"Hobby-Crossover" Cache Rules?

My first cache had just been published and put into play. It's a nice, big ammo box with the usual suspects: a logbook, writing utensil, trade goods, a trackable or two on occasion. But I'm not just a Geocacher. I'm also a Bookcrosser. (For those who do not know what Bookcrossing is about, check out Bookcrossing.)

The basic spirit of BookCrossing is similar to Geocaching, but we leave registered (trackable) books in various places for other Bookcrossers to pick up, read, enjoy and pass along as they see fit. The Bookcrosser makes an online entry about the book s/he has obtained - entries may contain such information as where they got it, where they're taking it, whether they'll read or have already read it, if they loved it, hated it, etc.

My question: Is it ok to place a BookCrossing-registered book into a cache? The book would be logged onto both the BookCrossing website as well as the Geocaching site: The BookCrossing site, to let Bookcrossers know that it's out there and huntable; The Geocaching site as cache inventory. Any Bookcrosser who wants to look for it, though, would have to go through Geocaching.com to follow the same clues as any other cacher to make the grab.

It would be a way to introduce Bookcrossers to Geocaching as well as Geocachers to Bookcrossing. (Surely, there are others out there like me!)

Your thoughts: ??

Happy caching!!!

Spiritwolf922

I don't know anything really about bookcrossing except that I've seen it referenced here before. You might check out some of these threads for some more information;:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=109164

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=277212

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=167171

Thanks for the links; I will check them out! :)

I've found several bookcrossing registered books in caches and there are 36 caches listed with the word "Bookcrossing" in their name. There are other caches which call themselves "Library Cache", or similar. I enjoy them all - These days it's unusual to find a cache large enough to take a book, let alone several books!

MrsB :)

You're right; it is hard to find big caches. I had trouble finding a cache that was big enough to accommodate a large geocoin that I'd found somewhere else. That's why I made my first cache a multi - the tiny one was easily hidden and I planted the bigger one where it was easily camouflaged. It's an ammo box, so no hardbacks, but it could definitely hold two paperbacks along with its other swag.

I've found several bookcrossing registered books in caches and there are 36 caches listed with the word "Bookcrossing" in their name. There are other caches which call themselves "Library Cache", or similar. I enjoy them all - These days it's unusual to find a cache large enough to take a book, let alone several books!

MrsB :)

I know my oldest was disappointed that he couldn't pass on one of the books he loved when we went out caching the first time after he got here.

I have to say I had never even heard of bookcrossing until reading this thread. Went at looked at the link listed and found it very interesting. Might have to start doing this with some of the books my wife has collected over the years. Great way to get them out of the house and for others to enjoy them! Thanks for the information, and I see no problem at all for dropping off books like this in caches.

We've also found two caches that featured bookcrossing. The problem I noticed with both was that the containers, in both cases large ammo cans, were crammed full. If we had wanted to actually exchange books, we cound not have done so. I think the CO should monitor the cache every few weeks to be sure it doesn't get too full. Also, you may want to request that finders only exchange books, not large TB's or McDonald toys!

I have encountered many themed caches that were designed to exchange items (CDs, baseball cards, comic books, paperbacks,etc) I see no issue with books. Not sure about the interregistration between the 2 listing sites, but I would not imagine they are insurmountable. Just be sure the original book is dropped, not a copy ( to comply with applicable copyright laws) and be sure the container is well weatherproofed.

I have encountered many themed caches that were designed to exchange items (CDs, baseball cards, comic books, paperbacks,etc) I see no issue with books. Not sure about the interregistration between the 2 listing sites, but I would not imagine they are insurmountable. Just be sure the original book is dropped, not a copy ( to comply with applicable copyright laws) and be sure the container is well weatherproofed.

We only use originals, and most of us who drop books into the (outside) wild put them in special BookCrossing ziptop bags that have a Ballycumber symbol and instructions. No worries about that. Also, I just checked on my ammo box this morning. We had a pretty intense rainstorm Saturday night, and nary a drop in the box. :)

As to the interregistration, anyone who finds a BookCrossing registered book is encouraged to make a journal entry at BookCrossing.com, but they are not required to join BookCrossing in order to do it! That's the beauty of BookCrossing... you can do it anonymously! :)

Sounds kinda neat. I have found and traded books in several caches, that is always fun.

Not sure that geocachers are going to go to the bookcrossing site to check things in and out though, or that bookcrossers are likely to look for geocaches. But if bookcrossers find geocaches and trade books, I'd be okay with that too as long as they replace the cache.

I think you would probably lose the 'tracking' of the books, but I think people would enjoy a good read.

We've also found two caches that featured bookcrossing. The problem I noticed with both was that the containers, in both cases large ammo cans, were crammed full. If we had wanted to actually exchange books, we cound not have done so. I think the CO should monitor the cache every few weeks to be sure it doesn't get too full. Also, you may want to request that finders only exchange books, not large TB's or McDonald toys!

As to the maintenance of such a cache, this shouldn't ever be a problem for me. I intend to check on the cache at least weekly, particularly during the summer, since I will need to do some weed maintenance anyway. Since I work practically on top of the cache, it's not a big deal to hop out at lunchtime to make sure that the cache is intact and unmuggled. There are trinkets and even one McDonald's toy (!), but there's still plenty of room to handle two or three paperbacks. I'm reading a book right now that I'm planning on registering and sticking in the box. When I do so, I'll create a new BookCrossing point on their website and include the coordinates of my microcache and invite them to join in the fun of Geocaching.