Use the same custom icon in multiple coins minted at different occations?

wellner

Hello!

I'm thinking of minting a geocoin for a caching team. One side will be the logo for the team, the other side will be something else. My idea is to reuse the logo side in coins in the future and change the design on the other side.

Now, a custom icon woud be cool, but $150 is a lot of money. The guidelines say that the $150 is "a one-time cost". The icon woud be the logo of our caching team. The question is: Can I add more coins to the series later on? If I order 200 coins this year and next year redesign the backside of the coin and mint 200 new ones, will I have to pay $150 again?

/Fredrik

You can add more coins onto the series at any time without buying a new icon. However, you must continue with the same numerical code series and geocoin name. So as long as you choose a generic name that will suffice year over year, you can continue that code series/icon. But if you made XXX Geocoin 2012, and then YYY Geocoin 2013, they would not allow the custom icon to carry forward unless you paid the fee again. This would also apply to your personal coin if you made something like My Caching Team Geocoin V1, and then next year with a new backside die you wanted them to be My Caching Team Geocoin V2. You could not get the custom icon for both series of coins without paying two fees. You'd have to stick with My Caching Team Geocoin forever to continue a single payment icon.

Hope that makes sense. You're free to email me if you have any questions.

TMA

Thanks for the info...I was wondering the same thing about my Cottage Garden coin, which I hope will become a series of 4 seasonal coins. I'm wanting to use the same icon for future coins, so now I know to name my first one just "Cottage Garden" instead of specifying it as "Spring".

Thanks for the info...I was wondering the same thing about my Cottage Garden coin, which I hope will become a series of 4 seasonal coins. I'm wanting to use the same icon for future coins, so now I know to name my first one just "Cottage Garden" instead of specifying it as "Spring".

This comes up in about 1 out of every 20 geocoin jobs I run. I find it very difficult to explain sometimes. However, it appears that even without a morning coffee I seem to have at least gotten a few words in the right order :rolleyes:

TMA

.... I find it very difficult to explain sometimes. ....

How about "New mold = new fee for icon" ?

That isn't the case though. The only things that have to be the same are the coin name and code prefix (didn't know that one...thanks TMA). I have recently taken over production of the Fundy Park and NS Parks annual challenge coins from 3geeks. None of them share a common design but share a common icon for each series.