TFTC

Well, I would rather get a 'TFTC' then this rude comment that was on one of my caches today;

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e67e1712-68b0-4e02-80ca-3528a05439e5

Wow just wow....He even seems to be blaming you for the missing tb...also if he knew the cache was at the zoo and didn't want to go why hunt it?.

If its clearly marked on the cache page that a fee must be paid to enter the zoo, etc, then that's fine. At least cachers are forwarned.

Again, its not like he had a gun to his head to go find it.

Quite probably...(well actually most certainly) my longest most descriptive logs have been for the most pointless caches I have found.

The catch is that those logs had nothing to do with the cache, the experience, how much I really didn't enjoy the cache, or how much I wondered WHY someone would put a cache there in the first place.

If I really (or even just moderately) enjoyed the cache I will make an effort to write at least a line or two about it.

If it's an unremarkable cache, I will cut-and-paste 'Found, log signed. Thanks for the [:)]!' (Actually this line goes into all my logs.)

If it's a real stinker, I'll cut-and-paste the thank-you line...and two or three paragraphs from a classic novel...like Moby Dick.

Well, I would rather get a 'TFTC' then this rude comment that was on one of my caches today;

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e67e1712-68b0-4e02-80ca-3528a05439e5

Wow just wow....He even seems to be blaming you for the missing tb...also if he knew the cache was at the zoo and didn't want to go why hunt it?.

If its clearly marked on the cache page that a fee must be paid to enter the zoo, etc, then that's fine. At least cachers are forwarned.

There is a Entrance Fee to the Zoo, but there are caches on the Zoo Ground. I clearly state in my Cache description that the cache IS NOT on the Zoo Grounds, so a bit surprised by the rude log that's for sure.

There is a Entrance Fee to the Zoo, but there are caches on the Zoo Ground. I clearly state in my Cache description that the cache IS NOT on the Zoo Grounds, so a bit surprised by the rude log that's for sure.

There are some people who would complain if they pooped gold.

I take a notebook with me and write notes as we cache. Sometimes, there's a story that goes along with the most ordinary cache. Sometimes a cache that's out of the ordinary doesn't spark anything more than "looked for a half hour before we came up with it." I try as hard as I can to make the logs interesting.

Other times, I'm hesitant to post a story. I once got chided for revealing too much in a log. The cache was hidden in a stump and the funny thing was that the whole time we were looking for about a half hour all over the place for the cache, my son was standing on it. My feeling is if you don't want to know, then don't read the logs. If you're reading the logs, you're looking for hints and stuff. Is the log for the cache owner to let him know how much fun you had getting the cache or for others?

Patti

Is the log for the cache owner to let him know how much fun you had getting the cache or for others?

I feel that the log is for finders (past, present and future), the CO and for ourselves. I see it as a journal entry of sorts. Something to remember the cache experience. I also see it as a service to other finders and finally a way to inform COs and to acknowledge their efforts.

The "Personal Cache Note" box is a great place to put my help-me-remember notes about what the cache looked like (black spray camo'd small fake lock n lock) and how it was hidden (hanging from wire in a spruce tree) and what swag I left in the cache (personalized red key i.d. ring). Things I want to remember but may be too informative or boring in the online log.

Edited by L0ne R

>Well, I would rather get a 'TFTC' then this rude comment that was on one of my caches today;

> http://www.geocachin...ca-3528a05439e5

thanks for the tip :-)

I just had alot of fun solving your puzzle, nice I loved it,

I am so sorry I can not give you a FP since I live to far away 8000 km,

to go find the actual cache and sign its log book.

hey any one rich out there who will give a me a plane ticket to oregon ?

oh funny a few of your other logs deserve a place in the not find it = find it section,

they even say it lound and clear in their online logs, they did not sign your log book..

Smartphones are only as smart as the operator. Handy, yes. Good for the game, not so much.

I'm sure that half the time smart phone loggers plan to edit the log later to embellish, but mostly it never happens, because other stuff gets in the way.

I logged a DPM once by mentioning the some fried clams sounded good for aprés caching. I always try to find something to say about a cache.

I would probably delete a "." log though. I wouldn't consider that a found log at all. I have never gotten a simple ".", but I have gotten TFTC logs and copy and paste logs on caches that are all in one park. Boring!

My thanks for the cache are genuine appreciation for the effort someone has made in placing a cache. It doesn't say if I liked it or didn't like it. Ok I'm probably not the target for this resentment of TFTC as I tend to having something in the log though this will annoy many I'm sure, the bulk of the something else is likely to be copy and paste from the day in general.

As a cache owner I do really appreciate reading some good logs and there is often a little disappointment when there's not much content, however I'm happy that the cache has been found and hopefully the finder is happy they found it even it they were just increasing their find count.

Cachers will develop over time and while some will now always use TFTC, others may find that once they’ve gone to the effort of placing their cache that it’s nice to receive and therefore write more substantial logs.

I’m probably more upset with a very good friend whom I got into caching; he doesn’t log his finds at all. To me even a blank log lets you know it’s been found. However I know the enjoyment he gets is more about the hunt than the find count.

Smartphones are only as smart as the operator. Handy, yes. Good for the game, not so much.

Speaking of smartphones, every one that I know of either has a voice recorder or has recorder apps available. Makes it real easy to remember the details of a cache. Record your thoughts as you are heading to the next cache. I use a dedicated digital recorder to do the same thing. It also makes a great way to remember where you dropped that travel bug or geocoin!

I take a notebook with me and write notes as we cache. Sometimes, there's a story that goes along with the most ordinary cache. Sometimes a cache that's out of the ordinary doesn't spark anything more than "looked for a half hour before we came up with it." I try as hard as I can to make the logs interesting.

Other times, I'm hesitant to post a story. I once got chided for revealing too much in a log. The cache was hidden in a stump and the funny thing was that the whole time we were looking for about a half hour all over the place for the cache, my son was standing on it. My feeling is if you don't want to know, then don't read the logs. If you're reading the logs, you're looking for hints and stuff. Is the log for the cache owner to let him know how much fun you had getting the cache or for others?

Patti

IMHO, the log is for the CO (to let them know about the experience you had and as a way to provide information about the current status of the status), for others (for the same reasons), and for yourself. However, the reason you may have been chided might be because it's not your place to provide hints or provide other information about the cache that the CO has not revealed. When someone places a cache, they may intentionally withhold information about how it's hidden because their goal may be to place a cache that presents a challenge for those that try to find it, and they can rate the cache accordingly by giving it a higher Difficulty rating. If someone writes something in their log which reduces the difficulty they've effectively defeated the purpose of the hide.

I would probably delete a "." log though.

If they had signed the cache's physical log, would you still delete the "." online "Found it" log?

I would request that they embellish their log, or don't bother logging my cache at all. It hasn't happened yet.

If they had signed the cache's physical log, would you still delete the "." online "Found it" log?

I would request that they embellish their log, or don't bother logging my cache at all. It hasn't happened yet.

I think deleting a log is wrong simply because you dislike their log, there isn't a rule or guideline saying you have too write anything, it says you can share your experiences and thoughts. I think a follow up email asking the cacher why they only wrote "." or "tftc" would be better, it could have been a mistake or they could have REALLY disliked it and thought writing nothing was better then saying something.

I think deleting a log is wrong simply because you dislike their log, there isn't a rule or guideline saying you have too write anything, it says you can share your experiences and thoughts.

Indeed, the guidelines specifically note that once the physical log has been signed, the geocacher is allowed to log an online "Found it." If their log is deleted and they appeal the deletion, then Groundspeak almost certainly would uphold their right to log a "." for their find.

Physical caches can be logged online as "Found" once the physical log has been signed.