External GPS for iPhone 4

I have an iPhone 4 and am wondering if there are any Bluetooth GPS receivers that will give me better performance (particularly under tree cover) than the built-in GPS? Could also connect to dock connector. Ideally it wouldn't require jail breaking my iPhone 4, but I'm willing to do that if needed to get a better GPS.

I have one now but the performance is worse, not better, but it was pretty cheap so it's not really a shock.

I have an iPhone 4 and am wondering if there are any Bluetooth GPS receivers that will give me better performance (particularly under tree cover) than the built-in GPS? Could also connect to dock connector. Ideally it wouldn't require jail breaking my iPhone 4, but I'm willing to do that if needed to get a better GPS.

I have one now but the performance is worse, not better, but it was pretty cheap so it's not really a shock.

You could try the GNS 1000 GPS which is a Bluetooth gps receiver. However for that money (100 USD) you could also get a Garmin etrex 10.

Happy Hunting

Dersachensucher

Yeah, what he said :D

There are actually several bluetooth GPSRs that will work with iPod Touch and iPhone. But they're not cost competititve -- they come pretty close to the price of an entry level handheld unit (like the eTrex 10) and the latter will be more generally useful.

I personally have the TeleNav GPS version 5.9.3i.26, which has served me very well. This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad, Compatible with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G.Requires iOS 4.0 or later. It usually comes free for all Spring customers on their smartphones.

I'm on my fourth Garmin. But beginning to really get annoyed at how proprietary they have gotten with their rugged handhelds. Presently using a GPSMAP 60cx. Nice but can't do "paperless" (well maybe a little with GSAK micros) so I got myself a tablet. Tablets blow Nuvi's out of the water. Getting to pick what geoapps to run and not being locked into someones firmware is very appealing.

It used to be when a newer unit was released they would discount the older models. This isn't happening anymore. There is not that much of a price difference between the 60 and 62's {as I use open source maps)besides I don't like the user interface of the 62's as it seems more clunky and hard to get to do what I want than the 60's.

Since I've gotten a tablet I've been looking at what bluetooth gpsr are out there as the internal receiver does eat the battery. Found a few already out there. So was interested when Garmin sent out the press release on the GLO. If you already have a tablet or robust smartphone this might very well be an option. Lets see the specs on the antenna (doesn't look like a quad-helix is sticking out of it).

Looks like this was tuned for the aviation crowd. They go a lot faster than the average Geocacher so don't need to be as accurate as we've been accustomed to.

Perhaps Garmin is seeing where the technology is maturing to. Compare a tablet up to a Nuvi. I don't see dedicated automotive GPSr being really good sellers in the not too distant future (or even now). Hopefully the trend will follow with the handhelds. What are the present drawbacks of the GLO? Well this is what I would like in my next unit. 1)Good antenna 2) Form factor like the 60cx (Waterproof and screen readable outdoors) 3) Bluetooth, to communicate with my other electronics.

So the GLO has 3 but is a little lacking in 1 and 2.

I use the DUAL XGPS 150. It's 100% iPhone compatible and costs about $80. I've had very few problems with it. It picks up signal in about 30 seconds and the battery lasts for 8 hours. The only complaints are the velcro strap is basically worthless and that sometimes the refresh speed lags. Although that's on a Motorola Triumph, which is plagued with bluetooth issues. But on my iPad, perfect.