Beaten by Technology

I changed GPS devices a few weeks ago going for the Etrex 20 after owning an Etrex H. What a mistake!!!! On my old GPS I could enter coordinates (say as part of a multi cache) and name them anything I liked (001/002) for example. The lack of maps didn't bother me as I have almost all of UK on Memory Map, so using this in conjunction with GSAK, I could pick & choose geocaches use GSAK to send them to the GPS and MM.

Now I find I need a whole new set of software to go geocaching with.....BaseCamp/Birds Eye Select/EasyGps/OpenStreetMap/WinZip/Mapinstall/ the list goes on...the galling thing is that nowhere can I find (as yet) a comprehensive guide/write up on how all this fits together and how to use them.

I'm now waiting on the arrival of a mini SD card (I think this is to download 'OpenStreetmap) on, plus a USB adapter.

I'm really battling and almost ready to go back to the 'H'.

PS: I can't even seem to unzip the 'gpx files Groundspeak sent me as a pocket query. How do you get the PQ on the GPS/Map/anywhere!!

Interesting, you say you don't need maps, but much of what you are trying to accomplish deals with mapping.......

I use NONE of what you named, so... I am no help there.

To unzip a file however, just right-click on it. You computer will (should) be able to unzip w/o any additional programming. You then just drag the unzipped GPX file(s) to your device memory or card.

Thanks Guys...I was in a real growly mood this am. Was getting very frustrated. Managed to unzip my PQ files and dragged them over to EasyGPS, but thats as far as I've got. My biggest bug remains is inputting coordinates and telling the GPS 'Take Me There' - can't get my head around this one!!

Again.....many thanks for all input so far!

Thanks Guys...I was in a real growly mood this am. Was getting very frustrated. Managed to unzip my PQ files and dragged them over to EasyGPS, but thats as far as I've got. My biggest bug remains is inputting coordinates and telling the GPS 'Take Me There' - can't get my head around this one!!

Again.....many thanks for all input so far!

As you use GSAK already, it's dead easy. Merely use "Send waypoints to GPS" and whatever caches you've selected will be sent to the Etrex 20, along with all the necessary details. Want to add some more without overwriting the first lot? Simply change the name of the file name in the "Send waypoints to GPS" box (took me ages to find that out!). No need for additional software, GSAK is perfect.

When you've selected a multicache and have deduced the next coordinates, there's an option for it on the Etrex: "Enter Next Stage".

Having had some teething problems with the 20 myself, I hope this helps get you convinced that it's worth persevering with.

Oh, and no need to unzip the GPX files, just open the zip file in GSAK and it sorts it out for you.

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Now I find I need a whole new set of software to go geocaching with.....BaseCamp/Birds Eye Select/EasyGps/OpenStreetMap/WinZip/Mapinstall/ the list goes on...the galling thing is that nowhere can I find (as yet) a comprehensive guide/write up on how all this fits together and how to use them.

I'm now waiting on the arrival of a mini SD card (I think this is to download 'OpenStreetmap) on, plus a USB adapter.

Go for talkytoasters maps... Check out here in the UK and Ireland forum.

Hi Happy Humphrey....yes, I will stick with it but last night while playing around, I couldn't delete my gpx files from the Garmin. I went into it the usual way...My Computer/Garmin/GPX/delete but got message saying 'cannot read from the source file or disk' - any thoughts on this one? I did eventually manage to delete them on the Etrex but still not sure if what I've done is right.

I also recall that you can reset the etrex to factory default settings by pressing 3 x buttons simultaneously. Any ideas which they are?

Thanks

On my resource site is a simple document explaining PQ's and how to transfer them to the GPS without any software. They are just files you can 'drag n drop' or 'copy n paste'. You get all the cache info and waypoints.

You can use GSAK to manipulate the file beforehand and then export it to the GPS.

Finally, to add a waypoint just press the Mark Waypoint button on the screen and you then have the options to edit the name and location (change the coordinates). Here is the user manual (searchable PDF document).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus