Habakkuk

GregsonVaux

Cointest!!

The two pictures above show my latest geocoin design. What do the images mean? What do the words refer to? Is it trying to say something? If you have some ideas, then please post. The first person to give the most accurate description will get a free copy of the coin.

I am excited about this coin for a number of reasons, but one is the new finishes. These coins will be coming in some colors that no one has ever seen before. I won't know until I am holding them in my hand, but the colors have the potential to be very good.

Edited by GregsonVaux

GOD's Use of utter and complete evil to administer punishment to the sinners, then punishing the instrument used. (the statement used on the front of the coin). This he does to achieve complete trust and faith no matter what was taking place or how awful or how dark things appeared, to find hope in GOD.

The name habakkuk means to “embrace” or “wrestle"

Thanks for the cointest!

Edited by Frank n Beck

Are we allowed to add to previous posts?

Does this verse point forward to the work and gospel of the Messiah, that is, Jesus Christ?

I don't want to say anything about the design, but I will say that each post must stand alone, so no, you can't add to previous posts. However, since you have read them, they may give you clues about what the pictures and words mean.

Put another way, the winning post will be the first that says in detail what each picture and word is referring to. I hope that helps.

Is the building of Babylonian design and does the prophecy foretell of Judah being taken into captivity by the Babylonians. Does the scale show that the weight of one's heart should be greater then a feather or something of that? Like they should turn from their sins and turn to the Lord? I am not sure on the scale side.

Edited by Troutonthebrain

The first coin refers to the Babylonians. The horse and chariot were the main use of them and were swift, dedicated, and ferocious. The verse hints at how we are destined to do great and wondrous things that we would not even think ourselves capable of, even if told. The building refers to how we can accomplish the unimaginable.

The second coin refers to our faith and trust in God. The heart on the scale represents how we follow our heart even when afraid. Such is the life on geocaching that we must follow our heart and instincts to locate the cache ;)

Thanks for the cointest!

I think the coin is about having faith to survive impending tragedy, having confidence in God's justice, & patience in awaiting it to occur.

The front of the coin depicts the Tower of Babylon. In 626 BC, the city of Babylon became the capital of the Babylonian empire. Reaching its peak during the 44-year reign Nebuchadnezzar II, it was a center of trade routes & one of the leading cities of the world. Its magnificent tower was 18 kilometers in circumference, with 26-meter-wide double walls towering 62 meters high. Reliefs of bulls, dragons, and lions decorated many walls and gates. The famous Hanging Gardens were one of the seven wonders of the world.

Nebuchadnezzar built his empire by sending raiding expeditions to collect treasures from conquered territories. In 587 BC, the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem and carried the leading citizens of the Kingdom of Judah as prisoners to Babylon. In 539 B.C., the Persians conquered Babylonia. In 536 B.C., Cyrus' edict released the Hebrew captives to return to Jerusalem & build a temple. Eventually, Alexander of Greece plundered what was left of Babylon, & today, only the foundation of the once great tower & a few steps of the stairway remain.

The back of the coin has verses from the Book of Habakkuk, a Hebrew prophet, which dates to around 600 B.C., just before Nebuchadnezzar's invasion. The outlook for Jerusalem was very bleak, & no one could imagine the fall of such a great power as Babylon.

The scale depicts the weighing of the heart against the Feather of Truth, a belief of the ancient Egyptians. Anubis presided over the Weighing of the Heart, in which the deceased's heart (which contained the soul) was balanced against the feather of truth. If the heart was weighted down by sin, it was eaten by an awaiting beast representing the goddess Ammit (aka the Devourer of Souls). If the scales balanced, the soul began its long & perilous journey to the paradise of Aaru (the Reed Fields), to live for eternity in the presence of Osiris. I'm thinking the connection to the Babylonians must be the sun & moon design on top of the scale,as the Babylonians worshipped the stars.

The quote on the front is from Habakkuk which deals with questioning God as to why good people suffer and the evil people don't. The answer from God is “You wont believe it if I told you.” We have to believe in the wonders that God can do and that He is in control and good will prevail over evil.

The image is of a Heart weighing more than a feather and may refer to Pharaoh’s heart being hardened and therefore not allowing the release of the Israelites, which he did eventually release.

The words behind the scale image speak of God's domination of his enemies.

The horse and wheels could speak of the Egyptian army being destroyed at the crossing of the Red Sea.

The building could be of the tower of Babel which was destroyed by God to show men that He is in more powerful.

Theme of coin: Good (God) will overcome evil.

Nice coin!!! thank you for the cointest! new colours? interesting! :)

Let's see now....

First side:

In Hebrew I see the word Habakkuk writen... if I am not wrong...

The writen part of the Habakkuk 1:5... and they are words from the Lord!

The building is the tower of Babel... which is the Ziggurat Etemenanki... the temple of the foundation of heaven and earth. it was dedicated to Marduk and was builted in the city of Babylon in the 6th century BC...

it originaly was 7 store height and only a little remains are still be seen! The first built of this ziggurat is even older and some say it was made in the 14th or 10th, 9th... century BC..

the wheel and the horse... hmm... the wheel was often symbolized the Sun in the assyrians.. and maybe the horse was the symbol of earth... power...richness, nobility etc... so here it probably has to do with heaven and earth...

I have a personal opinion about what you mean... by using all these symbols and writings... but I will post it in the end! ;)

Back side....

you are writing the Habakkuk name in English by making letters to look like Hebrew! :)

Habakkuk was a prophet in the Hebrew Bible and he wrote the Book of Habakkuk wich is the 8th book of the 12 minor prophets of the hebrew bible! it was probably writen in the late 7th ce BC...

The etymology of the name Habakkuk is not clear and its form has no parallel in Hebrew. The name is possibly related to the Akkadian khabbaququ, the name of a fragrant plant or the Hebrew root חבק‎, meaning "embrace".

the book has 3 chapters... and the first too is a discussion between the prophet and the God.... the thrird... has to do with 5 oracles about the Chaldeans... also known as Babylonians!

the background inscription are the 3:8, 3:11 and 3:12 of the Habakkuk book!

the scale we see is from ancient Egypt! when someone died... he had to pass this thing and be judged...

The Egyptians early in their history realized the connection of the heart to the pulse. An ancient Egyptian medical treatise of the heart says that it "speaks in the vessels of all the members." It is not suprising then that they believed that the heart held the mind and soul of the individual. Unlike the other internal organs, it was never removed and embalmed separately, because its presence in the body was crucial.

It was the heart which was weighed against the feather of truth in the hall of Ma'at during the diving judgement of the deceased. A heart unburdened with the weight of sin and corruption would balance with the feather and its possessor would enjoy the eternal afterlife.

The vital importance of the heart in determining the fate of the deceased in the afterlife lead to a chapter in the Book of the Dead (Spell 30) where the deceased implores his heart not to betray him. In part, it reads:

"O my heart which I had from my mother, O my heart which I had upon earth, do not rise up against me as a witness in the presence of the Lord of Things; do not speak against me concerning what I have done, do not bring up anything against me in the presence of the Great God, Lord of the West."

If the deceased was found to have done wrong and the heart weighed down the scales, he or she was not though to enter a place of tourment like hell, but to cease to exist at all. This idea would have terrified the ancient Egyptians. However, for those who could afford to include Chapter 125 of the Book of the Dead in their tombs, it was almost guaranteed that they would pass successfully into the Afterlife. This is because the Egyptians believed in the magical qualities of the actual writings and illustrations in funerary texts. By depicting the heart balancing in the scales against the feather of Maat they ensured that would be the favourable outcome. The entire ceremony was, after all, symbolic.

Following the Weighing of the Heart, the organ was returned to its owner. To make quite sure that this did happen, Chapters 26-29 of the Book of the Dead were spells to ensure that the heart was returned and this it could never be removed again.

the feather now...

The feather is depicted as a tall ostrich plume whose tip bends over under its own weight. The feather, because of its name, "shut", was a symbol of Shu. Shu was the Egyptian god of the air and the father of the earth (Geb) and the sky (Nut). Shu was often shown wearing a feather in his hair. Occasionally Geb was shown dressed in feathers, a representation of the air which covers him.

Usually, the feather was a symbol of Ma'at, the goddess of truth and order. The goddess was always shown wearing an ostrich feather in her hair. The feather by itself was her emblem. This hall is where the deceased was judged for his worthiness to enter the afterlife. The seat of the deceased's soul, his heart, was weighed on a balance against the feather of Ma'at. If the heart was free from the impurities of sin, and therefore lighter than the feather, then the dead person could enter the eternal afterlife. Other gods in the judgement hall who were part of the tribunal overseeing the weighing of the heart were also pictured holding a feather.

here we see this weighting and as I can see.... the guy was a sinner! :laughing: On the top of the scale.. I see a sun and a moon? maybe this is symbolic too... to show the light and dark, the good and the evil..

I found the negative confessions of the papyrus of Ani.. that the dead was saying but I am not sure...if these arethe right ones...

42 Confessions (Papyrus of Ani)

1. I have not committed sin.

2. I have not committed robbery with violence.

3. I have not stolen.

4. I have not slain men and women.

5. I have not stolen grain.

6. I have not purloined offerings.

7. I have not stolen the property of the god.

8. I have not uttered lies.

9. I have not carried away food.

10. I have not uttered curses.

11. I have not committed adultery, I have not lain with men.

12. I have made none to weep.

13. I have not eaten the heart [i.e I have not grieved uselessly, or felt remorse].

14. I have not attacked any man.

15. I am not a man of deceit.

16. I have not stolen cultivated land.

17. I have not been an eavesdropper.

18. I have slandered [no man].

19. I have not been angry without just cause.

20. I have not debauched the wife of any man.

21. I have not debauched the wife of [any] man. (repeats the previous affirmation but addressed to a different god).

22. I have not polluted myself.

23. I have terrorised none.

24. I have not transgressed [the Law].

25. I have not been wroth.

26. I have not shut my ears to the words of truth.

27. I have not blasphemed.

28. I am not a man of violence.

29. I am not a stirrer up of strife (or a disturber of the peace).

30. I have not acted (or judged) with undue haste.

31. I have not pried into matters.

32. I have not multiplied my words in speaking.

33. I have wronged none, I have done no evil.

34. I have not worked witchcraft against the King (or blasphemed against the King).

35. I have never stopped [the flow of] water.

36. I have never raised my voice (spoken arrogantly, or in anger).

37. I have not cursed (or blasphemed) God.

38. I have not acted with evil rage.

39. I have not stolen the bread of the gods.

40. I have not carried away the khenfu cakes from the Spirits of the dead.

41. I have not snatched away the bread of the child, nor treated with contempt the god of my city.

42. I have not slain the cattle belonging to the god

I am pure!

I hope I will find the meaning of the Hebrew inscription I see there... but... I will need help in that! huh!

anyway... I will say what I believe the coin is trying to say...

you will not be devine with amazing structures, by war, strength and power.. you will not reach God like that but only if you follow His rules and stay in the path of virtue! Only then your heart and soul will be lighter than a feather... without evil to spoil you.. but full of innocence.. and the after life in Heaven will wait you!

so... in case Iwill manage to find the meaning of the hebrew inscription... I will write that too! :)

Info take from:

http://www.egyptianmyths.net/

http://www.egyptian-scarabs.co.uk/weighing_of_the_heart.htm

This is a smart group!

People are definitely barking up the right tree or at least close to the right tree, but no one has gotten everything right yet. I am pretty sure that someone will have everything right in the not too distant future.

More about the colors. There are 120 different colors of glass that can put onto a coin and some of them are unlike anything seen on a geocoin before. I did a lot of playing with colors for this design and some of the editions will be unusual. However, I won't know for sure what they look like until they are delivered to me. It will not be cheap to put so much glass onto coins, but I went crazy with this design. One edition in particular could be really strange and my plan is to make it the mystery edition.

Edited by GregsonVaux

It the inscription says that.... then it is definatelly a nail for the 2 super powers of that time.. Babylon and Egypt....

From both civilizations.. Hebrews suffered a lot!!!! they were slaves in egypt and Babylonians captured Jerusalem and destroyed the Temple of Salomon...!!

In Egypt they had RA... the Sun god and actually it was the biggest God they had!!! their calendar was a solar one... so Sun meant everything for them....

Do you remember the name of the Egyptian pharaoh... who suffered the 10 plagues... until he says ok so Egyptians can leave Egypt... but then he went after them.... etc? His name was Rameses... also known as Ramses... correct? what is the meaning of the name? Begotten by Ra, the sun god... so the son of the Sun God RA...

Bebylonians had a God of Moon as one of the mains Gods and even their calendar was a Luni one... so the Moon meant a lot ot them....

So this inscription definatelly has to do with these! maybe it wants to say.. that there is only one true God... all the other are fakes... and all the things you do to be nice to them... is nothing... just be humble, follow the God's will and sayings... stay pure and when the time comes... you will win the entrance to the Heaven..

em... of course this post is as an add to my other huge one! :laughing:

in case the "rubbish" is not correct... and only the Sun Moon... are right... maybe this is from this part of habakuk

The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear. Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger. (Habakkuk 3:11,12)

do you know the greek name of Habakuk? :) it is Αββακούμ

according to the name wich is the greek way of the hebrew name... it is not changed..

the name means a passionate embrace, but others believe it means Father of uprising (αββα = father and Κουμ = uprising).... I am wondering is that is the same with the Hebrew language... :)

I think I have found the connection between the scales on the back of the coin, & the fall of Babylon. It just so happens that one of the young Jewish captives who was enslaved after Nebuchadnezzar sacked Jerusalem was Daniel, who quickly proved his value in the King's service as an interpreter of dreams. Daniel was still around in 539 B.C., when Nebuchadnezzar's successor, King Belshazzar, hosted a great feast for 1000 of his lords in the royal palace. Belshazzar greatly insulted the Hebrew servants by ordering them to bring the gold & silver vessels that had been stolen from the temple in Jerusalem, for the guests to drink their unclean wine, all the while praising their pagan gods. Suddenly a disembodied hand appeared & wrote some words on the palace wall: mene, tekel, & upharsin. These were the Aramaic names of weights & monetary values, so what did the inscription mean? Daniel was called in to interpret them: mene meant God had numbered the days of the Babylonian kingdom, tekel meant you have been weighed on the scales & found wanting, & upharsin meant that the kingdom would be divided. Sure enough, while the feasting & revelry had been going on in the palace, outside in the darkness, the forces of King Cyrus of Persia, along with the Medes, had been penetrating the city's walls. The joint attack surprised Belshazzar's forces, Babylon fell, & Babylonia was divided between Persia & Medes.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by GoldBugGirl

Front:

Hebrew inscription for Habakkuk, Hebrew whose prophecy dates from around 600 B.C., concerning the alarming ambitions of Babylonian King Nebuchadnezzar, who had already driven the Egyptians out of Asia & annexed Syria to the Babylonian Empire.

Verse Hb 1, 5: the Lord answers Habakkuk, who has questioned why the pagan kingdom is allowed to pose such a threat to God's people, by assuring him that he has an amazing plan.

Tower of Babylon: imposing tower rebuilt to grand scale from earlier Mesopotamian ziggurat; along with the great walls around the city, the Hanging Gardens, & the temple of Marduk, it marked Nebuchadnezzar's reign (605-562 B.C.) as the Golden Age of Babylon.

Horse & chariot wheel: symbolizes Nebuchadnezzar's raiding expeditions to collect slaves & treasures from conquered territories, described in Hb 1, 6-12. "Swifter than leopards are his horses, & keener than wolves at evening." In 587 B.C., the Babylonians destroyed Jerusalem and carried the leading citizens of the Kingdom of Judah as prisoners to Babylon.

Back:

Habakkuk's name repeated.

Hb 3, 8-12: God appears in all his majestic splendor & executes vengeance on Judah's enemy.

Scale: depicts the weighing of the heart against the Feather of Truth, the ritual judgement of the soul in Egyptian belief. I think this symbol refers to the prophecy of Daniel in The Book of Daniel, Chapter 5 (see my previous post) which predicted the conquest of Babylon by the Persians under King Cyrus in 539 B.C. In 536 B.C., Cyrus' edict released the Hebrew captives to return to Jerusalem & build a temple, thus fulfilling God's promise to Habakkuk.

Solar eclipse: To the Babylonians, the celestial phenomena were signs from the gods, especially phenomena related to the moon-god Sin & the sun-god Samas. Eclipses were considered to be particularly evil omens. By studying centuries of recorded observations, Babylonian astronomers were eventually able to predict lunar eclipses (& eventually, solar eclipses) with a fair accuracy. Since these eclipses could now be predicted in advance, diviners could employ incantations & rituals to attempt to dispel the evil.

Hebrew inscription for "Sun/moon was rubbish" expressing Hebrew opinion of pagan worship.

In summary, I think the coin is about having faith to survive desperate situations, having confidence in God's justice, & patience in awaiting it to occur.

Does that cover it?

There's no science in this design?

All my knowledge for this cointest is worthless! Neat coin design however. Can't wait to see the glass effects.

I think that there is some science in the coin, but I will admit that there is not a lot. Are anthropology and archeology science? There is some of those topics. There is also some anatomy and one other subject that I can't name since it would give away part of the cointest.

About the glass effects, the mint is balking on those, so I just have to hope that it works out.

GoldBugGirl and Gatoulis,

Both of you did great in figuring out my coin's message, so you will both be getting a free coin when they are done! I will contact you when they are ready.

Here is my explanation:

Front - The word at the top is "Habakkuk" written in Hebrew. The building is the Great Ziggurat and represents the Babylonian Empire. The background image is a war horse and a chariot wheel representing the Babylonian war machine. The text is from the first chapter of Habakkuk and is perhaps as relevant today as it was when it was first written. The idea in Habakkuk is that the the people of Judea and Jerusalem had become unjust and cruel. The Babylonians were used by God as a tool to bring an end to the corrupt Judean government.

Back - This side of the coin shows a heart and feather being weighed on a scale. This imagery is well known from the Egyptian concept of judgement in which the heart of a person is weighed against the feather of Maat (truth). The balance shows that the person (most likely an influential citizen of Jerusalem) is weighed down with sin. The imagery also comes from the book of Daniel in which the king is told "You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting." The text at the bottom says "sun and moon stood still in the heavens." The top of the scale shows the sun and the moon in an eclipse to give gravity to God's judgement. The text in the background is from Habakkuk chapter 3.

I chose to make this coin simply because almost no one would ever choose to feature the book of Habakkuk in anything. I just wanted to breath new life into a neglected passage from literature. In truth, I don't expect the average person to have any idea of what the words and images mean, I want a person holding it to find it compelling and mysterious. The text on the front is meant to be ambiguous, but giving a sense of expectation.

There were some hold-ups in getting this coin minted, but now it seems to be going forward.

WOW!! :) thank you so much my friend! it is surelly a special coin not only because of the special finishes but for what it has on it.... really good job! :) Thank you for the great cointest and the chance to search and find... and learn! ;)

Congrats to GoldBugGirl too! :D

shall we send our address now or when the coin is ready? :)

Edited by GATOULIS

Looking forward to adding this meaningful coin to my collection! Love the intriguing design with its story unfolding from front to back. Thank you, Gregson Vaux,for inspiring this fascinating investigation (I even learned some Hebrew letters!) & for your generosity. Congrats to GATOULIS as well.

WOW!! :) thank you so much my friend! it is surelly a special coin not only because of the special finishes but for what it has on it.... really good job! :) Thank you for the great cointest and the chance to search and find... and learn! ;)

Congrats to GoldBugGirl too! :D

shall we send our address now or when the coin is ready? :)

I'm honored that you took the time to figure out what the words and images mean. I'll contact you and get your address when the coins come in.

I received three samples recently and they look fantastic. I experimented with glass colors and there is one particular transparent color that is breathtaking. It's unlike any other transparent color that I have ever seen. I'm not sure if I will show a picture of that coin because I might make it a mystery edition, but I will be sure to use that color again. Mostly, I just want to let everyone know that work is still progressing.

Edited by GregsonVaux

GoldBugGirl and Gatoulis,

The coins are in! I have started selling them on eBay and will soon have them in my store. Each of you can choose from one of the three following versions:

Phoenician

Chaldean

Babylonian

Please send me your address, phone number, and e-mail addresses by contacting me through my store at this link.

My store

The reason that I need your phone and e-mail addresses is for mailing packages, especially overseas.

Congratulations again and thanks for taking part in the cointest.

I was excited to see the various Kabakkuk editions starting to show up--congrats on your outstanding design! Thanks again for the cointest, & now for this generous choice of prizes. All 3 are beautiful; my choice is the Chaldean, because of the gorgeous effect of the green on gold :wub: . Email sent.

Thanks, the Chaldeans turned out really well. There are ten editions in all. My wife and I picked out the two best looking ones to be the mystery editions. Both are colored with glass and one in particular looks like no geocoin I have seen before because of the colors. It is so good that I will definitely be using that color of glass on other coins.

I was excited to see the various Kabakkuk editions starting to show up--congrats on your outstanding design! Thanks again for the cointest, & now for this generous choice of prizes. All 3 are beautiful; my choice is the Chaldean, because of the gorgeous effect of the green on gold :wub: . Email sent.

Thanks, the Chaldeans turned out really well. There are ten editions in all. My wife and I picked out the two best looking ones to be the mystery editions. Both are colored with glass and one in particular looks like no geocoin I have seen before because of the colors. It is so good that I will definitely be using that color of glass on other coins.

GREAT coins! It's hard to pick a favorite!!!! Just out of curiosity, how will you be putting out the mystery editions? My curiosity is peaked!

Here are some of the other editions:

Israelite

Ammonite

Gileadite

Edomite

Judean

All of them are colored with glass, which gives transparent colors that are different from the 24 that we usually see.

I am such a purple person - I think the Judean is my fav! Will you be selling those on ebay?

edited 'cause I can't spell.

Edited by steben6

I am such a purple person - I think the Judean is my fav! Will you be selling those on ebay?

Yes, the glass editions will be sold on eBay. I'll cycle through them all every three weeks. The three other editions are available on eBay and I will be selling some on my web store for a fixed price soon. I think both mystery editions turned out well, but the mystery II is my favorite.

Yes, the glass editions will be sold on eBay. I'll cycle through them all every three weeks. The three other editions are available on eBay and I will be selling some on my web store for a fixed price soon. I think both mystery editions turned out well, but the mystery II is my favorite.

Can't wait!

WOW!!!!! amazing editions!!!!

From the 3 I have to choose... I loved the Chaldean!! it is so pretty gold and that green! So.. if it is ok.. I will choose this one! :)

I will send you my info right away...

Can I ask something? I can not see clearly what are the metal colours in each edition... and since I love to keep info of coins and all its variations.. of the ones I have.. :D

The 3 first are not with glass... or all are with glass colours?

The mystery coins..... I do not know why but something stuck in my head... about a colour.. but I do not know if it even exists... or used by you! :)

since it is a mystery version... I will not post my thinking... but I will send it to you... ;)

Thank you so much once agai nfor the great cointest, the great coin and the great history lesson.. when I was trying to find out what was on the coin... and in my searches.. I learned a lot of things... plus that there is a church here dedicated to Habakkuk!!!!! it is a very old church!

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

Out of the ten editions, three are colored with imitation hard enamel, which is a kind of resin. This finish is not as durable, but for a while, it is much smoother and clearer than glass. The other seven editions are colored with glass. While it is not as smooth as the imitation hard enamel, it will still be beautiful in hundreds or even thousands of years because it is not destroyed by exposure to air and light. It is also harder than steel and thus is very difficult to scratch.

Your coin has been mailed, so unless it gets stuck in customs, you should have it very soon.