Map Bubbles don't display

macca21

Hi. I use the geocaching maps and usually it's fine. Both google and leaflet function properly except when I put leaflet into the OSM view. All the caches still appear but you cannot click on them, nothing comes up as in all the other modes. I have tried this on several browsers and computers, what is going wrong

Hi. I use the geocaching maps and usually it's fine. Both google and leaflet function properly except when I put leaflet into the OSM view. All the caches still appear but you cannot click on them, nothing comes up as in all the other modes. I have tried this on several browsers and computers, what is going wrong

Yup! I cannot click on them in osm views!!

*unless* I'm on my iPad or iPhone...

With the recent re-working of maps, the Cache Description bubble that normally displays when you mouse over a cache symbol has now become flakey. I'm running Win 7 / Chrome, which is normally totally reliable. However, if I change to one of the non-default map displays, like OpenCycleMaps, and scroll in/scroll out, it stops doing any of the mouse over expands -- which makes it so that I can't get details for any of the caches on the screen.

To fix, I normally just start over again by refreshing screen, move the map back to the location I was just looking at, and then everything will display properly. But if I change map displays again, especially if I scroll in / out, it will stop working again.

Makes it very difficult to work, as I'm constantly having to change back to the default (undesired) map display in order to get information, and then go back to OpenCycleMap to get terrain topology.

With the recent re-working of maps, the Cache Description bubble that normally displays when you mouse over a cache symbol has now become flakey. I'm running Win 7 / Chrome, which is normally totally reliable. However, if I change to one of the non-default map displays, like OpenCycleMaps, and scroll in/scroll out, it stops doing any of the mouse over expands -- which makes it so that I can't get details for any of the caches on the screen.

To fix, I normally just start over again by refreshing screen, move the map back to the location I was just looking at, and then everything will display properly. But if I change map displays again, especially if I scroll in / out, it will stop working again.

Makes it very difficult to work, as I'm constantly having to change back to the default (undesired) map display in order to get information, and then go back to OpenCycleMap to get terrain topology.

I was going to report this myself, once I'd figured out why it is happening.

What I've figured out so far is that normally, when you move the mouse over each map tile, the web page fires a request to the geocaching.com servers for data about any caches that may be in the area covered by that tile, and uses it to pop up the cache titles and descriptions. The URL for the data it asks for is based on the URL of the map tile. It is supposed to use the map tiles from the geocache icon layer but from time to time it uses the tiles from the base map instead. This means that the web page starts asking Mapquest or OpenStreetMap for cache details, rather than Geocaching.com

What I've not yet figured out is precisely why this happens. It seems to be related to adding or removing layers on the map, which happens when you zoom, change map type, or add different overlays (like filtering out your finds). However, it doesn't happen every time you do one of these things...

Hi!

What I've figured out so far is that normally, when you move the mouse over each map tile, the web page fires a request to the geocaching.com servers for data about any caches that may be in the area covered by that tile, and uses it to pop up the cache titles and descriptions. The URL for the data it asks for is based on the URL of the map tile. It is supposed to use the map tiles from the geocache icon layer but from time to time it uses the tiles from the base map instead. This means that the web page starts asking Mapquest or OpenStreetMap for cache details, rather than Geocaching.com

What I've not yet figured out is precisely why this happens. It seems to be related to adding or removing layers on the map, which happens when you zoom, change map type, or add different overlays (like filtering out your finds). However, it doesn't happen every time you do one of these things...

For ME it happens about EVERY time! Some icons do work and other don't. So in the end I ALWAYS need to reload the map to have the other caches working which is a bit annoying ;-)

Bye,

Christian

It seems that the bubbles disappear whenever I scroll the map. But it now appears that they only disappear if a map layer other than the default MapQuest maps is being displayed. I am able to get them back (most of the time) by simply reselecting the MapQuest maps. (Of course, they disappear again as soon as I switch back to any other maps layer.)

[edit]

This behavior was observed using Google Chrome 17.0.963.56 m. The same symptoms were displayed by IE9.

I just installed Firefox 14.0. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS BROWSER! (I just may have to switch to Firefox until the problem is fixed.)

[/edit]

Edited by GWRoss

Hi!

For ME it happens about EVERY time! Some icons do work and other don't. So in the end I ALWAYS need to reload the map to have the other caches working which is a bit annoying ;-)

Bye,

Christian

Same here.

When I open the map I see all the caches allright. When I hold the mouse cursor over a cache I can see the name of cache but i connot click on it so the box from where I ususally can go to the listing doesn't open.

Has anyone the same problem or an idea what the reason might be?

Edited by sunflower_sl

For the moment it is working again without me doing anything special. But this happened before during the last couple of weeks. So far it always only lasted for a couple of minutes. Since it lasted a lot longer today I got a little worried cause you can't load caches on your gps device with this bug. :mad:

Almost same to me. No bubbles and if I move my mouse on a cache the pointer isn't change. BUT! If I choose a Pocket Query on the map, everything is OK. There are bubbles, the pointer is changing and I can click on cache's name. It's strange, isn't it?

I use Windows 7. I tried IE, FireFox, Chrome - same result.

Edited by R.Guszty

There are all these great mapsets, but if you cant access the caches to download/ log etc then what good are they?? Only 1 of the Google maps and 1 of the Leaflet maps work at all for me and sometimes they dont even work.

You say they don't work, but you never actually described what the problem is. Do the maps not show up?

It seems that the bubbles disappear whenever I scroll the map. But it now appears that they only disappear if a map layer other than the default MapQuest maps is being displayed. I am able to get them back (most of the time) by simply reselecting the MapQuest maps. (Of course, they disappear again as soon as I switch back to any other maps layer.)

[edit]

This behavior was observed using Google Chrome 17.0.963.56 m. The same symptoms were displayed by IE9.

I just installed Firefox 14.0. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS BROWSER! (I just may have to switch to Firefox until the problem is fixed.)

[/edit]

We use Firefox and get the same issue. Strange that sometimes it is the whole map that is affected and at other times it is selected areas of a map.

HI all,

my problem and on the laptop of my wife as well, is, that if you move the mouse over a cache on the map, the name should appear and you can click on this cache. But some of them are not selectable at the standard map and all of them in the Open Street Map.

I have updated Java, but it still didn't work.

I've searched the forum, but found nothing similar.

Thanks for your help.

fkott

I have had this apparent problem but I am not sure there is a big problem here other than the 'hand' or the 'clenched hand' cursor does not change to the 'pointed finger' icon indicating a clickable link. What I find is that if I put the 'hand' cursor over the icon then click once (double click zooms in) then the pop up box will appear but it takes a long time (usually more than 5 seconds) and if I move the cursor before the pop up appears, nothing happens. Undoubtedly there is a problem but at least it works after a fashion.

This issue appears to be sporadic which may indicate that it is a problem with only one or a small number of servers. It would help us track it down if you mention what server you are on when you see the issue occur. You can find out this information like so:

• The map page source does not include the web server, so navigate from the map page to another page on the site
  • View the web page source using one of these techniques:
    • Right-click on the page and select "View source"
    • Select the View Source menu option:
      • Chrome: Select the "wrench" icon in the upper right, then select"Tools" and click on "View source"
      • Firefox: Select "Tools", then "Web Developer" and then "Page Source"
      • IE: Click the "gear" icon in the upper right, select "F12 Developer Tools", then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Use the keyboard shortcut:

• Chrome and Firefox: Press "Ctrl+U"
      • IE: Press F12, then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Scroll down to the bottom of the source and look there for a comment that looks like the following: <!--Server: WEB19; Build: Web.HotFix_20120703.1 -->

The servers are all named "WEBXX", where "XX" is any number between 01 and 21.

Having the same problem with maps. The pointer is gone and now just a clenched hand. I can no longer look at the cache name or click on it for the description. Forget about bookmarking anything. This map is basically useless to me. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to anything. Hovering over the cache icons doesn't work either.

Thank you, C0lin, but that is a separate issue. I assume that you are running Chrome?

No, it is an issue which is the exact title of this thread - the bubble or pop up of the cache details does not appear from the map icon for the cache. OK, it just about works for me but I have only just found this 'workaround'. If you click and wait only a second or two and then move the cursor, nothing happens which is what many people are probably doing. If you wait long enough, the bubble appears but compared with other clicks the waiting is unacceptably long.

I am running IE

Edited by C0lin

You said that you get the pop-up to display after clicking and waiting; the main gist of this thread is failure of that pop-up to appear at all. The failure of the hover text to appear may or may not be related, but likely not.

Yes, the wait is a long time. Additionally, I used to double click the icon to get the pop up box, but now a double click just zooms in on the map and no pop up box appears. A single click and the longish wait gives the pop up box.

This issue appears to be sporadic which may indicate that it is a problem with only one or a small number of servers. It would help us track it down if you mention what server you are on when you see the issue occur.

I have been able to consistently provoke the behavior using Chrome, and have NOT seen it using Firefox (Beta version 14.0.)

I just ran a test wherein I:

1. Clicked on "Map It" on my "Your Profile" page
  2. Selected the OpenStreetMap layer
  3. "Grabbed" the map, and scrolled it (as little as 1 pixel will do it.)

(Note: Steps two and three may be done in any order.)

After these three steps, in Chrome, on mousing-over a cache icon, the mouse cursor doesn't change, the tool tip doesn't appear, and clicking the cache icon does not pop up the cache info bubble. In Firefox, everything works as expected. Both browsers were being served by WEB16.

As I reported before, after provoking the problem in Chrome, switching back to the MapQuest maps restores the full functionality.

This issue has been widely reported but does not have a consistent repro. We are investigating but do not have an answer or solution as of yet.

Interested in a trip to Colorado? I've got a system that will produce this problem consistently in a few moments of fiddling a map, if not immediately. Using the current copy of Firefox (some version of 14) and Java is at the latest SE6 version for Mozilla browsers.

This has been a problem since the last update to the map view system.

My own workaround is to flip back and forth between maps on the leaf. That usually allows me to at least get successful mouseover on the current page if I don't move it around.

This issue appears to be sporadic which may indicate that it is a problem with only one or a small number of servers. It would help us track it down if you mention what server you are on when you see the issue occur. You can find out this information like so:

• The map page source does not include the web server, so navigate from the map page to another page on the site
      • Chrome: Select the "wrench" icon in the upper right, then select"Tools" and click on "View source"
      • IE: Click the "gear" icon in the upper right, select "F12 Developer Tools", then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

• IE: Press F12, then select "View/Source > Original" from the Developer Tools window

[*]Scroll down to the bottom of the source and look there for a comment that looks like the following: <!--Server: WEB19; Build: Web.HotFix_20120703.1 -->

Sorry it's been so long....holidays, you know how that goes. Anyways, mine is WEB09.

Edited by booboo_1

This problem has existed for many weeks and seems to be independent of browser or hardware (I'm running FF 14 beta on a Lion Mac with Greasemonkey). However, if I drag the cache almost to the centre of the screen and zoom in it almost always becomes "live". You can easily identify a hotspot of caches that are live and others that are dead, but bringing the dead ones into the centre of the screen normally works. Refreshing the screen with the Greasemonkey refresh (rather than the browser refresh) also helps.

The latest release (July 10th) did not fix the problem.

• Fixed map SPROC to improve performance
I don't know if it even was supposed to fix my problem?

With the default Mapquest maps (I'm a basic member) zooming and panning seem to work more or less.

But with Openstreet maps I can get "live" icons only at the original location (where "map it" leads me). If I zoom or pan, the icons are "dead" (no name on hover, no response when clicking). It won't help if I first zoom and pan with Mapquest and then switch to Openstreet; dead icons all over the screen :(

The Openstreet map behaviour is not sporadic, it happens every time.

Using W7, Chrome and Server: WEB20; Build: Web.HotFix_20120710.2

WEB20 on IE

WEB20 on IE

WEB15 & WEB19

WEB20 on IE

WEB15 & WEB19

WEB10