Map Bubbles don't display

macca21

This bug is soooo annoying and It happens nearly always. I need to zoom in/out/pan several times until I'm able to click on the cache icon... dry.gif

Currently I use:

Google chrome + <!-- Server: WEB19; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2 -->

Happens to me ALL the time on Chrome. No amount of zooming/panning will help. Works OK on Firefox. :(

Happens to me ALL the time on Chrome. No amount of zooming/panning will help. Works OK on Firefox. :(

Well, I toyed around with Chrome's "Inspect element". This is what I discovered:

OSM map:

Request URL:http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/9322/4733.info?callback=grid

Request Method:GET

Status Code:404 Not Found

Mapquest map:

Request URL:http://www.geocaching.com/map/map.info?x=9321&y=4733&z=14&k=gtHK...EhU81&ep=1&callback=grid

Status Code:200 OK

grid({"grid":[" ",...."],

"keys":["","(42, 34)",...

"data":{"(42, 34)":[{"i":"GC36BFB","n":"OMSAUT"}],"(43, 34)":[{"i":"GC36BFB","n":"OMSAUT"}],...

]}});

I wonder, whether openstreetmap.org is supposed to know the name and GC-code of the cache-bubbles that are displayed?

OTH I really don't know what I'm doing, so this may be a completely false alarm :blink:

... I toyed around with Chrome's "Inspect element". This is what I discovered:

@stebu,

I think you're onto something here:

Mapquest maps always work for me; OSM always fails if the map has been scrolled in the least.

Mapquest maps makes its request of geocaching.com; OSM makes its request of openstreetmap.org.

How did you, and what element did you inspect? I'm wondering how that request changes when the map is first scrolled. (I'm using Chrome too.)

Edited by GWRoss

Well, I toyed around with Chrome's "Inspect element". This is what I discovered:

OSM map:

Request URL:http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/14/9322/4733.info?callback=grid

Status Code:404 Not Found

Mapquest map:

Request URL:http://www.geocaching.com/map/map.info?x=9321&y=4733&z=14&k=gtHK...EhU81&ep=1&callback=grid

Status Code:200 OK

grid({"grid":[" ",...."],

"keys":["","(42, 34)",...

"data":{"(42, 34)":[{"i":"GC36BFB","n":"OMSAUT"}],"(43, 34)":[{"i":"GC36BFB","n":"OMSAUT"}],...

]}});

I wonder, whether openstreetmap.org is supposed to know the name and GC-code of the cache-bubbles that are displayed?

OTH I really don't know what I'm doing, so this may be a completely false alarm :blink:

No, you are correct: this is a valid bug. Unfortunately, it's intermittent and I haven't quite worked out the sequence of events that reliably triggers it. It doesn't just happen with OpenStreetMaps - sometimes the website asks Mapquest or one of the other map servers for the cache info. I've also seen it in Opera and Firefox, so it isn't specific to Chrome. I think it's been reported on a few threads now, but I've not noticed the management pick up on it yet...

The URLs you've quoted are related to the URLs of the map tile that you moved your mouse over. They are supposed to be derived from the geocache icon tiles, but sometimes the website gets confused and uses the basemap tiles - hence the requests to OSM et al. It seems to be related to the way the Leaflet API swaps layers on the map (which is why zooming or changing map source helps).

Although I'm not sure what the underlying problem is, I did come up with a workaround. It is possible to write a script that intercepts the dodgy data requests and redirects them to the correct server. I've added this bugfix into the latest version of my Geocaching Map Enhancements userscript (which has various other useful features too).

Unfortunately, this bug is not the end of the story. Even when the website is using the correct URL, it seems to get a nil response back fairly often, which could be a server loading issue. Once the website fails to get the data for a tile, it doesn't seem to try again (although panning to new areas may work).

... I toyed around with Chrome's "Inspect element". This is what I discovered:

@stebu,

I think you're onto something here:

Mapquest maps always work for me; OSM always fails if the map has been scrolled in the least.

Mapquest maps makes its request of geocaching.com; OSM makes its request of openstreetmap.org.

How did you, and what element did you inspect? I'm wondering how that request changes when the map is first scrolled. (I'm using Chrome too.)

These requests were "map.info" in Mapgeust and "9322.info" (or maybe the other map tile number) in OSM. The lattered requests failed always.

These requests were "map.info" in Mapgeust and "9322.info" (or maybe the other map tile number) in OSM. The lattered requests failed always.

@GWRoss: Look in the Net tab of Chrome's console. The requests are made every time you move the mouse over a new tile on the map.

Edited by jri

WEB03

I noticed if you bring up the map page and then you leave the page alone for awhile without moving the cursor AT ALL the whole time while it is loading, you cannot get ANY of the cache names to come up.

---Edited to clarify---

Edited by Dulce-Joy

I've had the same problem for a month or two at least. I also have a similar problem doing pocket queries and then "map this location". When I click to view a cache on the map all that comes up is the very bottom of the normal box with all the cache info, just a few lines high with the "x" to close it on the right. Have server WEB09.

This issue has been complained about in the forums for MONTHS. It's a very useful feature when it's working properly but a cause of huge frustration when it's not working. When is it going to be fixed? I've seen a few comments from GS lackeys asking people who are experiencing this problem to report their server number, but this type of ad hoc reporting doesn't sound like a very systematic approach. The lack of communication from GS on this important issue is disappointing. The membership has no idea how aggressively the problem is being attacked or even if it is being attacked at all. Meanwhile, the complaints continue to fall into the black hole.

This issue has been complained about in the forums for MONTHS. It's a very useful feature when it's working properly but a cause of huge frustration when it's not working. When is it going to be fixed? I've seen a few comments from GS lackeys asking people who are experiencing this problem to report their server number, but this type of ad hoc reporting doesn't sound like a very systematic approach. The lack of communication from GS on this important issue is disappointing. The membership has no idea how aggressively the problem is being attacked or even if it is being attacked at all. Meanwhile, the complaints continue to fall into the black hole.

AGREED.

This bug has been reported to our engineering team, and has yet to be scheduled for a fix.

We apologize for the delay in reporting back to you on the matter, and will endeavor to be more communicative about this bug as it is prioritized for a fix.

Disappointing to hear that the bug fix is not even on the IT calendar yet but appreciate you letting us know. It would be good if Grounspeak was more communicative on such things. It might save a lot of venting in the forums.

PS - this problem is far worse on iPads because you have to use your finger instead of a mouse. Is that to be addressed as well?

We can update the engineering team that use of our site on tablets exacerbates this issue.

With no disrespect, I cannot understand the above sentence. So I'm just curious about what is done by whom. I googled "exacerbates" and got:

" 3rd person singular present of exacerbate

Make (a problem, bad situation, or negative feeling) worse:

"the forest fire was exacerbated by the lack of rain".

"

Maybe the English down under is too different from the one I've been taught up here close to the Polar Circle? Or then that's too big a word for non-native English speakers (at least for me).

We can update the engineering team that use of our site on tablets exacerbates this issue.
With no disrespect, I cannot understand the above sentence.
FWIW, I took it to mean that (1) engineering already knows that there is an issue with map bubbles, and that (2) Sandy is letting them know that this known issue is worse when the site is viewed on tablets.
With no disrespect, I cannot understand the above sentence.
FWIW, I took it to mean that (1) engineering already knows that there is an issue with map bubbles, and that (2) Sandy is letting them know that this known issue is worse when the site is viewed on tablets.

I think NiraD has summed it up nicely

I have plodded on with this annoyance for a few weeks now and have put up with the slowness of the situation but today it is getting to a point where it is taking a long time to get cache information. Some caches on the map give their title when I 'mouse over' and these when clicked give a new window and all is fine but there are a number of caches on the SAME map which do nothing. The only way to get information on these is to work out where they are roughly in relation to a town etc. and then search the listings. This is not easy as the name of the cache on the map is not shown. Hair pulling out time. This is particularly frustrating when getting the cache details of a series which doesn't have a common name in them. The problem is almost getting to a point where the maps are useless. When will it be fixed?????

No, this issue has been in our database since first reported. It simply has not been prioritized yet to the point where it has entered the queue for fixing.

Well, the other items ahead of this issue must be VERY,VERY IMPORTANT if they are taking priority over an issue that is causing so many forum complaints. I'm a paid up member of Geocaching.com. If I had to put up with this type of hassle from my cable TV company, I could look elsewhere for TV service. For Geocaching, we have no serious alternative to consider and that restricts us to squealing and moaning in the forum.

No, this issue has been in our database since first reported. It simply has not been prioritized yet to the point where it has entered the queue for fixing.

Well, the other items ahead of this issue must be VERY,VERY IMPORTANT if they are taking priority over an issue that is causing so many forum complaints. I'm a paid up member of Geocaching.com. If I had to put up with this type of hassle from my cable TV company, I could look elsewhere for TV service. For Geocaching, we have no serious alternative to consider and that restricts us to squealing and moaning in the forum.

I agree with this.

It is such a fundamental feature on the map page that I fail to understand why Groundspeak would knowingly want to leave such a bug in place. Very strange.

I have posted bug problem with maps on a different thread. But I think it's the same as this thread. If I do right click and refresh the screen I get the bubbles. I have several problems have the site . When I go to the website for the frist time and click on login I can't but I can go to the visiter screen and log on from there. However if I go to Geocaching.com for the first time then do a right click and refresh I then can login from the home page.

When I logged a find and then wanted to show my list of TB's visited the cache that won't work but if I refresh then it works.

When I come to the forums and click on a topic the top half of the screen goes black, but if I right click and refresh the whole screen is visable.

Maps, if I right click and refresh off the map then the cache bubbles work.

It seems every page I go to I have to refresh to make everything on the page work.

win 7

WEB15

Edited by evr180