To event or not to event

I'm in the process of sorting a large 22 cache trad/puzzle series in the form of a pick your own ending story.

You start with an intro to the story that sets it up. Then you move along to the next cache where you take part int he story and you have to pick 1 of 3 options as to what you would do. Each option is another cache.

It goes on and on. I thought about doing it as a multi but with the distance needed to cover and the options involved I think it fits better as a puzzle.

Is this something worth creating an event for?

I would say no to the event.

That way it's it's all seekers own work until PAF kicks in.

At an event you would be likely to get bunching and other problems.

Nice idea but expect many will still desire to do all the options if you are talking individual caches rather than one staged cache.

Just my opinion and I'm usually different to everyone else.

I'm in the process of sorting a large 22 cache trad/puzzle series in the form of a pick your own ending story.

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

I'd say no too - unless I've missed the point of the event?

You start with an intro to the story that sets it up. Then you move along to the next cache where you take part int he story and you have to pick 1 of 3 options as to what you would do. Each option is another cache.

It goes on and on. I thought about doing it as a multi but with the distance needed to cover and the options involved I think it fits better as a puzzle.

Guidelines regarding events haven't changed:

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=308

An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search. Such group hunts are best organized using a discussion forum or an email distribution list.

B.

On the other hand, an evening event which happens to be not so far from the final may bring people into the area who fancy giving the series a go. You can't set an event to do a specific cache or 'go caching' but it's quite easy to hold an event where all caching is optional. I say go for it. And if it's on during the Geolympix, if you'd like to give it a Geolympix flavour we'd be happy to help with that.

On the other hand, an evening event which happens to be not so far from the final may bring people into the area who fancy giving the series a go. You can't set an event to do a specific cache or 'go caching' but it's quite easy to hold an event where all caching is optional. I say go for it. And if it's on during the Geolympix, if you'd like to give it a Geolympix flavour we'd be happy to help with that.

Another thread falls foul of the paul hijack

Another thread falls foul of the paul hijack
At least my post was on-topic and helpful :ph34r:

Staying on-topic and helpful, the series (which I heard about in a pub near Bicester at the end of last month) sounds like a lot of fun. I hope I get a chance to try it out, event or no event :)

I thought I remembered they had changed. I mean, I can see they haven't, but did I just totally make that up? Was there some other change recently to make geocaching a bit more "free play"?

There was a recent change to the Event logging requirements. There does not have to be a log book and if there is, you don't have to sign it.

Is that what you're thinking of?

Mark

I thought I remembered they had changed. I mean, I can see they haven't, but did I just totally make that up? Was there some other change recently to make geocaching a bit more "free play"?

There was a recent change to the Event logging requirements. There does not have to be a log book and if there is, you don't have to sign it.

Mark

Mark

I didn't realise that there used to be a requirement for an event log book.

There was a change in the open to all requirement allowing events at such locations as campsites to be closed to campers only.