favorite points

I agree. I try to think generically when recommending a cache with a Fav point. Is it generally a quality cache experience - good container, maintained, nice location, clever/creative/funny.

I guess that the problem I have with using such an approach is that my own criteria for a cache that I enjoy do not involve aspects like clever/creative/funny hide. Quite often a creative hide reduces my own enjoyment for a cache though I do know that the converse will true for most other cachers. So I am basically left with two choices: either orienting myself on my own preferences or on the preferences of the majority of cachers (or rather what I think that their preferences are).

In my area when checking who gave a Fav point, I get to know a cacher's style and if someone who has a similar caching style to mine then I give their vote more weight. But ultimately I read a few of the latest comments to make my final decision.

I do the same, but for that approach to work it is important that the personal preferences dominate the general ones.

I can't/don't climb trees and I don't canoe/kayak/sail/etc. But if I did, I might also give those caches a fav vote. However, they are using the list as intended...to recommend. But as you say, the audience may be somewhat specific (if you like climbing trees you might also like this cache, if you like puzzles with creative containers you might also like this cache). Using the fav list for milestones (I was FTF on this film canister behind Walmart) is not the intended use of the Favorite List. Personal bookmarks would better serve personal milestone experiences.

I agree with respect to the milestone eperiences (they do not play any role for me anyway).

However it could be that someone is able to do tree climbing caches and visits them if they are there, but for some reason does not like them. Using favourites for recommending what others might likely enjoy would mean to let the others dominate over the individual preference.

In my own case, I'm often happy if the terrain is not too rough and logging roads are in many cases welcome to me as this is more relaxing for my joints than a challenging unrough trail. In my current condition I can manage short walks on demanding trails, but I need to admit that I'm not able to enjoy them. It happened several times that I (and in some cases also other caches in a comparable situation, e.g. families with small children) wrote a very positive log for a multi cache where parts of it lead along paved trails (with almost no traffic) and logging roads. From time to time others complain and state that they cannot understand how one can be so undemanding that one appraises a cache of such a type when the area would also have allowed for alternative route choices that avoid logging roads. For milestones, FTFs etc it might be easy to separate personal and generic experience, but in many other cases this is not possible. For example, if one does not have the same fitness level/health condition than the average cacher what some in this thread demand becomes hard to do.

Cezanne

Surely this whole thread is over analysing such a simple process.

I give a favourite point because I enjoyed a cache.

I dont need to over analyse the reasons, I don't need some sort of points criteria. I don't need to fit in with somebody elses formula. I give it a favourite point because I liked it.

Don't over complicate a simple process.

+1

Someone with preferences similar to my own will find my favorites votes more useful than someone with preferences that differ from my own. So it goes.

It would be nice if the favorites system had a way to correlate the preferences of different people. Then it might suggest caches to me that were enjoyed by people who like the same kinds of caches that I do. But that kind of functionality doesn't exist yet.

I dont need to over analyse the reasons, I don't need some sort of points criteria. I don't need to fit in with somebody elses formula. I give it a favourite point because I liked it.

It is possible to state your opinion without being rude, it detracts from the forum. It may be a simple process to you, but for others it's not.

I think some part of the issue is that some people expect from the favourite lists to be recommendations for others and not one's personal list of caches that one has enjoyed (the most) - the latter is much easier to decide on, of course. I'm still not sure what has been the intention of Groundspeak when they introduced the favourite system and decided to use the term favourite, but at the same time right from the beginning did not allow favourites for events.

Cezanne

It is possible to state your opinion without being rude, it detracts from the forum. It may be a simple process to you, but for others it's not.

I apologise if my comments came across as rude as this was not my intention. Maybe just a little too concise.

In my opnion favourites should reflect your own view of the cache and I will often enjoy running back through my list to see how these caches are doing. It can be quite a cathartic process. There may be some divergence of views between cachers preferences but genearlly, over a period of time, the number of favourite points will provide a helpful barometer to judge the quality of the cache.

If I tried to favourite caches purely for other peoples benefit I do not feel I would be providing a true record of my own experiences.

I really like the Groundspeak chose to add a View Log link to the Users Who Favorited This Cache page. I've used it often especially when there are only one or two favorites listed. That way I get a feeling for why they added a favorite and whether it's #1-4 on the OP's list or #5-9 :

7386921842_0c70f10dbe_z.jpg

I think some part of the issue is that some people expect from the favourite lists to be recommendations for others and not one's personal list of caches that one has enjoyed (the most) - the latter is much easier to decide on, of course.
Why can't it be both?

Premium members were publishing bookmarks lists of their favorite caches long before Groundspeak implemented the Favorites system. These bookmark lists were (and are) both personal lists of favorites and recommendations for others who might enjoy them. Why can't Favorites votes be both too?

I think some part of the issue is that some people expect from the favourite lists to be recommendations for others and not one's personal list of caches that one has enjoyed (the most) - the latter is much easier to decide on, of course.
Why can't it be both?

Premium members were publishing bookmarks lists of their favorite caches long before Groundspeak implemented the Favorites system. These bookmark lists were (and are) both personal lists of favorites and recommendations for others who might enjoy them. Why can't Favorites votes be both too?

They can be both, but they are not necessarily both. Back then nobody complained in the sense of "why in the world could someone have enjoyed this cache" as no one interpreted those lists as a generic recommendation.

Among the caches that I enjoyed the most there are certainly caches that I would recommend to many others, but also caches that I would recomment only to very few if someone else at all. The more closer

Cezanne

I got WAY too many now.

Anyone want to buy some?

jk

Nope!

I earned the one I have, and I use them as I see fit.

Fantastic adventure

Interesting cache container

Interesting story of finding the cache

I have 1 fav point remaining....

Some of us have more fun then others ;)

I apologise if my comments came across as rude as this was not my intention. Maybe just a little too concise.

In my opnion favourites should reflect your own view of the cache and I will often enjoy running back through my list to see how these caches are doing. It can be quite a cathartic process. There may be some divergence of views between cachers preferences but genearlly, over a period of time, the number of favourite points will provide a helpful barometer to judge the quality of the cache.

If I tried to favourite caches purely for other peoples benefit I do not feel I would be providing a true record of my own experiences.

Sorry if I was touchy, this forum keeps a person on edge.

I totally agree with what you've said above. I've never favorited a cache I haven't enjoyed, although I know others that have.

I tend to award favorite points to caches that are not necessarily all-time-favorites, but simply, caches I"ve enjoyed and will remember. Probably because of this, I am often short of favorite points so I have to pick and choose when I award them. If there's 2 caches, the 1st cache with an inactive owner or someone I don't like and the 2nd cache with an active owner who frequently gives my caches favorite points, the favorite point is going to the 2nd cache.

I tend to award favorite points to caches that are not necessarily all-time-favorites, but simply, caches I've enjoyed and will remember.

I have 1470 finds and 6 votes left. I'm a firm believer in rewarding not just the best but also the very good. I want to encourage COs that hide decent well maintained caches. I'll give a favorite point to a swag-size water tight container (e.g. authentic lock & lock or ammo can) with clean trinkets, a logbook (not a logsheet), in a nice location with accurate coordinates and D/T rating.

I also tend to only have between 2 and 6 in my favourites bank. After doing a group of caches recently which I really enjoyed and wanted to acknowledge with favourite points I scrolled down my historic list and pinched a few back that had been archived or in hindsight were maybe not as high on the list as I originally felt. I didn't really want to do this and sometimes wish there were more favourite points available to acknowledge all the ones that I enjoy.

I also tend to only have between 2 and 6 in my favourites bank. After doing a group of caches recently which I really enjoyed and wanted to acknowledge with favourite points I scrolled down my historic list and pinched a few back that had been archived or in hindsight were maybe not as high on the list as I originally felt. I didn't really want to do this and sometimes wish there were more favourite points available to acknowledge all the ones that I enjoy.

I do the same thing, when I am short. :)

That's interesting. I always felt it was kinda tacky to remove favorite votes that I've already awarded to active caches. If I'm short of favorite votes, I'll simply go grab some easy urban caches to replenish the ranks. Now I do think it's perfectly legitimate to remove favorite votes from archived caches. Indeed, I consider favorite votes to be more like recommendations than absolute favorites. And I don't see much point in recommending a cache that people can no longer do/get. Just my two cents...