Trip to Snowdon - Walk / Caching advice

Hi,

We're going to the Snowdon area for 5 days next week, staying at Haven Hafan Y Mor.

I've never been to the area, so thought I'd ask for some advice for a couple of decent walks to do. We want to go up Snowdon, but which way?

We are travelling as a couple with a 6 month old baby who will be tucked up in a backpack carrier. We've done plenty of walking around Dartmoor like this and should be able to cover up to 10 miles without any problem. With the baby on my back I'd rather not walk on any surfaces that are particularly steep / rocky / loose.

If advice on some caches to discover on route were included that would be excellent!!

Which OS map to get for this would also be good, as there seem to be 3 that cover the mountain.

Many thanks!

Edited by milesearl

Hi,

We're going to the Snowdon area for 5 days next week, staying at Haven Hafan Y Mor.

I've never been to the area, so thought I'd ask for some advice for a couple of decent walks to do. We want to go up Snowdon, but which way?

We are travelling as a couple with a 6 month old baby who will be tucked up in a backpack carrier. We've done plenty of walking around Dartmoor like this and should be able to cover up to 10 miles without any problem. With the baby on my back I'd rather not walk on any surfaces that are particularly steep / rocky / loose.

If advice on some caches to discover on route were included that would be excellent!!

Which OS map to get for this would also be good, as there seem to be 3 that cover the mountain.

Many thanks!

Watch the weather very carefully before going up Snowdon.

Mainly because of having a baby with you.The conditions can change rapidly and knowing the demand of a baby I would say that unless you have perfect weather then this may be a challenge you may wish to forget.

If the weather is perfect then the Miners track is as good as any. All routes on this side of the mountain are via mainly man made big slab footpaths owing to the erosion.

Otherwise there is the train - Bonnington went up it last week with the Olympic flame.

Have fun and take loads of photos to show your child when he / she is older.

Caching in Snowdonia is a real favourite of mine. My eldest son & I attended our first Event Cache on Snowdonia several years back and went up via the PYG Track from Pen-y-Pass and down via the Llanberis path - took about 3 hours (up). Always check the weather and be prepared (clothing etc)for a very different set of conditions at the top to the bottom (I've experienced sunshine in Llanberis and less than 10m visibility at the top).

Our particular favourites are GC12RFV, GCDB1D, GC117VH, GC117B8, GC1AZX2 and over towards Anglesey - GCRDXM. We even got a FTF on GC23WCG.

Taking a young child may restrict some of your caching but enjoy the scenery and the caching. :D

You can go up from the snowdon ranger path which is on the opposite side of the mountain, there is a cache near the carpark there, like other post be aware of the weather and turn back if not sure, mountain will always be there. To warm up there is a nice group of caches in beddgelert for you to do, enjoy your visit and please bring the good weather with you.

keithnipper49

Having held an event up Snowdon last week I have now done all the paths except the Snowdon Ranger, my favourite so far is the Rhyd Ddu path.

You will climb approx 3000ft in about 3.5 miles on the above route. As already said you need to be sure or your ability and that you are correctly equipped, shorts and tee shirt might be fine at the bottom but it may well be trousers and a coat at the top.

The one thing I will definately say is.............. Have fun, the views are fantastic on a good day.

If you are up the for a few days and fancy something a little easier then I would recommend the Aber Falls series.

We went up via the Pyg Route, but for going back (to Pen-Y-Pass) the Miners Track was a lot easier as the initial decent was quite rapid so the rest was mostly gentle slopes.

Although if I had a baby I'd take the train as it is rocky/loose etc most of the way.

As has been mentioned check the weather as we started out (in Feb) with freezing fog, with thermals and all the cold weather walking gear...but at the top we were in T-shirts in glorious sun!!

Snowdon is a heck of a climb and can get very busy so best to leave early, the car parks start to fill from 6 or 7 am onwards at a weekend and it can be a bit of a fight to get on the summit itself! I did Pyg track up in 2 hours last week and came down Miners in under 90 mins. Have a look at www.snowdon.com for advice and links to weather etc. Always remember that Snowdon has claimed lives even in spring/summer.

There are a few caches on flatter walks along the A5 just south of Bethesda.

The walk at Abergwyngregyn on the coast is good and I think goes from sea level up to 3000ft. Good handful of caches up there as well and has been said Aber falls.

Hope you enjoy your time, make the most of it as baby will soon be too heavy to carry and too small to walk far (as I am discovering now!)

I would suggest the Path from Ryd Ddu as well, especially with a baby. No surprises or overly dangerous sections.

BUT I would also suggest that you find time to do Moel Hebog on the other side of Beddgelert. The views are just as spectacular if nnot better than from Snowdon as you get an unrestricted view out over the Llyn Peninsular (on a clear day of course) Plus it's a LOT quieter than Snowdon. I've given up on Snowdon these days as you spend hours fighting your way up only to find 'ladies' in high heels at the top !!!

As for the right map - you need OL17 the 1:25k series.

Edited by mike142sl

We attempted the Rhyd Ddu path on Wednesday this week, but when we got to the car park the weather was wet and windy so we decided against it. As a plan B we drove to Llanberis and thought about getting the train up, and maybe walking back down, but it was £25 each!!

So with an improvement in the weather we started up the main path, with a plan to just walk a bit of the way as the day was getting on by now, but after we hitting the half way point we decided to go the whole way. We got as far as a section after where the path goes under the rail way line and up a steep loose rocky path. Here it got really exposed and was so windy it was virtually impossible to stand, particulary with the big sail like back pack on with my baby safely enclosed.

With the baby and the wind on top of the steep loose surface, with what looked like a shear drop off one edge it was a bit of a no brainer to turn back.

Really enjoyed it though. Was suprised how steep it was, particulary at the start (although a massive flatter section in the middle), given that this was called the flatest route (but hey it is a mountain).

Looking forward to getting to the top sometime in the future!

Although I'm not the worlds greatest fan of hills these days, I have climbed Snowdon in the past, and indeed, spent many a happy summer on Pen Lleyn.

One thing strikes me - you say you're going to Hafan Y Mor.... I hate to break it to you, but that is NOT Snowdonia. You're talking a good 40 mins to an hour to get to that area from there.

If it's hills you're after while in the area, why not have a go at Yr Eifl (known locally as The Rivals) Clicky linky thingy Yes, they're only baby hills, but as this article points out, why scramble for parking, (almost) form a queue to get to the summit etc when these are stunning, very quiet, and believe me, on a sunny day at sunrise, beat the hell out of any big mountain!! There's an amazingly rich history to the hills too, an old fort and really can be deserted - a real get away from the tourist trail!

If you want a relatively flat walk, try the Lleyn Coastal Path on the north of the peninsula? Stunning stunning scenery.

Another clicky linky thingy