boot attribute

After wading through swamps on the last trail we were on we decided that there really needs to be a "need boots" attribute. So glad we had ours.

may require wading seems to mean that to me.

went a bit far the other day on a cache and definitely got muck up to my knees without wading boots. However, I did find the cache. Learned I did not have to go into the swamp afterwards of course.

Edited by lamoracke

come on :-)

do you put on your most nice looking party shoes, when you plan to go geocaching ?

IF, you do, you kind of learned something now.

When I go geocaching I don't always know that the terrain will be like. A few years ago in Rome I had about a two hour break during a conference so I went off in search of a cache about a mile away. I was in "dressy casual" attire and was carrying my laptop backpack. The cache require a scramble about 100' up a very steep hill covered in oak leaves. It was one of the only caches nearby large enough for a TB so I really wanted to grab it so I could drop a few trackables I brought from the states. I think the cache was rated a 3 for terrain but although it was a short climb it wasn't exactly the kind of terrain I'd normally do wearing dress shoes.

>I was in "dressy casual" attire and was carrying my laptop backpack

HAHA, yes that is so cool.. I think we all tried something like that,

but we just dont complain about it on the forums :-)

actually some of the most NON prepared trips, can be the ones you remember the most

Edited by OZ2CPU

I don't feel that wading through water and tromping through muck are the same thing. I doubt a cache owner is going to use the wading attribute (he didn't in this case) for a cache that requires searching around along the sometimes mucky edge of a pond as we were doing or skirting around large muddy areas on the trail.

I try to avoid wearing my big heavy boots because they are big and heavy and much prefer sneakers if I can get away with them. I don't suppose we need a boot attribute as much as it would just be a nice thing to have.

After wading through swamps on the last trail we were on we decided that there really needs to be a "need boots" attribute. So glad we had ours.

went a bit far the other day on a cache and definitely got muck up to my knees without wading boots. However, I did find the cache. Learned I did not have to go into the swamp afterwards of course.

I think any cache could mean boots if its near water or in a trail system where the area has any amount of decent rainfall. Would agree its probably not a needed attribute. I almost always assume mud will happen if its rained recently regardless of the terrain. Yes, I would agree if the cache is almost always muddy it should be higher than 1.5 terrain.

I don't feel that wading through water and tromping through muck are the same thing. I doubt a cache owner is going to use the wading attribute (he didn't in this case) for a cache that requires searching around along the sometimes mucky edge of a pond as we were doing or skirting around large muddy areas on the trail.

I try to avoid wearing my big heavy boots because they are big and heavy and much prefer sneakers if I can get away with them. I don't suppose we need a boot attribute as much as it would just be a nice thing to have.

But, isn't "tromping through the muck" generally very dependant upon the recent rainfall?

The "may require wading" attribute can be confusing. To me, wading means water up to your knees or more. If its just a foot of water, its not really wading. Google up "wading pants" and you will get the picture. If there a boot attribute, it means just a foot or so of water to go through.

Like this cache, you will need wading pants. Just look at the pictures. LOL! I got a few caches in the past that you dont need to wade in anything but need boots since the cache was out in wetland.

The "may require wading" attribute can be confusing. To me, wading means water up to your knees or more. If its just a foot of water, its not really wading. Google up "wading pants" and you will get the picture. If there a boot attribute, it means just a foot or so of water to go through.

Like this cache, you will need wading pants. Just look at the pictures. LOL! I got a few caches in the past that you dont need to wade in anything but need boots since the cache was out in wetland.

Hmmm. I consider a couple of inches of water wading. Basically crossing water of any depth, even from rock to rock may require wading, especially if it has rained recently.