Hardware Needed

Guest tak1

Guest Ron Streeter

Bite the bullet guys. You will get tremendous benefits and it will last you as long as your gps does.

As for the rest of this post, I'm sure you know about these features, but for those readers who don't....

The ability to download the current version from Magellan is worth the $40 or so. I have downloaded two upgrades in the last couple of months.

The latest upgrade has the .03,.02,.01 mileage reading converted to FEET, so now when you are within .01 miles it will read 527 feet. Neat to see it count down to 50, 40, 32, 16 feet !

Also of course you can upload from your gps to mapping programs and vice versa.

For $40 it is a bargain and that price includes the 12 volt car capability.

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 14 May 2001).]

Guest cache_ninja

wow, didnt know about the feet thing, that _is_ pretty cool. maybe i'll get it. budget is tight though, 40$ is like, i dunno, 13 meals or more and i dont really _need_ the thing for any reason. heh. while we are posting relevant info, don't forget to upload waypoints to pc before upgrading right? i think i read somewhere on here people have had waypoints wiped out after the upgrade...

c/n

Guest MadGPS

Yes c/n,that is correct.!!you have to save your waypoints,from GPS to your PC.I just tried that little program that topografix has invited us to download and use.Not bad at all.It's user friendly.It tells you if your port is clear to be use.Its fast to download & upload.Thumbs up !! icon_wink.gifAnd yes a cable is expensive,but well worth it,cause my first cable was home made from a 9 pin serial cable from an old mouse I had laying around.Bad contact is a GPS worst nigthmare.Bad upload or no proper update from the Magellan site,all util I got myself a real McCoy off a cables.No more problem.When there's an update to my GPS315 it's a breeze to update.And than to manipulate your GPS waypoints and to name them,well you don't have to go through A,B,C,D to name them.Use your PC keyboard.It'll save your master button on your GPS.The way I use this know,I've got three set of waypoints(exemple).One to go fishing,one to go camping out in the bush and one for geocaching.This way here,you can have a thousand waypoints in all,but you only use the poi that you need for certain trips and not overload your GPS in poi.This is were a cable and program come in handy to manipulate those poi.Also got the cable for the Jeep.That alone will make for the batteries that you save.Don't get me wrong here,but Magellan should me give somthing for saying this,but it has been a good product to me and the tech people at Magellan have treated me OK.Anyway here's my 2 cents on the subject.

Guest MadGPS

Yes c/n,that is correct.!!you have to save your waypoints,from GPS to your PC.I just tried that little program that topografix has invited us to download and use.Not bad at all.It's user friendly.It tells you if your port is clear to be use.Its fast to download & upload.Thumbs up !! icon_wink.gifAnd yes a cable is expensive,but well worth it,cause my first cable was home made from a 9 pin serial cable from an old mouse I had laying around.Bad contact is a GPS worst nigthmare.Bad upload or no proper update from the Magellan site,all util I got myself a real McCoy off a cables.No more problem.When there's an update to my GPS315 it's a breeze to update.And than to manipulate your GPS waypoints and to name them,well you don't have to go through A,B,C,D to name them.Use your PC keyboard.It'll save your master button on your GPS.The way I use this know,I've got three set of waypoints(exemple).One to go fishing,one to go camping out in the bush and one for geocaching.This way here,you can have a thousand waypoints in all,but you only use the poi that you need for certain trips and not overload your GPS in poi.This is were a cable and program come in handy to manipulate those poi.Also got the cable for the Jeep.That alone will make for the batteries that you save.Don't get me wrong here,but Magellan should me give somthing for saying this,but it has been a good product to me and the tech people at Magellan have treated me OK.Anyway here's my 2 cents on the subject.