New and frustrated

itsonlyosier

I have been using my iphone to geocache and I love it. My husband bought me the Etrex 20 for my birthday, and its really really ticking me off.

I have topo Canada via sd card, and it says its enabled. Though, when I hit map, or find cache, I get a blue screen with a purple line, but no topography or anything else. Just blue screen.

As well, how do I get my pocket queries to work?

I seriously think I should take it back and just use my phone. This is brutal.

I have been using my iphone to geocache and I love it. My husband bought me the Etrex 20 for my birthday, and its really really ticking me off.

I have topo Canada via sd card, and it says its enabled. Though, when I hit map, or find cache, I get a blue screen with a purple line, but no topography or anything else. Just blue screen.

As well, how do I get my pocket queries to work?

I seriously think I should take it back and just use my phone. This is brutal.

Have you generated a pocket query yet?

www.geocaching.com/pocket

After doing this, download the query and copy it onto the GPX folder on your GPS, when plugged into the pc (I'm not sure if that's the same on and Etrex 20).

Restart GPS and your GPX files should be in the Geocaching folder

As eusty said.... read up on the provided link.

The eTrex is easy to use, it's just a matter of what you "are used to" using. Each and every new device to someone has a learning curve.

As we do not use a Garmin, I'm not totally sure, but I believe that you need to unzip the zip file prior to loading into your unit.

Once you are familiar with the eTrex you will be happy with how each device supplements and compliment one another.

I have no issues using PQ on my iphone. I just can't get them to work on my GPS. I tried to copy the zip file over, but it still doesn't load.

I'm quite ready to return the GPS, and just use my phone. Its much more user friendly. And does what I want.

Ah, the Garmin has no idea what to do with a zip file. You need to unzip it on your computer and copy the gpx file to your Garmin.

On the blue screen with the "purple" line, have you tried backing off the zoom level on the map? Perhaps your zoomed in to far.

Edited by jholly

I have no issues using PQ on my iphone. I just can't get them to work on my GPS. I tried to copy the zip file over, but it still doesn't load.

I'm quite ready to return the GPS, and just use my phone. Its much more user friendly. And does what I want.

If you are sure the PQ is on then just unzip the two .GPX files (one is caches, the other waypoints) and drop them in the \Garmin\GPX folder, reboot the unit and that should be that :)

I took my gps back to the store to ask questions.

Turns out, there was something wrong with my TOPO Canada SD card. My machine wasn't recognizing it, nor was the one at the store. (Kinda makes me feel better to know it wasn't just me being stupid.)

So, they inserted a new TOPO SD, and voila, it works!!