Iphone 4 caching

Evony

I have an iphone 4 & we just started learning how to geocache. My geocache map will take us right on top of a cache but, then my actual phone says we're 16-30 feet still away. We're about to travel across several states & would love to take the kids geocaching in each state. Should I break down & buy an actual gps or do you have any feedback on if we're working the geocache map right.

Thanks for any info!

We're trying to learn this new hobby!

I have been using an iPhone 4 up until now and have found it to be extremely accurate except in cases where the cache was placed a few years ago and the CO used a GPS that doesn't match today's coordinates. Any recently placed caches are *bung on*. I find though that occasionally I have to let it "settle", maybe walk back and forth a bit especially if I have driven to the location or ridden my bike, but usually I end up in the first location anyways!!

Having said all that good stuff, i finally did break down and am testing a Garmin GPSMAP 62s because there are those times when I am under trees or close by buildings and then my poor little phone has a hard time making up its mind. I decided that I will use the 62s for the actual locating and keep the iphone handy for the cache descriptions etc. not that I really need it but it has such great resolution which the 62s (sadly) lacks.

I had narrowed my search down to three models and found that the 62sc fit my hands better than another newer model which, although the resolution is better, is just too big for my small hands.

On a different, but related topic, I have found several great articles that give instructions on creating cache routes. Good ole Google. :-)

16-30 feet is really about the best accuracy you should expect, even with a dedicated GPSr. The iPhone 4 is very accurate (as accurate as any handheld GPS), but no unit is going to put you within inches of the cache. 15-20 feet is an acceptable margin of error...sometimes you'll get much better than that, sometimes much worse.

As newbies the most valuable skill you will develop is knowing when to put away the GPS (or phone) and start looking for likely hiding spots.

If you really enjoy the hobby and can afford it- buy a handheld!!

Not necessary because of accuracy - although after using BOTH iPhone and handheld, I can honestly say a handheld is much better. (in my opinion)

Buy a handheld because you don't want the batteries on your phone to die out after a half day of caching. Buy a handheld because you want to get geocaches in wooded areas where cell signal is lacking. Buy a handheld because the phone is worth $600+ if you drop it or get it wet.

Believe me, you'll probably be glad you did ...

Only buy a handheld GPS if you want a waterproof unit. iPhone battery a problem - get a cheap field charger for it. Accuracy - very little difference between my 4s and handheld Dakota 20.

I can download unlimited amount of caches into Geosphere on my iPhone, I can only download a limited amount into the GPS. I can also download and browse logs on the cache page in the field with the iPhone, and use Google maps! I can't do this with a GPS.

For now, I'd suggest you stick with the iPhone. You've only had a few finds so far, and who knows, as time goes on, you may no longer enjoy 'caching.

Edited by C8W9

Only buy a handheld GPS if you want a waterproof unit. iPhone battery a problem - get a cheap field charger for it. Accuracy - very little difference between my 4s and handheld Dakota 20.

I can download unlimited amount of caches into Geosphere on my iPhone, I can only download a limited amount into the GPS. I can also download and browse logs on the cache page in the field with the iPhone, and use Google maps! I can't do this with a GPS.

For now, I'd suggest you stick with the iPhone. You've only had a few finds so far, and who knows, as time goes on, you may no longer enjoy 'caching.

I agree except for the only other benefit as to using a GPS is that you can go deep into the woods and not lose the signal any..

I agree except for the only other benefit as to using a GPS is that you can go deep into the woods and not lose the signal any..

Judging by the logs I read I'd say this is an issue with a dedicated GPS system as well to be honest.

I rarely use any form of GPS and when I do it's an iPhone - and it will almost always be because I'm in deep woods. Last time I did was in Denmark a couple of weeks ago - absolutely solid signal with the iPhone which took me right up to caches in pretty remote areas of woodland.