How to use overlay maps?

budbon

I'm deep in the weeds of understanding here. I have a Garmin 62S. I've downloaded the Colorado topo from GPSFileDepot as well as Alpine loop trails which is transparent. Does the transparent mean I can overlay it onto the Colorado topo and have the trail show on my GPS? If yes, can someone tell me how or point me to a tutorial?

I'm deep in the weeds of understanding here. I have a Garmin 62S. I've downloaded the Colorado topo from GPSFileDepot as well as Alpine loop trails which is transparent. Does the transparent mean I can overlay it onto the Colorado topo and have the trail show on my GPS? If yes, can someone tell me how or point me to a tutorial?

You're better off posting this question in the gpsfiledepot.com forums.

Yes, transparent trail maps are designed to be used in conjunction with some other underlying map.

There are all kinds of tutorials on gpsfiledepot.com, but some of them are dated.

The best way to see what will happen is to:

1) backup your entire unit (or at least the maps on your unit) by copying everything in the internal memory to your computer hard drive.

2) install the maps to your unit and enable / disable multiple combinations of them to see how they look.

Dave

Assuming that you've loaded the two maps separately, starting on the map screen, Menu>Setup map>Enter, scroll down to Select Map>enter. Disable each map product except for the two that you wish displayed. Once done, you may also have to fiddle with your Advanced Map Setup by pressing Quit once (it was right above Select Map). You might have to set the Detail screen to Most to get the trails to show up when you zoom the map out, and those trails may not display at all if zoomed out far enough. HTH!