favorite points

How do you spend your favorite points? Do you often have extra favorite points available or do you spend them as fast as you earn them?

It occurred to me today that people spend their favorite points in many ways. It's actually quite complicated when you analyze it:

There's:

1) The "that was an amazing adventure" favorite point.

2) The "What a neat cache container, I'm going to tell all my friends about it" favorite point.

3) The "What a fun puzzle, I really enjoyed that" favorite point.

4) The "Thank you for the series" favorite point for the final cache of a series.

Then there's:

5) The "You're a new cacher, so I"m going to give you a favorite point to encourage you" favorite point

6) The "Your cache is unremarkable, but you're my friend so I'm giving you a point" favorite point

7) The sympathy favorite point "I see how much work you put into this and you've got zero or few favorite points so I'm going to give you one"

8) The suck-up favorite point "Your cache wasn't that great, but for whatever reason I feel the need to suck up to you, so I"m giving you a point"

Then my all-time-favorite point type

9) The random favorite point "I can't remember your cache at all but I know I ought to be giving out favorite points, I"ve got alot saved up" (yes, there is someone I know who does this)

:laughing:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

1,2,3,4 and none of the others.

When they came out I went back and gave points to caches I'd visited in the past that really stood out for me, and now I give them out when I feel a cache deserves them. To date I've given out 102 points but still have 108 that I haven't given, maybe I'm being too fussy?

I think to be honost, I did all of choises you mention :-)

at least once..

but mostly I got 10-20 point available,

the fact is about only 1 out for 20-30 caches I find,

is a bit special or cool or well done, well hidden, well made,

stuff like this gets FP from me..

all the normal stuff (is still fun and nice geocaching else I will not play)

but all normal is just all avarage, and it do not deserve a FP from me..

Also, although perhaps related to #3, is "That was a fun challenge. Thanks for making me expand my caching experience rather than just list a bunch of caches I've already found."

I seem to hover around 60 favorite points remaining, so I guess I'm adding them at a rate of about one every ten finds. Luckily, there are some cool caches around here.

I've done 1, 2, and 3. As for 4, I typically will only give a Fave point to any of the caches in the series which is in a good location or someone stands out from the rest, not necessarily the last one.

I've also given Fave points out to caches which are somewhat historical in the context of the hobby. Yes, Mingo (GC30) got a Fave point from me even though as far as caches go it isn't anything special. Beverly (GC28) also earned a point because it was a good container in the forest in an area I never might have explored otherwise -- plus its historical nature.

I have about 200 points in the bank. I don't think 10% of the caches I find deserve a Fave point so that bank has been growing over time.

The that cache is one of my favorites and I'll remember it for a long time. Seriously I don't use mine unless I really enjoyed the cache. Sometimes it's just a part (the puzzle, a cool homemade container, a unique hide, amazing location), sometimes it's every single part. I've got over 160 left (if we could spend multiple on a cache there is one cache that would get probably 100 of those).

Reasons 6 and 8 annoy me

I've gone with your #1, #2 and #3.

I've got gobs of unused.

I find that there are many caches that I would give a point, but the container is junk.

This is the commonest reason for me to NOT award a favorite to a cache in a good location with decent coords. By junk I don't mean "micro" - I'm fine with a decent quality micro (bison, matchsafe etc). I found a number of caches last winter that were all fine in the location, write up, coords, with okay hint - but the containers were gladware, taped baggies, re-used food containers (wet and breaking down from sun) etc. I didn't favorite any of them.

Mistating cache size will keep me from adding a favorite point too. I did a bunch of caches by 2 different owners that were in nice places - all were listed as Small containers. They were matchsafes, and 2 knock-off bisons. This is annoying. A couple by each of these owners I might have added a favorite if they'd really placed a small, or even with the micro, if they called it that. Others had already commented on the cache pages, they were apparently placed that way.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I've gone with your #1, #2 and #3.

I've got gobs of unused.

I find that there are many caches that I would give a point, but the container is junk.

This is the commonest reason for me to NOT award a favorite to a cache in a good location with decent coords. By junk I don't mean "micro" - I'm fine with a decent quality micro (bison, matchsafe etc). I found a number of caches last winter that were all fine in the location, write up, coords, with okay hint - but the containers were gladware, taped baggies, re-used food containers (wet and breaking down from sun) etc. I didn't favorite any of them.

Mistating cache size will keep me from adding a favorite point too. I did a bunch of caches by 2 different owners that were in nice places - all were listed as Small containers. They were matchsafes, and 2 knock-off bisons. This is annoying. A couple by each of these owners I might have added a favorite if they'd really placed a small, or even with the micro, if they called it that. Others had already commented on the cache pages, they were apparently placed that way.

+1

I use my favorite points to recommend caches to other geocachers. Thus, I don't award a point simply for a great adventure, unless others are likely to experience a similar adventure.

I haven't done a whole lot of series, and those that I have done have been relatively short. So, I've awarded favorite points to individual caches along the series, just like I do with non-series caches.

I have about 17 percent of my favorite points still in the bank.

#1-4

I've read in the forums that some people give fav points to a cache because they were the First To Find. Or a fav point to a cache because they went with a group of people and had a great time finding that cache. In both cases it is their personal experience that counted, the cache quality played no role in their Fav vote decision. Location, cache container size, quality, and creativity all play a role in my decision. When I reward a favorite point I think about whether I would recommend that cache to another cacher.

You forgot that some people give archived cache favorite because its archived. Ape cache is one of them. Any favorited caches on my fav list that get archived will get removed.

Do not understand why folks remove favorite points just because it got archived. Its still a favorite when you found it. Your favorite points are distributed amongst all your finds (1 in every 10), not just your active ones. A cache getting archived has nothing to do with me not thinking it was a favorite at the time or not. I think GS is even considering locking favorite points when a cache gets archived, or at least stopping the ability to remove them after the fact. Low on their priority list, but something they have considered.

Edited by lamoracke

#1 through 4. Yep, but I would also add great challenge to the puzzle thing.

#5? Never.

#6? I am more inclined to give one to a good friend if its on the borderline but I won't give one just because that person is a friend and won't if its unremarkable.

#7? Hrm. Sorta. I have seen some caches which were probably not my top favorites but were good and I felt it deserved to have a favorite point. I thought it was funny once I gave a cache a favorite point because it did not have one in 200+ finds and was a good experience (but not great) and then the next 2 people gave them as well! (were with me, but I never asked them or mentioned a favorite to them)

#8 or 9? Never.

Edited by lamoracke

Do not understand why folks remove favorite points just because it got archived. Its still a favorite when you found it. Your favorite points are distributed amongst all your finds (1 in every 10), not just your active ones. A cache getting archived has nothing to do with me not thinking it was a favorite at the time or not.

This may be connected to the fact that many cachers do not use the favourites in the way I would expect them to do, namely to collect a list of caches *they* enjoyed the most, but somehow see their favourite list as a list of recommendations to some imaginary cacher out there. Then of course archived caches make no sense on such a list as they cannot visited any longer. My personal idea of favourites is quite different and is purely based on my own experience. For example, caches that stick out by a special container, but nothing else, never ever would make it to my favourites while I still might recommend such a cache to all those who enjoy such caches. Quite often when I encounter caches with many favourite points I end up disappointed because they do not match my preferences at all.

A cache does not need to be exceptional in any sense to belong to my favourites and many exceptional caches are much too tiresome for me to be eligible for my favourites.

Cezanne

a. They are the "top" 10% of my finds, with "top" being based on very subjective criteria, but broadly your #1-3 plus great location.

b. They apply to me and/or my family's experience in finding the cache.

c. They need not apply to any other past/future Finders.

d. My surplus is nearly always zero; see (a), as there always exists a top 10% for me.

e. As new caches are added to my list, other caches may drop off; see (a), and since I'm selective about caches I search, there is sometimes some competition within my list.

f. Archived caches can and do appear on my list; see (a).

Edited by abanazar

...many cachers do not use the favourites in the way I would expect them to do, namely to collect a list of caches *they* enjoyed the most, but somehow see their favourite list as a list of recommendations to some imaginary cacher out there. My personal idea of favourites is quite different and is purely based on my own experience.

I use favorites as recommendations, but not for some imaginary geocacher. I use them to identify caches that I think many real geocachers probably will enjoy. A public service, if you will.

Using favorites to recommend caches to other geocachers makes sense to me, since it's reasonably easy for people to see these points and sort lists using them. (Incorporating them into PQs would be nice, too.) If lots of people award points in this fashion, then favorite points can be used as another tool for helping to select caches that might be worth visiting.

If I wanted to create a list of my personal favorites, then I could do so with a bookmarks list.

Quite often when I encounter caches with many favourite points I end up disappointed because they do not match my preferences at all.

Maybe you have unusual preferences. Or perhaps many people in your area are awarding favorite points purely based on their own experiences.

I feel its important to award favorite points.

I give them for any cache I'll remember for a while.

Special container, great location, or the cache was a good adventure, all get them.

If its a bad container that otherwise would get a favorite, I won't give one.

I have some in the bank at all times. The amount stays pretty constant so I give out ten percent. I think people should get appreciation for their efforts.

I'm going to be focusing more on quality rather than quantity, so I may not have any in the bank soon.

How do you spend your favorite points?

Sparingly. Of 441 we've accumulated so far, we've spent 170.

As far as how we dole them out, pretty much either #1, #2, or #3.

I'm not in a rush to give them out, but when caches come along that we really enjoy, we use them.

I have to raise an eyebrow at some of the caches we've found that have gotten them. Really? What is it about this particular lamp post cache or guard rail cache that put it into your top 10%?

At the moment, I've got 13 unused Favorite points which is about average for me. It's dipped into single digits and pushed 20 at times.

I usually give them out for some combination of location, theme, quality of container, and anything I'd consider an "epic adventure" - which to me includes many good night caches and good "walking tour" multis. I do probably more puzzles than average, but many cool puzzles are mundane containers in mundane locations; to get a favorite, the location and container usually need to tie into the puzzle theme to garner a Favorite point. I have had some that would've gotten a Favorite if the container wasn't lousy. Something unusual/unique is always a big plus; I gave a point to a Letterbox that was in an ammo can...in a tree (that required climbing). Out of nearly 1700 Finds, it is easily the largest container I've ever found not on the ground.

I've never given sympathy Favorite points or just because I'm friends with the CO. I have seen others that seem to have done so though.

I've nearly always been pleased with a cache that I went searching for because it had lots of Favorite points.

Edited by Joshism

I guess I must be unimaginative: I give favorite points to the caches that are my favorites. I suppose there's overlap between your first 4 points and what makes a cache good enough to be a favorite of mine, but I don't think of those things when using my points.

There are a heck of a lot of fun caches out there, so one thing I have noticed is that a cache is more likely to be a rise above the bar into favoritehood when it's found on a particularly enjoyable excursion.

Quite often when I encounter caches with many favourite points I end up disappointed because they do not match my preferences at all.

Maybe you have unusual preferences.

Yes, in some sense I do. For example, creative containers and hideouts are not of any attraction to me and quite often even contribute to decreasing my enjoyment (this happens e.g. if the container is hard to open or to retrieve for clumsy people like me and I have to fight 20 minutes with logging while the walk was only 10 minutes long or if the final is unexpectedly located at a location requiring a lot of stealth).

I like hiking caches, but cannot do the really spectacular ones among them due to physical limitations. A nice 2-3 hours walk which leads me through a nice landscape with a container of at least size small which is relatively easy to find and retrieve is what I really like. This is neither of special attraction to those who typically only put caches that are extreme in some sense on their list of favourites, nor to those for whom it is about searching and creativity nor to those who are physically very fit and typically walk 35km and 1000 height meters and more per day. I have a demanding job where I sit for too many hours in front of a computer and I'm not that much looking for real challenges in my leisure time, I want to get off from the high stress level and forget my problems for a while.

I never ever would include a cache to my list of preferred caches because it has been hidden by a friend or a similar reason, but of course what plays the major role is whether I did enjoy a cache and not whether a think that some other group of cachers might enjoy the cache. It is quite natural that an overworked person with physical limitations who goes for geocaches in order not to be even more physically inactive will have different preferences than e.g. a family with two children in the age group 5-8 years. I know from positive feedback I received that I'm not that bad in recommending others caches that they are likely to enjoy. My recommendations are, however, often quite different from the caches that are my personal favourites. I mainly use the favourite lists typically in the way that I look at the cachers favouriting a cache and if most of them among them have a different preference, I rather interpret the favourites as anti-recommendations for myself. Of course that only works in areas where I know many cachers.

From my personal point of view, it is much more helpful if a cacher A whose preferences I know well, puts the caches he really enjoyed the most on his favourite list and not those he thinks are a good recommendation for the majority. This can be very misleading.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne
I have to raise an eyebrow at some of the caches we've found that have gotten them. Really? What is it about this particular lamp post cache or guard rail cache that put it into your top 10%?

I've had the same experience. The most-favorited cache in my state (or if it's not, it's in the top 3) is, to be honest, nothing special at all, aside from the fact that it's the oldest in the state and one of the oldest remaining caches in the US. Aside from its age and a steep hike (but short) in & out, there's nothing remarkable about the cache, location or the journey.

Edited by dakboy

The most-favorited cache in my state (or if it's not, it's in the top 3) is, to be honest, nothing special at all, aside from the fact that it's the oldest in the state and one of the oldest remaining caches in the US. Aside from its age and a steep hike (but short) in & out, there's nothing remarkable about the cache, location or the journey.

A cache's age also isn't a factor when I award favorite points. I figure people who enjoy finding old caches already know how to locate them.

We use our favourite points to mark caches where we had a memorable experience. Sometimes this is just a cache we found all together, such as a milestone. So our favourite points rarely have any bearing on what other cachers might experience.

We did a series of caches the other day that all had numerous favourite points already (20+) so we saved ours as we only have three to give away right now.

Well, I enjoy finding an old cache that has stood the test of time so I am in the camp that yes, in some cases, the age of the cache will influence my vote. However, in most cases, those caches are in great places so it just reinforces why I am giving the favorite point. If not for the age, may never have gotten the cache in the first place.

The most-favorited cache in my state (or if it's not, it's in the top 3) is, to be honest, nothing special at all, aside from the fact that it's the oldest in the state and one of the oldest remaining caches in the US. Aside from its age and a steep hike (but short) in & out, there's nothing remarkable about the cache, location or the journey.

A cache's age also isn't a factor when I award favorite points. I figure people who enjoy finding old caches already know how to locate them.

That might well be, but still the age of a cache often comes into the game at least implicitely.

On the one hand, old caches often have a lot of founds by old-schoolers and according to my experience many of them have different preferences than many cachers that started to cache much later and on the other hand, finding a cache was more special back then and also the equipment of many cachers was much worse and this increased the adventure factor.

For example, this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8ecb7980-25d3-4b41-95e5-04d5bdc30b9a

belongs to my first ten finds and I have been there twice (once when the weather was still very Autumn like and warm and once a few days later after some snow fall) and I in the second attempt I finally found the cache. I did not own a GPS at that time and was somehow proud of my find and also of having managed the hike under Winter conditions. It was also nice to experience the area twice within a few days and realize how much the area has changed due to the weather change.

The example cache above definitely belongs to my list of 10% caches that I enjoyed the most. A nice non-drive in location with a nice view if the weather is suitable and a memorable experience for me that I will never forget. Those who are attracted by creative containers, challenging or tricky hideouts, spectactular physical challenges or something very exceptional will never ever put this cache on their list of favourites.

Cezanne

We've favorited many (now) archived caches. Most were extended hikes and awesome views. They were favorites.

We recently favorited a five-terrain "need rope" hide that wasn't really that high, but was put out by a seven year old. We had fun. He deserved it.

Most points still go to five terrain, extended hikes and/or awesome views.

Unfortunately, we're banking more points than placing them lately. We realize that many today don't cache like us (though CJ will still do c&ds) and our favorites may not fit the norm. Unlike an earlier post, we're also focusing on quality over quantity and sadly, expect to bank even more.

I've noticed a number of people adding a favorite point to any cache they FTF, regardless of the quality of that cache.

Did you notice folks dumping favorite points on the film cans on a power trail?

Not particularly, but I have noticed that the first and/or last cache in a power trail tends to get a bunch of favorite points as people use it to indicate that they enjoyed the trail as a whole.

When Favorites were released I immediately went back through my "Best Caches" bookmark list and awarded those caches Favorites, archived or not.

I consider my list to be based on my experience and preference and not what I think others might like.

I would still like to see Groundspeak implement some sort of algorithm that would look at cachers who tend to Favorite the same caches as you and produce a "Other caches you might enjoy" list.

Do not understand why folks remove favorite points just because it got archived. Its still a favorite when you found it. Your favorite points are distributed amongst all your finds (1 in every 10), not just your active ones. A cache getting archived has nothing to do with me not thinking it was a favorite at the time or not.

This may be connected to the fact that many cachers do not use the favourites in the way I would expect them to do, namely to collect a list of caches *they* enjoyed the most, but somehow see their favourite list as a list of recommendations to some imaginary cacher out there.

I'm not imaginary.

I haven't removed my fav votes from archived caches but if I ran out and needed a vote for an active cache that deserves recognition, I would definitely consider removing a vote from an old archived cache.

The Help Center Favorites section says this with regards to events:

"Since the point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others, it doesn't really make sense to spend a Favorite point on an event which has already taken place."

Wouldn't this apply to archived caches? The cache no longer exists so it doesn't make sense to spend a Favorite point on it. Although I can see leaving it, if you don't need the points, in order to pat the cache owner on the back for a job well done.

...many cachers do not use the favourites in the way I would expect them to do, namely to collect a list of caches *they* enjoyed the most, but somehow see their favourite list as a list of recommendations to some imaginary cacher out there. My personal idea of favourites is quite different and is purely based on my own experience.

I use favorites as recommendations, but not for some imaginary geocacher. I use them to identify caches that I think many real geocachers probably will enjoy. A public service, if you will.

Using favorites to recommend caches to other geocachers makes sense to me, since it's reasonably easy for people to see these points and sort lists using them. (Incorporating them into PQs would be nice, too.) If lots of people award points in this fashion, then favorite points can be used as another tool for helping to select caches that might be worth visiting.

If I wanted to create a list of my personal favorites, then I could do so with a bookmarks list.

Yes, exactly. Well said CanadianRockies. And a good point about a bookmark list sufficing for personal cache experiences (like a milestone experience e.g. 1000th find). When I sort a list to float the caches with highest Fav votes to the top, I'm not looking for caches that Joe Cacher was FTF at, or had a fun time with a group of friends.

This may be connected to the fact that many cachers do not use the favourites in the way I would expect them to do, namely to collect a list of caches *they* enjoyed the most, but somehow see their favourite list as a list of recommendations to some imaginary cacher out there.

I'm not imaginary.

What I meant with imaginery is that when recommending a certain cache one always has to have certain target groups in mind. One possible approach is to have in mind the average local cacher. There is a big difference between recommending a cache to a specific person and recommending it to some inhomogenous group.

"Since the point of Favorites is to recommend great caching experiences to others, it doesn't really make sense to spend a Favorite point on an event which has already taken place."

Wouldn't this apply to archived caches? The cache no longer exists so it doesn't make sense to spend a Favorite point on it.

I have already mentioned back then when the favorite system has been introduced that the term favorite is badly chosen if it is not the personal experience that counts.

FTFs, milestones and other aspects of that type do not play a role in my decision whether a cache belongs to the group of caches I liked the most, but my personal preferences which are different from the preferences of the majority do play a role. It appears quite absurd to me that cacher A should include caches to his favourite lists that he did not enjoy, but expects them to be enjoyable for a large group of cachers.

Take e.g. this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4b099eb3-66c5-4323-9bf6-0270d79d004f

I immediately knew when this cache showed up and even more when I saw the container that it will get many favourite points and that many cachers will really enjoy the cache. The location is absolutely boring, answering the questions is a routine chore - the only attraction of the cache is the self-built container which is a little firefighters car into which a film canister is inserted.

Do you really excpect cachers like myself who do not enjoy such caches (for me it is about the location and the walk/hike to the cache) to put them on their favourite list just because many cachers will enjoy the cache?

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Occasionally I will scan through the caches I have listed as Favorites and review it. If I find that I need to actually find my log for that cache to recall why I added it to the list then I'll often remove the point from it.

Caches on my list need to stand out to me for some reason.

I like keeping the Favorite points on Archived caches because, in my mind, it helps keep those caches alive in the memory of caching community. I always have visions of some newbie coming along and looking at my profile and seeing a cache in the list that was archived years before he even heard of the hobby and having a "A-ha" moment and realizing caching doesn't need to be about parking lots.

I've noticed a number of people adding a favorite point to any cache they FTF, regardless of the quality of that cache.

I give out favorite points based on the totality of the experience. Mainly, location, journey, container, cleverness of the hide, etc. I sometimes wish I could give more than one to a particular cache like Necropolis.

If an FTF really blew my skirt up, I guess I would award a point because the totality of my experience would be greater than the average cache. And I think I did on a cache that I FTF'd over a thousand miles from home.

Based on my personal criteria and recollection, many of my points when they were first awarded went to archived caches that I believe deserved my recognition even though they had gone away before favorite points existed.

1-4 for me and I've got a lot of spares.

For me it's what I've enjoyed finding whether still active or not.

I find favorite points a very useful tool. But like most ratings, it still requires a bit of thought.

I see a lot of favorites on virtuals and earthcaches presumably just because they are virts and ECs but I can easily deal with that.

To help weed out the other points that are for reasons 5-?, the percent of favorites is useful.

We still wait for Groundspeak to add points and hopefully percent to PQ downloads to help with planning.

For me it's a matter of 1-4, and I consider them all. I've seen quite a few containers that were cool but I didn't award a point if I thought the location wasn't really worth noting.

Of course, as time passes and I earn more points I'll hand out more but for now I have to be choosy. I have one point left that I'm saving for a mountaintop cache with fantastic views that I'll be searching for next week. I already know that's going to be an epic search!

We use our favourite points to mark caches where we had a memorable experience. Sometimes this is just a cache we found all together, such as a milestone. So our favourite points rarely have any bearing on what other cachers might experience.

Yep, same here. About the only way we filter caches anymore is if they are available without a string of DNFs. We won't know or care if a cache already has favs until we get to logging our finds. We understand that favs have nothing to do with the quality of a cache, and don't wish to be prejudiced by false data to find or avoid any cache.

Yep, that too; but some of our more recent FTFs have been as a group and have been faved as a fun, memorable family outing. Most of the favs we've given out recently have been for the memories of the find, not for the quality of the cache. Most of the favs given to caches around here were awarded for a milestone or a memorable side-story.

Wow all this over favourite points. They are 'your' favourite points. Dish them out how you want to dish them. If you whack a load on rubbish caches because you had a nice time getting there then fine by me. I ignore the favourite son a cache unless its over 10 anyway. And hell if 10 people have had a great time finding it then maybe I wanna see what so great about the walk from the car park to the cache.

I've had a look at my favourites. Ive dished out 10 points:

3 - Great location. Something I would have missed otherwise

1 - My first ever cache

1 - My girlfriends first ever cache

5 - Really puzzling/funny/inventive cache

What I meant with imaginery is that when recommending a certain cache one always has to have certain target groups in mind. One possible approach is to have in mind the average local cacher. There is a big difference between recommending a cache to a specific person and recommending it to some inhomogenous group.

I agree. I try to think generically when recommending a cache with a Fav point. Is it generally a quality cache experience - good container, maintained, nice location, clever/creative/funny. In my area when checking who gave a Fav point, I get to know a cacher's style and if someone who has a similar caching style to mine then I give their vote more weight. But ultimately I read a few of the latest comments to make my final decision.

Wouldn't this apply to archived caches? The cache no longer exists so it doesn't make sense to spend a Favorite point on it.

I have already mentioned back then when the favorite system has been introduced that the term favorite is badly chosen if it is not the personal experience that counts.

Yes 'Favorite' is not the best term. Many people insist that it's a 'Personal Favorite List' even if the guidelines state it is a recommended list.

Take e.g. this cache

http://www.geocachin...f6-0270d79d004f

I immediately knew when this cache showed up and even more when I saw the container that it will get many favourite points and that many cachers will really enjoy the cache. The location is absolutely boring, answering the questions is a routine chore - the only attraction of the cache is the self-built container which is a little firefighters car into which a film canister is inserted.

Do you really excpect cachers like myself who do not enjoy such caches (for me it is about the location and the walk/hike to the cache) to put them on their favourite list just because many cachers will enjoy the cache?

I see your point. In my area if you place a cache in a tree and make people climb for it, or you make people canoe to a cache you are guaranteed at least 10 favorite votes. If you make them canoe to the cache and then climb a tree you are going to be smothered in favorite votes.

I can't/don't climb trees and I don't canoe/kayak/sail/etc. But if I did, I might also give those caches a fav vote. However, they are using the list as intended...to recommend. But as you say, the audience may be somewhat specific (if you like climbing trees you might also like this cache, if you like puzzles with creative containers you might also like this cache). Using the fav list for milestones (I was FTF on this film canister behind Walmart) is not the intended use of the Favorite List. Personal bookmarks would better serve personal milestone experiences.

Last I looked the 2nd most favorited cache in NJ was the oldest in the state. It's a decent cache but no different than of dozens of others within a mile of it. In fact some of the others are better in my opinion but don't don't get the favorites.

As far as how I dole points out:

1. That was an incredible adventure!

2. That was a beautiful/interesting/unique location.

3. I thought the cache was a couple of notches above the ordinary for whatever reason.