HOW do I use UTM for setting up a new cache?

riotwarrior

Hello,

I have watched caching and done a few and enjoy it.

I have placed a cache locally, and took my way point for said cache. I came home went to upload the data and cannot.

This site shows caches to download in Long Lat and UTM, I only use UTM as it's the primary method we use GPS locally within our SAR groups.

I have my cache way point data in UTM and cannot for the life of me figure out HOW to get that into the create a cache section, it only has provisions for long lats.

Why when the site provides both for download can it not take the same for upload? I don't want to mess around converting or anything I just want to add in 11U XXXXXX XXXXXX in the system and create a cache.

Does anyone know how to input UTM into the system??????

Why when the site provides both for download can it not take the same for upload? I don't want to mess around converting or anything I just want to add in 11U XXXXXX XXXXXX in the system and create a cache.

If you are not willing to spend 10 seconds to convert from UTM into Lat/Lon, then perhaps your commitment to placing a good cache is not all that great...

Heck, your GPS will probably do it for you! If not, there are plenty of ways to do it online.

If you are not willing to spend 10 seconds to convert from UTM into Lat/Lon, then perhaps your commitment to placing a good cache is not all that great...

Heck, your GPS will probably do it for you! If not, there are plenty of ways to do it online.

I don't need s***e like this I need an active solution....whom are you to question my commitment to placing a "good cache" It is in an incredibly awesome location in comparison the the 10 caches I have located....especially the last 8...Do not judge my cache when you truly know nothing about it or myself what so ever!

Maybe my GPS will do it....maybe it won't...maybe there are plenty of spots on the net to do the conversion as well...at the very least it would behoove this site to provide the converter at a minimum....we all do not do the same things the same way....

Hello,

I have placed a cache locally, and took my way point for said cache. I came home went to upload the data and cannot.

This site shows caches to download in Long Lat and UTM, I only use UTM as it's the primary method we use GPS locally within our SAR groups.

I have my cache way point data in UTM and cannot for the life of me figure out HOW to get that into the create a cache section, it only has provisions for long lats.

The problem with using UTM is that the majority of cachers don't have their gps devices set for that format.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=208

11.3. WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format

Why do we use WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format?

Most GPS receivers are set coming out of the box with WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format. Using this setting will be less likely to confuse new GPS owners.

The conversion to UTM is on cache pages, I assume for the convenience of finders who prefer that format.

I also assume that the cache submission form does not include UTM because it would be confusing to have a cache be published that isn't the "accepted" format.

Here's a thread from 2009, which I found through Google:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=228162

I don't think you need to do the conversion yourself. You don't mention what gps you are using, but I'm guessing that it will do the conversion if you switch it to the other format.

B.

Hello,

The problem with using UTM is that the majority of cachers don't have their gps devices set for that format.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=208

11.3. WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format

Why do we use WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format?

Most GPS receivers are set coming out of the box with WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format. Using this setting will be less likely to confuse new GPS owners.

The conversion to UTM is on cache pages, I assume for the convenience of finders who prefer that format.

I also assume that the cache submission form does not include UTM because it would be confusing to have a cache be published that isn't the "accepted" format.

Here's a thread from 2009, which I found through Google:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=228162

I don't think you need to do the conversion yourself. You don't mention what gps you are using, but I'm guessing that it will do the conversion if you switch it to the other format.

B.

My GPS will do the conversion...I have it set the exact way I want it...UTM not lat long...on call for sar makes confusing to swap back and forth or hand my gps to another....set it forget it..this is my point....switching is unacceptable and cause for potential error IMHO...

Accepted method is the one I accept....we do all our maps in UTM and gps are set to it so that's an accepted method to me...

I download the data to my GPS from this site and it's set to UTM, funny how I can find caches..thus that data must be there...

People understand this; my changing my GPS to another format is not an acceptable answer....telling me to go to another site to convert...not really what I am hoping for.

What could be accepted is that the site accepts UTM or provides converter for those who do use UTM on the page for inputting data for location of caches created...makes the most sense to me to add it in.

For submitting a cache for review, you only need to switch your gps' device for a few minutes, in order to get the correct format for input into the cache submission page.

No one is suggesting that you need to stop using UTM for finding caches. That's your choice. And Groundspeak provides the means to do that on each cache page.

But there needs to be a standard format, and that is what Groundspeak has done by choosing to publish caches in one format as the primary format.

B.

Sorry Al

Quote;

People understand this; my changing my GPS to another format is not an acceptable answer....telling me to go to another site to convert...not really what I am hoping for.

The acceptable answer is that YOU should be able to switch back and forth between formats! or use a converter.

What are you going to do when you get a Spot call in Degrees? or Degrees minutes?

Sorry :)

Sorry Al

Quote;

The acceptable answer is that YOU should be able to switch back and forth between formats! or use a converter.

What are you going to do when you get a Spot call in Degrees? or Degrees minutes?

If you can't call for help in UTM, you don't deserve to be rescued.

IT would appear to me that UTM is a "standard" format used...funny how the word standard is open to interpretation. For me, UTM not long lat...we have yet to get a SPOT call and that would likely be converted above my pay grade and passed down accordingly to those that do the leg work.

As UTM is the format we use as a standard and Groundspeak does indeed post that info for caches along with long lats; that invariably would make sense it does so for those that use said standard and should likewise provide same for input of caches...there are IIRC 3 different long lat formats they provide for how difficult would it be to add UTM. If long lat is the standard why not just pick one only?

I could make changes on GPS PN60 easy enough but if I forget and go on call it could cause me issues in the field as mentioned same with if I forgot and lent my GPS to another sar volunteer.

As you can see clearly the site provides one half of the equation, perhaps it's time to provide the other?

Sorry Al

Quote;

If you can't call for help in UTM, you don't deserve to be rescued.

I never said that....What I am saying is we primarily USE UTM...the locations and data is passed down from the powers that be...it minimizes error when taking way way points or going to way points if everyone is on the same page.....right? on the rarest of occasions a point is needed in Lat Long...very very rare...for aircraft spotting only. Just seems to be logical when the maps handed out, our compass has the UTM grid in the appropriate scale and so forth are all UTM....just sayin is all...lmfao

Edited by riotwarrior

Why is it that some must always swim upstream?

The site has been set the way it is for a fair number of years, well over a million people use it as is, then one comes along and expects it to change for them. All else can be darned (Would have said it otherwise, but the site would have changed it anyway).

Personally, I would never use a "business" unit for recreation. I would use a separate unit -- easy not to 'forget' that way.

Do everyone a favor, and don't pretend to be better than the rest.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

IT would appear to me that UTM is a "standard" format used...funny how the word standard is open to interpretation. For me, UTM not long lat...we have yet to get a SPOT call and that would likely be converted above my pay grade and passed down accordingly to those that do the leg work.

As UTM is the format we use as a standard and Groundspeak does indeed post that info for caches along with long lats; that invariably would make sense it does so for those that use said standard and should likewise provide same for input of caches...there are IIRC 3 different long lat formats they provide for how difficult would it be to add UTM. If long lat is the standard why not just pick one only?

I could make changes on GPS PN60 easy enough but if I forget and go on call it could cause me issues in the field as mentioned same with if I forgot and lent my GPS to another sar volunteer.

As you can see clearly the site provides one half of the equation, perhaps it's time to provide the other?

You misunderstood what I was saying about a "standard" format.

I wasn't saying that UTM is not a standard format.

I was trying to say that Groundspeak has chosen a different format than UTM for publishing caches. They explain why in the Help Center article I posted.

This is the way it is. Over one million caches published by Groundspeak use the same format as the primary listing format.

No one has said that you need to change your gps device for longer than it takes to submit a cache for review. You can then change it back to the UTM format you prefer.

Nothing is going to change. You're going to get the same answer here, because that's just the way it is. If you want Groundspeak to change something, you can politely make that request in the "Feature Discussions and Suggestions" forum.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139

This is a discussion forum for members to help others who ask "How do I...". You've gotten the only answer there is. If a coordinate format is not available on the cache submission form, there's not much that can be done by anyone replying to you here.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

You know what. It is a privately owned website. TPTB can do whatever they feel like. If they decide to change the language to Russian, then they can do it. And I'm calling you out on being a SARtech....You have the idea that it's "My way or the highway" any half decent SARtech knows to, and would adapt to any changes in the way of doing things, because search and rescue is not a textbook do it exactly the same every time. You do what it takes, so I think you sohuld either get off your high horse and quit whining about having to do more then you want, or get off the website....

Edited by T.D.M.22

You know what. It is a privately owned website. TPTB can do whatever they feel like. If they decide to change the language to Russian, then they can do it. And I'm calling you out on being a SARtech....You have the idea that it's "My way or the highway" any half decent SARtech knows to, and would adapt to any changes in the way of doing things, because search and rescue is not a textbook do it exactly the same every time. You do what it takes, so I think you sohuld either get off your high horse and quit whining about having to do more then you want, or get off the website....

Since you put that info out there...yes they could change it to russion or what ever or add in UTM too...if they CHOSE too...LOL

First I NEVER SAID I WAS A SAR TECH...I said I was a SAR volunteer! and no it's NOT my way or hiway...it's the way we use our gps in SAR and I am comfortable doing so! as a SAR volunteer...NOT SARTECH which is MILITARY incase you didn't know..not volunteer...

I'm not on a high horse...the site provides the UTM for caches just not to make caches and that does not make sense...not now not ever would that make sense.

I was hoping I may have missed something that was not easy to see to input the data as I wish to, he ll they provide 3 different ways to input long lats...why not just one if that is the "standard" they choose...clearly they are open to differences in ways of doing things...

GOT IT...I"M not military NOT SARTECH...a volunteer and it's how we do it...simple..I can use lat longs...I DON"T USE lat longs....UTM is much more logical and much simpler to utilize!

As for getting off the website...clearly I'm here still

Edited by riotwarrior

Why is it that some must always swim upstream?

The site has been set the way it is for a fair number of years, well over a million people use it as is, then one comes along and expects it to change for them. All else can be darned (Would have said it otherwise, but the site would have changed it anyway).

Personally, I would never use a "business" unit for recreation. I would use a separate unit -- easy not to 'forget' that way.

Do everyone a favor, and don't pretend to be better than the rest.

upstream got you where you are today or you wouldnt be here would ya! Just some of us keep on swimming up stream!

GOT IT...I"M not military NOT SARTECH...a volunteer and it's how we do it...simple..I can use lat longs...I DON"T USE lat longs....UTM is much more logical and much simpler to utilize!

As for getting off the website...clearly I'm here still

Different terminology, means the same thing from the people I talk to, if it means different to you, I apologize. It may or may not be simpler to use the fact is if you want to use it, go ahead. Just don't expect the website to do everything for you, It may require a lot of downtime, and money and changes to change the site just for a few people who don't want to do it the way it is. You were given plenty of solutions that you seem to not want to even try. If you want, I'm sure one of the other caching sites will accept co-ords the way you like. Oh and I'm not gonna argue with you. My last word will stand for something (not meaning to concentrate) Hope you figure it out. Focus.

Edit to add IBTL

Edited by T.D.M.22

Long thread, sounds full of frustration, didn't read beyond the first few posts, then skimmed down.

For this cache, can you switch your GPS over to Long Lat, then write it down, then switch it back to UTM for your SAR stuff? It's just a matter of pushing some buttons on my GPS. I only know Long Lat, so can't help with converting anything. But if the GPS does it, use the tool.

It would be easier to get the SAR community to switch to Lat/Long than it would to get 5,000,000 geocachers to switch (est) 7,000,000 devices and 1,790,000 geocaches (and who knows how many multi-cache waypoints) to UTM. Not saying it would be right, but it would be easier.

In the interim, I suggest you put a suggestion in to have UTM as an input method. Raising a fuss here isn't going to get the job done and only serves to bring others to be as flustered towards you as you are about being inconvenienced.

I think this has gotten way off....

All I wanted to know was if it could be done with UTM....if not...the request is in already to the site...I thought I perhaps missed something in the page to create a cache since the site offers the data for download and posts UTM for caches. IS that understood?

If there is no solution outside of me having to convert, or me having to switch GPS back and forth, then I'll look at other options like pulling the cache which IMHO is a far nicer location as said than several of the ones I collected.

Take for instance beside a swamp that was rather smelly like sewer....Or in the bushes in an area that is used as a toilet with all kinds of well...you get the idea...cannot understand why one was there in first place...no significant view or reason for placement.

Perhaps there are sites that offer the ability to upload UTM data on a cache created and if so I'd love to know about that site.

Am I going to upload lat long don't know perhaps once I get a response back from the site.

One thing a poster did put a link in this thread with regards to someone else using UTM as well. Seems I'm not the only one swimming up stream.

Sometimes a little grit can make change and change can be good. Maybe I'm not the one with the rigid frame of mind. Just cause ya'll use lat longs does not in any way take away my preferences. Also maybe your all so set in your ways and methodology that you are afraid of change? I embrace change and challenge the status quo on just about everything I do, and in so doing am quite good at moving forward with new or different ideas.

As for SARtech, nope, that's not me, those are paid people with mega military training, I'm just a lowly volunteer who likes maps and compass and is embracing GPS.

I do not have a ton of time in SAR though I do know we have a preferred method of doing some things. I like what works well for us, I see how using UTM as a standard is efficient and simple to make work with most of the map scales we use. So easy to input spacing for lines with UTM set lets use for an example 100M apart. Such is the way.

I appreciate everyones desire to make me change and understand this it's not likely gonna happen...mom couldn't do it so I doubt any of you can...

And for this cache....I kind of thought a view like this was worth going to a cache for!

2012-06-10170732.jpg

Thanks again for all the suggestions to use tools which I don't wish to use and to change settings and all that.

Ah Ha! I've got it. Buy another GPS. Paint it red so it doesn't look at all like other one you have. Set that one for Lat Long, keep the other for UTM. Go caching with both, and tell everyone you are an ambidextrous cacher. Soon, you will be doing conversions in your head.

Ah Ha! I've got it. Buy another GPS. Paint it red so it doesn't look at all like other one you have. Set that one for Lat Long, keep the other for UTM. Go caching with both, and tell everyone you are an ambidextrous cacher. Soon, you will be doing conversions in your head.

lmfao now that's a creative suggestion....lol one thing already ambidextrous to point of being able to write with both hands...ugh...what are we to do...I usually have a radio in one hand a dadgum gps in other...

If there is no solution outside of me having to convert, or me having to switch GPS back and forth, then I'll look at other options like pulling the cache which IMHO is a far nicer location as said than several of the ones I collected.

So you would pull the cache rather than spend a grand total of ten seconds converting coordinates?

Wow.

(BTW, I have a free utility called FizzyCalc that will automatically do the conversion for you. All you have to do, literally, is paste the UTM coordinates in).

Wow. Just wow.

In all the time the CO spent bitching in this thread, he could have hid a dozen caches using UTM, done a dozen conversions, and submitted a dozen listings.

But he'd rather bitch.

At this point I'd rather see the guy quit caching.

The world doesn't need his cache.

My suggestion would be to go through the proper channels to try to make UTM an alternative method of posting coordinates. While doing this, I do not think that it would hurt to conform to the accepted method (acceptable to geocaching.com that is) of posting coordinates. It's like everyone in the room is speaking English and one person decides to speak only French (even though he does understand English).

My suggestion would be to go through the proper channels to try to make UTM an alternative method of posting coordinates. While doing this, I do not think that it would hurt to conform to the accepted method (acceptable to geocaching.com that is) of posting coordinates. It's like everyone in the room is speaking English and one person decides to speak only French (even though he does understand English).

A feature request has been submitted. The OP has indicate a total unwillingness to bend on the use of UTM. Since I don't expect the request to be implemented, we are left with an impasse. Nuff said.

As a SAR volunteer in BC as well (and recognizing at least one other besides the OP), I hope he was paying attention during his training sessions... Not only is converting UTM/Lat Long etc important to him, so is the matter of DATUM. Our topo maps range between NAD 27 and NAD83 at many odd years in terms of currency. He will have great fun trying to use UTM on many maps provided in BC that have NO UTM grid marked on at all, but do have Lat long in the formats used here DD MM.mmm / WGS84. I'm thinking forestry maps there... but they come both ways. The NAD 27 /83 datum jump here is about 200 m, I will have to look up his area, but about the same I think. Not much difference NAD 83 and WGS 84 depending on what map you have date wise. Less than 1 m if I remember.

Anyhow, he will find that BC GSAR teaches all of that, and accepts the usage as required. I also feel that a SAR volunteer should be trained to NEVER set out without checking all of his settings and gear completely first. I have 4 GPSrs now and switch them back and forth regularly in settings. NOT a problem at all! What is a problem is people who sleep/yack through training sessions and don't learn the gear and procedures. Then get in the field and tie up radio channels getting 'how to' instructions... sometimes several people in series for the same information.

For the benefit of FizzyMagic... I keep FizzyCalc available on the computers and on a thumbdrive to share. Thanks for that neat program, much used over the last several years. Makes 'fixing' things mostly un-needed since it can be done quickly by conversion at base instead.

Anyhow, something I saw the other day while reviewing a training video... Their training slogan.

"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong!"

Doug 7rxc

Dispatcher: 911 What is your emergency??

Dude: You gotta help me. I'm lost in the woods, it's getting dark and I have no flashlight. My GPS is nearly dead, and My phone is dying and I have almost no phone signal.

Dispatcher: What is your location?

Dude: I'm at 39 degrees 50. 865 minutes..

Dispatcher: Wait hold on. What is your UTM coords?

Dude: I don't know.

Dispatcher: What are you, a dimwit? Our SAR people only use UTM, so it looks like you need to find a good tree to take a nap under and think about using real coords.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Dispatcher: 911 What is your emergency??

Dude: You gotta help me. I'm lost in the woods, it's getting dark and I have no flashlight. My GPS is nearly dead, and My phone is dying and I have almost no phone signal.

Dispatcher: What is your location?

Dude: I'm at 39 degrees 50. 865 minutes..

Dispatcher: Wait hold on. What is your UTM coords?

Dude: I don't know.

Dispatcher: [snip<...] Our SAR people only use UTM, so it looks like you need to find a good tree to take a nap under and think about using real coords.

Aside from the insult that is close to some situations. Also here in BC you would not get a 'dispatcher' but a 'call taker'.

Dispatchers do that job and call takers field incoming calls and do some triage to get the right services involved and gather information. We sometimes hear of problems with coordinates provided by OnStar and Spot. Not inaccurate or anything like that, but in a format that is alien to the call takers / dispatch / responding agency crew. That is why it's nice to know and recognize what you are getting. It is improving though since no one likes getting bit twice so to speak. Big one is DD.ddd to DD MM.mmm shift.

I've heard a few that the calltaker recognized that to them coordinates 'should' have D M S sections... but that the reporting agency provided the DD.ddd form as a matter of course. Not sure what the native format was for the dispatcher entering the coords into the GPS mapping they use, but the results were often many miles off when the formats were forced to accept the digits... in the wrong columns. Again there is some education happening to reduce that. Time will tell how effective it is. I know I've offered FizzyCalc to a few people to use. But the main systems are closed to input for good reasons. Only the dispatcher can enter coordinates into the mapping system for the RCMP to keep some order... so they should be able to recognize and convert correctly if no one else does. Interestingly I've never once heard anyone give UTM coordinates, despite the fact that many here do use it.

Guess not many use topo maps any more. And as I said, one has to factor in the DATUM when paper maps get in the mix.

My guess is that the OP was a recent trainee and will be known to the poster that called him by name... same SAR area. I suspect that things will open up a wee bit there as a result. Such is the method of change. I don't mind if he uses whatever system he chooses to use as long as he understands all the factors involved.

Doug 7rxc

Interestingly I've never once heard anyone give UTM coordinates,

That's because the only people that use UTM are SAR and SAR doesn't get lost :laughing:

A nice puzzle though would be to simply put the UTM units on the page.

I've seen a few puzzle caches that resolve to UTM. I remember clearly the first one I did that didn't specify that it was UTM. I got some numbers that didn't make sense as coordinates (it left off the first 3 digits that specified the area). It wasn't until weeks later that I was doing something else that I knew was in UTM and the lightbulb lit up and I went back to the puzzle and figured it out.

That's because the only people that use UTM are SAR and SAR doesn't get lost :laughing:

Well, like I said in another topic... never lost, but those of us ex military types do make lots of 'Tactical Deviations'. :rolleyes:

As for his request. Before I found FizzyCalc, I used to use the 'Other Conversions' page on GC. The one on the cache page links to it near the coordinates (YES the lat long and UTM ones). From that page it comes pre filled with the information on the page.

Even allows for NAD27 shift for map work (NAD83 is now almost identical to WGS84). I believe that page can be accessed directly for use as a converter. So my wondering is: Would access to it from the NEW (and Old) cache submission page be easily done. Would just take a link. Then you enter what you have and get the others... not sure it works just like that, but it could be reworked a bit if needed... I should check... OR just link to a copy of FizzyCalc somewhere... Anyway a converter from the submission page. No need to add much more than that. Simpler than complex solutions.

Doug 7rxc

OP seems to be the only one that insists UTM be an accepted format, and refuses to take the few moments necessary to switch formats in a GPS, note the coords in the format needed for Groundspeak, and switch his unit back over.

Guess my question is, why should everyone else go to the trouble of converting to UTM just so one individual doesn't have to go to any effort? Guess the world can do without his participation!

A lot of the time I find myself in the same position. My dad's company GPS devices are set to use UTM because they use UTM in the mining business, and I don't want to change the format because I'll probably forget to change it back and inconvenience the next person who uses the unit. When I hide a cache, I transfer the coordinates to my computer and change the coordinate format in MapSource to get them in latitude/longitude. It's an extra step, but I'm not having a meltdown in the forums about it.

I've noticed that people on these forums are very sensitive to mentions of UTM. Last year I mentioned that one of the reasons I avoided puzzle caches (besides not being able to solve a single one) is because I use UTM and the puzzles do not. Someone immediately told me that it was my choice to use UTM and it wasn't anyone's fault that I couldn't do puzzles.dry.gif

Edited by Ambient_Skater

A lot of the time I find myself in the same position. My dad's company GPS devices are set to use UTM because they use UTM in the mining business, and I don't want to change the format because I'll probably forget to change it back and inconvenience the next person who uses the unit. When I hide a cache, I transfer the coordinates to my computer and change the coordinate format in MapSource to get them in latitude/longitude. It's an extra step, but I'm not having a meltdown in the forums about it.

I've noticed that people on these forums are very sensitive to mentions of UTM. Last year I mentioned that one of the reasons I avoided puzzle caches (besides not being able to solve a single one) is because I use UTM and the puzzles do not. Someone immediately told me that it was my choice to use UTM and it wasn't anyone's fault that I couldn't do puzzles.dry.gif

I think that the solution for you, and maybe the OP would be to get a GPSr that can create profiles. You can store a set of settings for Geocaching with suitable format, datum and units etc. and others with whatever is needed for any specific activity be it mining or sailing or flying an aircraft. There are several that I've seen, I don't think mine will of course but it's an older 60cx and the profile thing didn't come till later, but they are there and nice units as well... like the Montana series.

Maybe dad will get a new one for himself and give you the old one. Or at least switching is only a click on power up to select the appropriate settings.

Doug 7rxc

Cache is listed....funny thing...they listit with UTM as well....HOLY BAT CRAP...what a strange idea...list them but don't allow them to be input....kinda like eating soup with a fork....does not work well...but can be done!

All yer talk still does not resolve the issue...Groundspeak allows IIRC 3 different long lat formats and no UTM...I was just wanting the addition of UTM for those of us who use it....

I can and do use long lats, I prefer and most of the SAR groups in the area as stated previously use UTM unless we have to switch.

My Delorme PN60 takes but a few seconds to switch....simple nuff

AS for map use I learned back in the late 70's how to use a compass and map thanks to my father who had numerours topos from the Forestry Servive, he was a boss in forestry suppression crew and knowing I went out on the trail bike made me learn map compass and how to navigate.

Please don't assume anything about me. I have a couple of years in SAR and some basic training, I can handle the map and compass far better than GPS, just like I prefer pencil and paper to typing...LOL

A feature request has been submitted. The OP has indicate a total unwillingness to bend on the use of UTM. Since I don't expect the request to be implemented, we are left with an impasse. Nuff said.

There was NEVER a total unwillingness....just a preference...READ what I wrote...it is clear!

OP seems to be the only one that insists UTM be an accepted format, and refuses to take the few moments necessary to switch formats in a GPS, note the coords in the format needed for Groundspeak, and switch his unit back over.

Guess my question is, why should everyone else go to the trouble of converting to UTM just so one individual doesn't have to go to any effort? Guess the world can do without his participation!

IT is not about making everyone else convert...it's about adding in the option of UTM for those that prefer that methodology......simple

[Edited] they are sensitive.....wow...one suggestion / request to add it to the new cache page and it's absolute anarchy that I am creating...God forbid someone has a different idea on how things can/do get done...

It's all about an addition to the new cache page not making it the only option like long lats are currently....would be nice to have BOTH options...I think I have said this enough to have you all understand I don't want to take long lats off the new cache page...just add one more option...MY god I'm not changing the world here....come one people...

Edited by Keystone
potty language removed by moderator