What's copyrighted?

ByronForestPreserve

Hi--

I want to screen print my own T-shirts (for prizes at an event; not for profit). I have a couple of ideas in mind, one of which includes using the attribute symbols. Is there any copyright issue there? What about other things, such as the lineart for the standard Lock'n'Lock on the main page? May I have "geocaching.com" at the bottom, or is that reserved for "official" merchandise?

Thanks!

Hi--

I want to screen print my own T-shirts (for prizes at an event; not for profit). I have a couple of ideas in mind, one of which includes using the attribute symbols. Is there any copyright issue there? What about other things, such as the lineart for the standard Lock'n'Lock on the main page? May I have "geocaching.com" at the bottom, or is that reserved for "official" merchandise?

Thanks!

There is a lot of information about trademark Non-commercial use.

Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademark Information

I didn't see where it specifically addressed your question. Bottom line: Send email to logo@Groundspeak.com including all details/questions and ask.

Hi--

Thanks!

There is a lot of information about trademark Non-commercial use.

Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademark Information

I didn't see where it specifically addressed your question. Bottom line: Send email to logo@Groundspeak.com including all details/questions and ask.

There is also these Public Domain geocaching logos.

Thanks! It does say that permission is automatically granted for under 25 pieces, not sold, so that probably applies. I'll email with the designs maybe just to make sure!

As for the public domain logo...I think I must have known that, because it's on so many wooden nickels and things. Maybe I'll incorporate it. I want specifically to use the attribute symbols and the look of the lock 'n' lock from the front page (wouldn't be funny otherwise).

Thanks! It does say that permission is automatically granted for under 25 pieces, not sold, so that probably applies. I'll email with the designs maybe just to make sure!

I would definitely write that email, since you reached an incorrect conclusion after reading the linked page about Groundspeak trademarks. The automatic permission for limited personal use only applies to the logos found at the bottom of that page - NOT to any Groundspeak artwork that you'd like to use.

I would definitely write that email, since you reached an incorrect conclusion after reading the linked page about Groundspeak trademarks. The automatic permission for limited personal use only applies to the logos found at the bottom of that page - NOT to any Groundspeak artwork that you'd like to use.

True, they mentioned very specific pieces of artwork as being copyrighted. Nothing about the attributes or the orange-lidded container. I guess I'll find out; sent that email. Thanks!

If anyone's curious:

G6w5i.jpg

aPYO9.jpg

x6q0B.jpg

Thought about doing one with the boat, rock climbing, and either tree or scuba symbols, but I don't think it's applicable to local cachers. :lol:

Quibbling, your poison oak is not botanically accurate :) (Same goes for the Groundspeak attributes icon). The stem of the two "middle" leaves should join the main stem at the same spot and form a "T" shape.

I like your t-shirt idea. Hope you'll get permission to use it!

I know! I decided to copy the attribute rather than make the poison oak more realistic. I really wanted to change it, but then that wasn't the point!

Thanks--haven't heard back yet, so...

Hi--

Thanks!

The Attribute symbols are based on work done by scooterj, which itself was mostly based on the U.S National Parks Map Pictograms. Any claim to copyright of the attribute symbols would be very iffy.

Edited by Prime Suspect