Very sad news re Scavok

jsarche

I'm primarily a lurker here, but thought many would be interested -- and saddened -- to hear this news. Today's Denver Post has this obituary -- http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/denverpost/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=158013879 -- for Roger Kovacs, known to geocoin and geocaching fans everywhere as Scavok. Like many here, I had exchanged e-mails with him, but never met him, though we lived in the same area. He had an incredible eye for designing geocoins, for photography, and for some very good geocache hides. The few times I corresponded with him, he sounded like a very good guy. I'm sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.

Very sad news, indeed.

Not sure if I'd ever met him in person, but believe I've emailed with him about coins.

I know I have some great coins that were designed by him.

He will be missed by the caching community as well as his family and friends.

Condolences and blessings to all.

P.S. Thanks for informing the community of this terrible loss.

Kelly (AKA GeoCharmer81)

from Lake County, Ohio

Gandalf: "End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it."

Pippin: "What, Gandalf? See what?"

Gandalf: "White shores. And beyond ... a far green country under a swift sunrise."

We feel very sad hearing this news. We knew him as very friendly and accommodating person, even if we only had contact via email as customers of his coins. It was an honour for us to release his handmade coins to commemorate our 100th, 500th and 1000th cache founds. Every time we see one of his coins we will remember him.

Our sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Sandra and Thorsten

Having known Roger only through his beautiful coin designs, I always felt that he was a compassionate, caring person as often when receiving a coin he included a personal note. As a community I know we all would wish to relieve his family of their anguish. May he rest in peace and his family know he was loved and respected here and that this would ease their hurt.

Even in their time of sorrow, his family took the time to post this message on his website.

It is sad to inform you that Roger Kovacs suddenly, and unexpectedly, passed away last week. As executors of the estate, there will be a period of time while we research records to attempt to complete all transactions. We will miss our son greatly. Please give us some time before making inquiries. Very soon his facebook page will become public, feel free to express your condolences and memories of Roger at that time.

Oh my goodness, what terrible news! So young - I know from personal experience that a sudden loss like this is especially difficult. :(

I too only knew scavok online here in this community and have many of his beautiful designs but knew him to be a very lovely person. My thoughts are with his family and fiancee during this time...

What a shock...

These are very sad news to hear.

God must have had thought that he was ready to come home to him.

Rest in Peace my friend. I will keep those coins you made for me, in your memory.

Just too add some thoughts:

"Death's power is limited --

It cannot eradicate memories

Or slay love

It cannot destroy even a threadbare faith

Or permanently hobble the smallest hope in God

It cannot permeate the soul

And it cannot cripple the spirit

It merely separates us for a while

That is the only power death can claim

--No more"

Edited by OshnDoc

What a terrible loss to both those that loved him and the Geocoin community. Unfortunately I never got the chance to own any of his coins but have seen them on the forum and it was obvious he was an amazing craftsman. My thoughts go out to his family.

This is indeed sad news, Roger and I exchanged e-mails like so many of us into geocoins, there was even talk of a meet when he visited Australia but due to the east coast west coast distance it never happened, seems more of a shame now.

He was a most generous man allowing me to make personal orders of different colours than he was doing in particular mint runs, also due to the volumes and cost he always cut me slack on the shipping, I'm so proud to own works of art from such a talented designer and good bloke.

You will be truly missed Roger.

This is horrible news. Like many I've shared my passion for coins with him and love his work and ingenuity. It's always a tragedy to lose a friend and to lose one with so many possible more memories that might have been shared is terrible. I believe it to be true when people say we grieve not for him, but for the loss of him in our lives :( You will be missed sir. You will be missed.

Oh my, this is very sad news. Though I knew him only through email and the forums, he was an extremely talented artist and a very, very nice man. Taken so young. I consider his Irish Dancing Dress geocoins among some of my absolute favorites.

May he rest in peace and my symphathy to his family and friends.

What a shock :( Much too young to be taken so soon. A unique geocoin designer and will be missed by many. Thank you for your contributions to geocaching and geocoins. I had hoped to get to meet you at GCF in CO this year.

My condolences to family and friends, you will be missed by many. You will live on in memories and through your coins.

tsun

RIP Roger :( very fond memories of him and very sad to know he departed us so soon. I remember him best by his hand pounded lead coins. Then by the later copper and bronze. We discussed several patina methods varying between heat treatments/acids and he enlightened me on his patina methods which i worked into my sig pennies.

Very sad news and my deepest regards to his family. You will be missed Scavok. Thanks for your designs, you will be missed.

The very first geocoin that I ever bought was Roger's "tengwar". The second coin I ever bought was his "Tree of Life". He was the person who got me into designing geocoins and he was very helpful when I was new in showing me the ropes. This is sad news, but we can all be happy that he brought such good to the world.

I'm completely shocked and really don't know how to express my sadness. Like others I only knew him from emails, from the forum and from his excellent work as a geocoin designer. One of the first coins that I ever bought was the Tengwar coin and it is still one of my absolte favorite coins.

My condolences to family and friends!

Really sad to hear of this. Partly stunned, partly upset, but mainly proud for having the chance to correspond with him as he put his mark on our hobby. I'm probably not the only one to do this, but I just set one of his coins (a Tengwar) on a stand here and will just keep it in sight for a while. He was not only a good guy, but a talented mind who raised the bar here. My sincere condolences to his family as he's laid to rest today.