3D Topographic Maps

Hi everyone:

I have started a group currently called Raised Relief Maps to possibly create a category for 3D Topographical Maps. These 3D maps help us to understand and visualize land areas to understand the unique geography and/or hydrology and/or geology of the area. (See photos below)

I envision the category to encourage the discovery of these 3D topo maps that reveal the Earth's land areas (both land as well as the ocean's topography) and maps from planets in the galaxy. The maps would have to be a unique item and not mass-produced at a map factory (there are commercial plastic 'vaccu-form' type 3D maps available for purchase). While the maps are most often horizontal and made of plaster-covered Styrofoam or cardboard, I have also seen vertically mounted ones made of clay or ceramic. Some of the maps I have seen include interactive functions of lights to demonstrate unique geographic features. The maps are usually found in visitor centers, museums, or parks. Most are about 4' by 6', but I have seen larger ones in parks.

The reason for this category is that Exact Replicas will not accept these replicas of topography. The category only accepts human fashioned items (I am not complaining; it is just a restriction of their category). In essence, this is an Exact Replica of Land proposal!

These photos are of a 3D Topographical Map of the Grand Mesa in Colorado.

IMG_4238asm.JPG

IMG_4239asm.JPG

IMG_4243asm.JPG

I've hesitated with these because they are almost always in a building. I really think that for the most part, since Waymarking is about identifying the location of objects/sites with geographical coordinates, indoor objects are not very suitable. Sometimes any obtainable coordinates are quite a distance from the object.

These are quite interesting, though, so it might work. And, there certainly are some interesting ones out doors. I submitted this one to the Relief Sculptures category: f464c450-d58f-43be-9ea3-edc54a9d438f.JPGMy link

It must cover close to 1000 sq ft

To answer several of the questions:

Indoor Buildings - Yes, I agree that these are often indoors, but most often found in a visitor center or museum; both of which have generous visiting hours and many other items that are Waymarked are mainly found indoors.

Maps for the vision-impaired: How cool is that!! I've never seen such a thing. Yes, they would go into this category.

As I mentioned before, the Exact Replica category will not accept anything that is not a replica of something human fashioned (OK, man-made!). I think these land form/land use 3D maps are a great item to Waymark as they are a wonderful teaching tool of many items we commonly Waymark that are found on land (or the ocean). For instance, rivers, canyons, parks, volcanoes, other natural landmarks, etc.

Thanks for the interest!! The Raised Relief Maps group is accepting members.

Outspoken1

@Tante.Hossi:

These kind of sculptures are accepted in the "Realistic Object Sculptures" category.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMB1P5_Historic_City_of_Erfurt_Erfurt_TH

They also fit into orientation tables. http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMAZDT_York_Minster_Orientation_Table_York_UK

As far as 3D Topographic Maps are concerned, I like the idea. However I think I would limit them to natural features like the original picture. Although some of the other examples are in 3D (including the 2 above) they don't really illustrate the topograhy of the ground, only show where the different buildings are located.

Having said that I also have another example that could be said to fit both categories (there's always an exception) http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBX29_Town_Orientation_Table_Marsden_UK

In this case it shows buildings but also the layout of the surrounding hills, although not to scale.

...Here's an example from Gran Canaria, showing the topography of all the islands of the archipelago...

Wow! Great find :yikes:

Actually, that's not all. The whole ensemble is quite cheesy (I'm sure there's a category for that as well :lol: ) Below this is a fountain of some sort with tile-covered benches on one side showing all the communities of the island. 6777977360_5ef487c7a1_o.jpg It's.. interesting, and a weired place anyway :blink::lol:

Hi everyone!

The Officers have created and approved the category, so we have just been sent to Peer Vote. I would like to ask for you kind 'Yea' and any other comments you may have after seeing the final category.

Thanks in advance for your support,

Outspoken1

I am keeping a list of suggestions for category improvement that we will utilize should the category pass Peer Review. Thanks for the input.

To clarify why the model of the castle is not acceptable - it would fit in Exact Replicas as a man-made item. The castle model does not really 'ahow-off' the geography of the castle location. The purpose of a 3D map Model is to show how geography/hydrology/etc., influenced the location of an area and/or the development of a town. (We will clarify this on the category page if the category is approved). Exact Replicas will not accept replicas of landscapes/geography/hydrology. No criticism of Exact Replicas - this is just a limitation of their category (one of my favorite categories!).

Yes, cross-posting is allowed (item that fits in other categories).

Thanks for your support,

Outspoken1

Thank you sooo much for approving our category. We have incorporated many of the suggestions from the members who voted.

To repeat - we are not 'parsing' a category. Exact Replicas category does not accept landform models - they only want man-made items. I have no complaint about that restriction, but that is why we created this category.

We look forward to your wonderful submissions!

Thanks,

Outspoken1, N!TR0 and Lord Abercrombie

I'm no handyman, but the icon for this category looks like a wrench. Is it, or am I just not looking at it the right way? :rolleyes:

I believe the 'wrench' icon means that Bootron (or whoever) has not yet designed an icon for the category. The Millstone category has the same logo. Artists need time and we want cool icons!! Thanks for designing those cool icons!

Outspoken1

I'm no handyman, but the icon for this category looks like a wrench. Is it, or am I just not looking at it the right way? :rolleyes:

I believe the 'wrench' icon means that Bootron (or whoever) has not yet designed an icon for the category. The Millstone category has the same logo. Artists need time and we want cool icons!! Thanks for designing those cool icons!

Outspoken1

Got it. I wondered if I was just missing the connection between a wrench and the category.

I was born without the gene for creativity, so anything the Groundspeak artists come up with is way better than anything I could draw!