Entering Coords into Google Maps

TeamMooo

Ok, I'm a techo-moron I'll admit it. I just can't work this out. I want to enter some coordinates into Google maps - they are a WP in a multi, and I want to see what the terrain is like. I need to enter the coordinates into Google maps (or Google Earth, whichever is better) but can't work out how. There's got to be a way!!!

Any help you could provide would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys,

My Google Maps screen doesn't have a "fly to" or a "loc:<coordinates>". Even with the sidebar in view. There's nothing. All the sidebar has in it is "get directions" and "my places".

There is no arrow - it's a big blue blank with just the words "set default location". no arrows...nothing! Surely it can't be this hard!!

Google Maps should look like this:

Fullscreencapture18062012124529bmp.jpg

Just copy the co-ordinates into the search box at the top next to the word "Google"; the green arrow pinpoints those coordinates on the map (in this case it's a cache local to me), the red marker is the nearest point that Google has some kind of entry for (postal address, nearest building, whatever).

Another useful google maps feature is using the shift key to show the coordinates of your cursor on the map.

Although this doesn't work with all browsers...not on Opera anyway. You can right click and 'What's here' to show to co-ordinates.

Just copy the co-ordinates into the search box at the top next to the word "Google"; the green arrow pinpoints those coordinates on the map (in this case it's a cache local to me), the red marker is the nearest point that Google has some kind of entry for (postal address, nearest building, whatever).

That "red marker" can confuse the dickens out of me because Google centers the view there, even when that's far enough away from the true coordinates for them to be off the map. That's why others suggest "loc:N 37° 30.371 W 121° 56.058", which tells Google that you want that precise location, not the nearest address. I actually do something different: "N 37° 30.371 W 121° 56.058 (waypoint 2)". I don't understand why, but that also tells Google to present the precise location and, in addition, gives that point a name that shows up when you hover over it. That can be convenient when you're putting multiple points in the same view.

You may enter coords in the usual format like N37 48.639 W122 25.468 into the search field from Google Maps. BUT Google Maps will focus on what it thinks is the next legitimate adress. If you place loc: in front, it works as expected try it out:

N37 48.542 W122 25.445

loc: N37 48.542 W122 25.445

Might be helpful to know...

Greetings from Germany,

RaNa2009

You may enter coords in the usual format like N37 48.639 W122 25.468 into the search field from Google Maps. BUT Google Maps will focus on what it thinks is the next legitimate adress.

Doesn't for me! You're not the first person to say this, Im just replying here as it's the last post to say it...

It gives me two points - a red roundel thingummy, which is the nearest point of interest I guess, and a green arrow, which is the location. That's also where it centres and zooms on. That's the location you want to aim at - it's where the cache of waypoint is, so it's working fine with the need to use loc: in anyway.

It certainly does this using both Safari and Opera on my Mac. I'm almost entirely certain it does the same thing on Firefox on a PC. Fwiw all I did was stick the coords given about into a standard google search bar and then went to maps (the green arrow points at the round bit on the end of the harbour wall given those coords; the red roundel to Hyde Street Pier).

Edited by Blue Square Thing

You may enter coords in the usual format like N37 48.639 W122 25.468 into the search field from Google Maps. BUT Google Maps will focus on what it thinks is the next legitimate adress.

Doesn't for me! You're not the first person to say this, Im just replying here as it's the last post to say it...

It gives me two points - a red roundel thingummy, which is the nearest point of interest I guess, and a green arrow, which is the location. That's also where it centres and zooms on.

As is shown in the screen shot I put up. Google isn't centered on the red target (that is just the nearest point Google has a note or entry for) but on the green arrow: the screen shot is cropped to reduce the image size for uploading.

The green arrow is where you want to go!

As is shown in the screen shot I put up. Google isn't centered on the red target (that is just the nearest point Google has a note or entry for) but on the green arrow: the screen shot is cropped to reduce the image size for uploading.

Yes - what's confusing me is that it appears it doesn't do that for other people.

Maybe I need to make my original article clearer actually...

Yes - what's confusing me is that it appears it doesn't do that for other people.

Maybe I need to make my original article clearer actually...

For me it works on my Mac (Safari and Firefox) as described:

Without loc:

345e9441-3fbf-4e23-880b-b3e948555e34.png

With loc:

8a0865e1-17d2-4566-83a5-1bdc10ce136e.png

Wow, that's really interesting. I agree it now appears to zero at the coordinates themselves. And it even seems to zoom the map to be sure both the coordinates and its guess at the actual location are visible. I know I've had trouble before with the specific coordinates I was looking at being off the screen because Google put its guess at the center. I think the old behavior's been changed so it finally works the way I'd expect it to. Thanks for pointing that out so I can stop jumping through hoops!