Oregon x50 (WebUpdater) software version 5.80

AndyT1

Change History

Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.80:

Added new route activity types and improved BaseCamp compatibility. See TrailTech (http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2012/05/get-active-with-garmin.html) for more information.

Added support for Kenwood NMEA Waypoint Sentence

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Fixed issue with preserving routes imported from BaseCamp (identical maps required)

Fixed Spell Search in German

Fixed possible issue with Where To? > Address searching

It looks like after you have navigated somewhere, you then the re-navigate and override to navigation settings associated with the profile and use the ones on the 'route activity' .

Although I'm not sure what the difference between 'Automotive on-road' and 'motorcycle on-road' can be?? :huh:

WebUpdater not updating here. Brings up the % box which shows a completed extraction process, then briefly fires off a DOS cmd box which appears to do nothing and closes. When I'm done, I still have the 2.5.5.0 version.

Tried both executing the older version which attempts to update itself, and downloaded the newer version of the updater *.exe from Garmin. Same results. Without that (or perhaps a *.gcd of the new firmware to drop on the old updater) no update is possible here.

Edited by ecanderson

Updated without any problems and after updating my Oregon 450 I noticed that I now had a new file in the units internal memory in folder C:/Garmin Oregon/Garmin/GPX/Current/3819983149.lpt. Does anyone know what this .lpt folder is? It may be just a coincidence that it appeared right after I updated to v5.80, but it had never been there before. What does it do and can it be deleted since it hadn't been there before?

I had trouble even downloading the update.

With webupdater I got the warning about updating from pre-4.8 software, then the t&c, then a box popped up that says the update file is corrupt and it went on to check for additional updates.

With dashboard the download progress bar for the update got to about halfway then errored.

I finally found a link on the Oregon 450 support page that took me to somewhere I could download an update to 5.7 which installed ok once I had downloaded it as an exe file so I'm now up to 5.7, hopefully a link will appear shortly where I can download 5.8 !

Edited by ceeG

I had trouble updating using Dashboard, also. It seemed to download the update ok, but when I disconnected the GPS from the pc and turned it on it did not go through the normal install process for new software; just turned on as normal. So I checked the software version on the GPS and it had not changed. Then I used Webudater and all worked fine and installed without any problems. I have a hunch that the unsuccessful install using Dashboard may be when the .lpt file was created but have no way of knowing for sure.

Having tried to get WebUpdater to update itself, I gave up. Finally just downloaded the new WebUpdater installer manually from Garmin. That installer didn't run, either -- nothing unpacked although it claimed to have done so (100% progress). So I extracted the content of the installer *.exe (it's a self extracting zip) to a folder. Executed the install.exe program that was unpacked and got the new version of WebUpdater installed and running. Was then able to use the new WebUpdater to move up to 5.80 on my Oregon.

Having tried to get WebUpdater to update itself, I gave up. Finally just downloaded the new WebUpdater installer manually from Garmin. That installer didn't run, either -- nothing unpacked although it claimed to have done so (100% progress). So I extracted the content of the installer *.exe (it's a self extracting zip) to a folder. Executed the install.exe program that was unpacked and got the new version of WebUpdater installed and running. Was then able to use the new WebUpdater to move up to 5.80 on my Oregon.

What OS are you running?

I'm on XP SP3 and it was smooth sailing, the updater software first updated itself, then I used Webupdater to upgrade the OR 450.

I will say the altitude profile has reach new levels of inaccuracy. May go back to 4.50.

I reverted to v5.50, v5.80 had serious problems with the trip odometer.

After a reset and verifying that the trip odometer was at zero feet, I'd hike a quarter-mile and check the trip odometer and it would say 19-miles. This happened on two different occasions. My take is that it is adding the distance from the last location (days ago) to the TO value. Also it added a connecting track line from my last location to the start of my new hike, made for an ugly track line in screenshots. Neither of these happened in v4.50. If v5.50 is no better, I'll go back to v4.50.

What OS are you running?

I'm on XP SP3 and it was smooth sailing, the updater software first updated itself, then I used Webupdater to upgrade the OR 450.

I will say the altitude profile has reach new levels of inaccuracy. May go back to 4.50.

Sorry for the belated reply. Have been 'out on the flats' lately so cannot speak to the quality of the altimeter readings. I'm also on XP SP3.