Collectible or Not?

DKBrownies

I stumbled onto an outta the way cache and found an activated Geocoin in it. It was cool, and MARKED AS COLLECTABLE so I brought it home and moved it into my Inventory.

Was this wrong?

I saw it as:

Hey; the last guy put an awesome prize in an out of the way cache that doesn't get many visitors to entice the next person to find it.

Thoughts?

It might be, that you really found a coin, which someone set out as a prize.

Probably you found a coin of someone, who got confused with this irritating function, which even native English speakers are not really comprehending.

The right answer can only come from the coin owner, so please contact that cacher and ask about this matter.

I know, I wouldn't assume the coin is a prize for me to keep, if it is activated. Most coinowners want their trackables out and about traveling. There are just a few (two that I know of, at least), who sent their coins out as presents.

It is much more likely, that someone didn't understand the concept behind 'make item collectible'...

When you grab a coin from a cache it automatically goes to your inventory but unless it says specifically that you can keep it you should drop it in another cache. I assume that every coin that I find in a cache is a traveler and have never looked whether it was marked collectible or not. MOST activated coins that you find out in the wild are there to travel and not to be added to someone's collection unless it says on the coins page specifically that you may keep it if you want. If there is any question at all contact the coin owner. I have found one activated coin that the page said it could be kept and one that the owner said if you like it he would trade it for one of yours out of about 500 trackables that I have moved. The desigination of collectible on the page is basically meaningless because different people understand it different ways.

When you grab a coin from a cache it automatically goes to your inventory but unless it says specifically that you can keep it you should drop it in another cache. I assume that every coin that I find in a cache is a traveler and have never looked whether it was marked collectible or not. MOST activated coins that you find out in the wild are there to travel and not to be added to someone's collection unless it says on the coins page specifically that you may keep it if you want. If there is any question at all contact the coin owner. I have found one activated coin that the page said it could be kept and one that the owner said if you like it he would trade it for one of yours out of about 500 trackables that I have moved. The desigination of collectible on the page is basically meaningless because different people understand it different ways.

+1 - I really, really, really wish Groundspeak would sort this, but for the sake of a very, very, VERY small number of coins which truely are designated as collectible they seem to see fit to confuse and annoy everyone else with this STUPID option! I wish they would stop trying to develop new features, and fix the issues they have got right now!

Edited by keewee

+1 - I really, really, really wish Groundspeak would sort this, but for the sake of a very, very, VERY small number of coins which truely are designated as collectible they seem to see fit to confuse and annoy everyone else with this STUPID option! I wish they would stop trying to develop new features, and fix the issues they have got right now!

We really need a like button on some of these comments...lol!