Events and Coins

kenas

I have a small coin collection and will be attending an event this weekend.

Should I take my coins for others to discover? How does this work? Do I let them record tracking number from the coin that is in my "collection"?

Yes, this is common at Events. You can keep the collection at hand, and some people may ask to see the tracking codes, to do a "Discovered" log.

Edited by kunarion

Yes, if you would like to. :D A lot of people like to discover coins, and as we see fewer in caches these days, seeing them at events is a great way to find out what different coins are like. Only take activated coins, leave unactivated coins at home! Usually people have them in a display album or display case so you can see both sides without taking them out. It seems advisable to just have one album, so they are easier to keep track of and less likely to wander around the room/field being passed from person to person! (That shouldn't happen!) Some people print off a list of their coins and the tracking numbers for people who start to write down/photograph the numbers (it saves time). They then 'discover TBXXXXX in the hands of kenas' after they log their attendance to the event. I have heard of some coins being stolen or damaged at events, so do be careful.

What I typically do is bring my coins to the event **AND** sheets of paper with all of my codes printed on them. Some want to see the coins and have fun talking about stories/histories/etc. Some merely want to discover mass amounts of coins. Some are in-between. Having the codes easy to give away makes things more efficient so I can spend more time chatting and less time waiting for people to write down codes.

It's a practice I wish more people would follow.... Give more time for the social aspect of events.

Edited by Redfist

Although I said leave unactivated coins at home, some people do trade unactivated coins at events...I don't know if the trades are arranged online beforehand, and just exchanged at the event or if there's an area for trading at bigger events. just thought it was worth a mention for future events.