Waymarking on the fly

Hello,

I wonder if there's a way to use Waymarking kind of on the fly with an IPhone. What I mean is this: I'm on a office surprise daytip tomorrow, thus preparing waypoints is rather pointless as I'm not quite sure where I'll exactly be. The bus might also go via various bridges that are Waymarks. Is there a way to sync your location with the Waymarking website?

I currently don't have a dedicated geocaching app for the phone but plan to get the official one. Though not before tomorrow.

Hello,

I wonder if there's a way to use Waymarking kind of on the fly with an IPhone. What I mean is this: I'm on a office surprise daytip tomorrow, thus preparing waypoints is rather pointless as I'm not quite sure where I'll exactly be. The bus might also go via various bridges that are Waymarks. Is there a way to sync your location with the Waymarking website?

I currently don't have a dedicated geocaching app for the phone but plan to get the official one. Though not before tomorrow.

I wish the Waymarking search page would have a "near you" option, but it doesn't. Usually there are few enough waymarks that I can search by city and see what is there.

Personally, I will Marry geocaching and Waymarking. I can pull up geocaches near me in C:Geo on my phone, then open the page in the web browser, and click view nearby waymarks to the geocache. It gets me there pretty quick.

Easiest thing is to take pictures of things that you pass along the way, and mark down their coordinates. Then search Waymarking when you get home and match up your pictures to things that have waymarks, or create a waymark if the thing that caught your eye hasn't been waymarked.

OK, I've progressed a bit. I just installed the google earth app and it can identify my location. Appearantly I can search on the Waymarking website for waymarks near my and download them straight into google earth. Only: it's not working on the iPhone (assuming I do everything correct. Good chance I don't). And I don't know if the KML file will only contain the waymarks on the first oage, or all in the search.

Any suggestions on this?

edit: ah, now I know why it's not working. The little button to send waymarks directly to google earth creates a search.aspx file instead of a search.kml file :unsure: (and there are indeed only 20 waymarks included). I don't think that's high on the GS priority list, but has this been reported as a bug?

Edited by terratin

On the iPhone you cannot send a file from the browser to a corresponding application. Even when the KML would work correctly on the desktop this route is not open on the iPhone.

There is currently no way to get waymarks into the iPhone without some conversion work on another computer. When you have a Google account you can upload the KMl in Google Maps and then open it from Google Earth in the iPhone or you can create GPX files from waymarks upload it to some webspace and open it in a GPX reader. On-the-fly solutions are not in sight, sorry.

It is possible to do what fi67 proposes on an iPhone, if the phone is jailbroken, and with a half dozen or so jailbroken apps, however, the entire process is time consuming, and fiddly. Plus, according to Apple jailbreaking your iPhone causes global warming, brain cancer, and will void your warranty.

The easiest solution is to go nuts with your camera and photograph everything. If anyone asks you what you are doing, reply "Waymarking. No time to talk. Waymarking".

LOL! I now downloaded a few pages of waymarks, renamed them and emailed them to myself. Then I was able to open them in GE. Unfortunately all the waymarks vanished again after a few hours and i don't see a way of actually saving them.

I'm also looking for a way to download more than 20 waymarks in one file at a time. There are about 200 of them in town and i do enjoy reading about that location instead of just standing about, taking photos in case there's a waymark there. It's just too much fuss to reload so many kml files, and keep them updated.