Bogus Coin Discovering Logs

The Klever Boys

I'm not surprised at the vagueness from GS.

This is of course the company that decided that when a coin is sold, the new owner can delete LEGITIMATE Discovered or moved logs.

Why they can't shunt them all into an archived page is beyond me is someone wants a 'clean' coin history.

I was always under the impression that virtual logging on geocoins/trackables wasn't allowed and that allowing virtual logs could cause the trackable or coin to get "locked." I thought I had read that in the guidelines, at some point. I have been trying to find some reference to that in the current guidelines and can't find anything. I did find a previous post from a couple of years ago which addressed the issue: My link See posts #16, #20, #32 specifically. Although it doesn't quote any specific guideline, it appears that there used to be, at least, the understanding that GS didn't allow virtual logging.

Wonder what happened to that philosphy? Did it used to be in the guidelines and now it isn't?

While the whole idea of virtual logging is dishonest and not in the spirit of the game, I really feel that this should be addressed and clearly stated in the guidelines. What's the harm of making it one of the guidelines like all the other guidelines? A simple statement that virtual logs are not allowed would keep cheaters like Geohirse from doing just that.

In the meantime, I will also continue to delete any bogus logs on my trackables.

Edited by steben6

Sorry for another post, but I did find this information in the pinned topic at the top of The Travel Bug secion of the forums: My link If you looked at item #21 in post #18, it specifically talks about vitual logging. Not a guideline, but pretty clear what is and isn't allowed.

"21. What's virtual logging and why do I get a talking to whenever I post a picture of coins I find or include the tracking number in the logs or in the forums? (Thank you, Droo)

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play."

You would think the same thing applies to geocoins??

Edited by steben6

Sorry for another post, but I did find this information in the pinned topic at the top of The Travel Bug secion of the forums: My link If you looked at item #21 in post #18, it specifically talks about vitual logging. Not a guideline, but pretty clear what is and isn't allowed.

"21. What's virtual logging and why do I get a talking to whenever I post a picture of coins I find or include the tracking number in the logs or in the forums? (Thank you, Droo)

If you log a bogus virtual log on a TB, or offer your own TB up for virtual logging you will risk having that TB page locked forever. This means, if you never saw a bug, but got the bug number and you log it, that bug is in risk of being taken out of the game. Don't do this to TB owners who inadvertently might post a photo, or someone else posts a photo, of their TB number. Don't log it virtually. It's considered abuse of the system. And it's not fair play."

+1

It applies to all trackables. Don't see the real thing, don't log it. Also on the trackables page, it reads:

How does a Travel Bug work?

Each Travel Bug has its own unique tracking number stamped on it. This tracking number is used as proof by the user that they found the item. It also doubles as a way for the user to locate the personal web page for the Travel Bug.

And from the FAQs page:

The Tracking Number doesn't work!

Is the tracking number you used the one that was stamped on the dog tag or geocoin?

Often, the Travel Bug reference number (aka "TB number") is confused with the tracking number. The "TB Number" is the reference code on each Travel Bug Trackable's page, which is the "safe" number to help users reference each Travel Bug without giving out the bug's actual tracking number. This will not work when picking up and grabbing Travel Bug Trackables.

If you send a request to contact@geocaching.com for the tracking number and receive an automated response, the tracking number for the email message is not the Bug's tracking number.

If you lose the tracking number...

Try and contact the Travel Bug owner and ask them for the tracking number. As a policy, geocaching.com does not give out the tracking number to users who request it. The Travel Bug owner can ultimately decide whether to give it to you.

AND FROM THE Groundspeak KNOWLEDGE BOOKS:

2.1. Two code numbers for each Trackable

There are 2 codes for each Trackable.

Reference Code this code, beginning with TBXXXX, is visible for everyone who visits the Trackable page. It is a unique reference number for each item. It can be used to log a note to the Trackable. It will be shown after the activation process.

Tracking Code this code is stamped or engraved on the Trackable. This is the tracking code necessary to log an action on a Trackable, and is meant to be seen only by people who actually have the item in their hands. Please do not show this number in your uploaded photos or in your online notes.

Here is a handy link to that page. Groundsepeak Knowledge Book If you have a trackable that is being virtually logged to much, perhaps the number was on someone's list being passd out at events, you can think about adding this link to the description, and people will understand why you deleted their bogus log.. It might help to get theword out.

Got a response today from Sara at Groundspeak regarding guidelines on virtual discoveries..

"You are correct, we do not have strict guidelines against virtual discoveries, however if the owner knows the log is bogus they are more than welcome to remove it.

Please also keep in mind that some people do not understand that they are doing something wrong. Sometimes a quick friendly note about how to geocache is all that is needed."

A set of strict Guidelines would make education a lot simpler.

Threat of being banned for breaking, repeatedly, the strict Guidelines would be then be possible.

It seems ludicrous to wield a stick and lock a trackable's page when the owner has done nothing wrong, but that the cheats and liars can get away with nothing more than having their bogus logs removed.

B.

Got a response today from Sara at Groundspeak regarding guidelines on virtual discoveries..

"You are correct, we do not have strict guidelines against virtual discoveries, however if the owner knows the log is bogus they are more than welcome to remove it.

Please also keep in mind that some people do not understand that they are doing something wrong. Sometimes a quick friendly note about how to geocache is all that is needed."

A set of strict Guidelines would make education a lot simpler.

Threat of being banned for breaking, repeatedly, the strict Guidelines would be then be possible.

It seems ludicrous to wield a stick and lock a trackable's page when the owner has done nothing wrong, but that the cheats and liars can get away with nothing more than having their bogus logs removed.

B.

+1 - it seems crazy that the owner is penalized when they've (usually) done nothing wrong, and the perpetrator gets nothing (that we know of). This guy is going even worse than that with activating geocoins that were not his to activate. I would have expected his account suspended at the very least, and more likely he is permanently kicked from geocaching.com

If there are no guidelines then why can trackables get locked when they are logged virtually?

That's what I was looking for in my scan of the guidelines.... no mention of trackables being locked anymore. My feeling is that punishing the owner for the actions of cachers was not sustainable. Now if cachers want to play around it's up to the owners to delete their efforts if they feel so inclined.

Here is a handy link to that page. Groundsepeak Knowledge Book If you have a trackable that is being virtually logged to much, perhaps the number was on someone's list being passd out at events, you can think about adding this link to the description, and people will understand why you deleted their bogus log.. It might help to get theword out.

That is about the same rule Max & 99 had found back in post #21 and my feeling is that it's no more rule than a request for the good manners in trading fairly. Don't get me wrong I love good manners, especially at the dinner table, but I'm also finding how irrelevant they have become.

Now admittedly what is the harm in virtual logs? None, if the owner is no longer penalized. It's just a nuisance when the logger gets pissed about the deletion.

Thanks Eartha for jumping into the fray and giving us another final say in the matter.