is posted on geocaching.com

I'm wondering if c:geo may be getting approximate coordinates because you are not a Premium Member.

This is from the c:geo FAQ

FAQ: Coordinates are wrong!

faq

This is no error in c:geo but instead an insidious trick of GC.com to annoy (not only) their non-paying members. GC.com randomly fuzzies the coordinates by severl tens of feet from time to time.

On a vaguely related note, I just left a post asking about the Droid Razr Max. I have been unhappy with the GPS in it as compared to my previous phone, a htc incredible.