Which is easier to do Interesting Cache or Location?

Dan2099

I think location. Because you have to put a lot of work into a creative cache container, but the location is already there, you just need a simple cache to draw attention to it. Caches that have both are awesome, If they have one or the other, cool, but if they have neither, what's the point?

Of course I guess it depends on local conditions. If you are in a highly cache-saturated area there may not be many cool locations available anymore, do it might be easier and better to concentrate your efforts on an awesome hide. In my area, we are fairly cache-poor, so there's plenty of real estate and lots of great places to hide a cache. That doesn't stop people from chucking a film canister under a lamp post skirt at Walgreen's, though,,,really, how many March Of The Penguins caches does an area need?

Edited by Chief301

I disagree. For many, a cache near a mountain top waterfall with a view of the local resort town would be an interesting location. unfortunately there is nothing close to mountains where I live, infact you could drive for 7 hours and see the same prairie with the occasional patch of trees. Not really an interesting location, and there is nothing you can do about it. But you can make an interesting cache and place it anywhere. I like both, but think the cache is easier to do because you can put it anywhere, interesting or not.

I think location is harder to do. There are endless boring location where a unique cache container can go.

Of course, maybe my opinion is clouded by the fact I prefer caches with interesting locations over unique containers or hides. Show me a cool spot and I'm quite happy for it to just be hidden under a pile of sticks waiting to be found.

I disagree. For many, a cache near a mountain top waterfall with a view of the local resort town would be an interesting location. unfortunately there is nothing close to mountains where I live, infact you could drive for 7 hours and see the same prairie with the occasional patch of trees. Not really an interesting location, and there is nothing you can do about it. But you can make an interesting cache and place it anywhere. I like both, but think the cache is easier to do because you can put it anywhere, interesting or not.

I also live in a flat, uninteresting landscape, but an interesting location doesn't necessarily mean a breathtaking scenic view. An interesting location can be a historic site, or a local landmark, or an old abandoned structure...if the cache description gives a history of the place or the story behind the location then those types of hides can be quite interesting. If it brings me to a unique place or thing I didn't know about, and I learn something about its history, I like it. Historic sites often get a Favorite point from me. Of course, that's just what I like, YMMV.

Just a debate topic which do you think is easier to do these days create a unique one of a kind type cache or place a ordinary cache at a one of a kind unique place?

The key words being "these days". With so many of the cool locations being taken over the years, then the answer would be unique, one of a kind cache. (NOTE: posted from the perspective of someone in one of America's 100 largest Cities, and it's suburbs. Many of the great locations have truly been taken over the years).

However, if your unique, one of a kind cache is located in the Wal-Mart parking lot, I'm still not interested. Like the lady from California, I believe it was, who was featured in the official Geocaching.com blog for making little dioramas under lampskirts. At least give me your average park. Hey, I'd consider most of the parks I've ever been to in North America "cool locations".

Good question...and, I'm going to say BOTH.

My husband loves 'building' things and making one-off custom containers. Nothing special about them and they're far from unique, but we enjoy seeing people's reactions to the containers. At the same time, we enjoy seeing creative, well build, thought out containers also.

And we love getting out and seeing wonderful places & scenery. We love having a pleasant hike with wonderful views and finding an easy old ammo can.....

I also live in a flat, uninteresting landscape, but an interesting location doesn't necessarily mean a breathtaking scenic view. An interesting location can be a historic site, or a local landmark, or an old abandoned structure...if the cache description gives a history of the place or the story behind the location then those types of hides can be quite interesting. If it brings me to a unique place or thing I didn't know about, and I learn something about its history, I like it. Historic sites often get a Favorite point from me. Of course, that's just what I like, YMMV.

+1

I was going to post a similar reply, but you beat me to it.

+1

I was going to post a similar reply, but you beat me to it.

I have a watch on a cache by an old fallout shelter. One of these days, I'm going to make a trip down there.

Another question would be is how rare is a unique cache? I mean a truly one of a kind never been done before type cache, and not a variation of a previous one?

With nearly 1.8 million geocaches out there I doubt there are many at all that have never been done before. Of course there was a first for everything. The first LPC was

unique at one time.

In my area I would have to say crafting a unique container would be easier since many of the primo spots have been claimed. I expected as much since I'm relatively new.

It sucks because I have several caches ready to go but I don't want to place them in a lame location. I like the idea of a geocache being bait to bring you to a cool spot, and have the finder more interested in the location than whatever is found in the cache.

I live right next to the mountains and all the mountain parks have very specific regulations around caches. It is to the point where you can't really put out a cache at all. So, there is a downside to that breath taking vista.

On the flip side, I am sure it breaks hearts when you put your heart and soul into a cache and someone comes along and muggles it!

If you really want to impress people, put out a neat puzzle or something the kids can get into. That is probably the biggest bang for your buck, and it can be easily replaced in kind.

Shaun

I have a watch on a cache by an old fallout shelter. One of these days, I'm going to make a trip down there.

O.O That sounds really interesting... link/GC#?

Edited to keep on topic: I think for me, it'd be easier to find an interesting location, but I'm interested in a lot of things. For instance, there's an old and abandoned auto shop building two lots down from my house that has some beautiful stonework around the entrance. I've been considering putting a cache on my property and directing people in the listing that if that's interesting to them, it's a short walk to check it out. I'd also find out the history of the place and put that in.

I haven't put out any hides, both because I'm relatively inexperienced and because I'm not sure exactly where/how I want to put one out, but I'm not sure how creative I could get with the container and still have it waterproof.

Edited by Lady Loki

Edited to keep on topic: I think for me, it'd be easier to find an interesting location, but I'm interested in a lot of things. For instance, there's an old and abandoned auto shop building two lots down from my house that has some beautiful stonework around the entrance. I've been considering putting a cache on my property and directing people in the listing that if that's interesting to them, it's a short walk to check it out. I'd also find out the history of the place and put that in.

I haven't put out any hides, both because I'm relatively inexperienced and because I'm not sure exactly where/how I want to put one out, but I'm not sure how creative I could get with the container and still have it waterproof.

Going off topic but I think an abandoned auto shop if you could get permission would be an awesome night cache....Pretty much any old abandoned building would be an awesome night cache.

Going off topic but I think an abandoned auto shop if you could get permission would be an awesome night cache....Pretty much any old abandoned building would be an awesome night cache.

I doubt I could get permission... it's got new No Trespassing signs and we've seen several people who we suspect were using it for drug deals. I know they weren't geocachers, in any case. :P But looking at the building and the stonework can be done from the sidewalk and the pavement under the overpass next to it. (It's also in very bad shape, falling down and apparently is a haven for dead tires. <_< )