TFTC

Ha! Don't let me post after too many glasses of wine...

That's literally my biggest problem! I tell my hubs.."don't let me post online after I've had wine!" that being said.....

:unsure:

(Yes, I spend my free time when I can't cache reading logs. Seriously.)

me too!!! I'm a big fat log reader!! All of them!

(Yes, I spend my free time when I can't cache reading logs. Seriously.)

me too!!! I'm a big fat log reader!! All of them!

I find them very interesting... there's always a story involved, somewhere. The ones I like best are either theoretically ones we could find (within 100 miles?) or ones that are recommended here in the forums. :) It's almost as good as getting out caching for me!

Ha! Don't let me post after too many glasses of wine...

Thats a rule I set for myself, I dont drink and post logs. I feel those two never goes together.

I am way too nice when I am drinking and will say really stupid things. :blink:

I know!! And I always follow the rules I set for myself :unsure: :unsure:

Smartphone logs are probably the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache, so they are giving their accurate feelings on it...

Really? I doubt that my memory is better than average but when I go out caching for the day I can remember each cache that I found and something about the experience that I had. If I know that I might find more than a handful caches during the day, I bring a notebook (not the electronic kind of notebook) to jot down the cache name and a short note that will help me remember something that I might want to mention in the online log. Then when I get home I will write at least a sentence or two for every cache I've found.

If you get meh, tftc, or .... Maybe thats a sign you need to work on your hides a bit better, as previously mentioned I use my smart phone a majority of the time and I can and do write paragraph or email the cache owner if their hide deserves it. The times I use my gps I sometimes forgot which cache was which, or time passed and I couldn't recall the cache properly so I put a generic term or phrase down.

Please stop justifying writing tftc or using cut-n-paste logs by blaming cache owners. In my experience, when I've just received a TFTC or cut-n-paste log on one or more of my caches, I've looked at other logs posted by that person and in every case, that's what they did for every cache they found that day. The quality of the caches they've found doesn't seem to make any difference in how they log it. Those that tend to write TFTC or cut-n-paste logs write them for all their finds. Those that tend to write more verbose logs write them for all their finds. Yes, there are some caches which don't deserve a long, detailed log (so why bother finding them?) but that doesn't justify just writing TFTC on every cache one finds, and in my experience, that's exactly what happens.

I also don't buy the "if I found NN caches in a day I can't remember them all" as a justification for just writing down TFTC or a cut-n-paste on every log. Nobody is forcing you to try and find dozens or hundreds caches in a day. What that tells me is that it's more important for you to raise your find count by a large amount than properly thank those that are placing caches for you to find. In a game that depends on others in the caching community freely volunteering their time (and expense) for it to exist, it seems really selfish not to thank those that are allowing you to enjoy the game. If that means that you find fewer caches in a day so that you can remember the experience, then find fewer caches. Don't try to justify writing short logs to those that *do* put in extra effort to create a quality hide because *you* feel the need to find as many caches as possible.

You know what? I'm going to sit this one out. I will, however, summarize my feelings by posting the pic that is in my profile right now. It's caption is "Not exactly a fan of lame smartphone logs". :ph34r:

fc9ba560-1d6a-4d5b-a744-5167612042a0.jpg

Smartphone logs are probably the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache, so they are giving their accurate feelings on it...If you get meh, tftc, or .... Maybe thats a sign you need to work on your hides a bit better, as previously mentioned I use my smart phone a majority of the time and I can and do write paragraph or email the cache owner if their hide deserves it. The times I use my gps I sometimes forgot which cache was which, or time passed and I couldn't recall the cache properly so I put a generic term or phrase down.

If I may: Smartphone logs are probably have the potential to be the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache. More often than not, cache logs worked up on the spot like that are about as quick n' dirty as possible, though. Most people need a chair and a real keyboard to do quality logging.

And please trust me... you can get plenty of TFTC logs on well thought-out, quality caches. That is not by any stretch a sure sign that you need to work on your hides, although I'm sure you're right that it can be. More often, its a sign of the quality of the cacher more than the cache.

To me leaving a note on the log is sorta like tipping at a restaurant, a tip is earned and shouldn't be an expectation of the waiter...I have given a $5 buck tip on a 15 dollar meal and a dollar on a $50...

Sorry, Dan, but the cache owner earned the "tip" by putting out and maintaining that cache that you found for free.

To me leaving a note on the log is sorta like tipping at a restaurant, a tip is earned and shouldn't be an expectation of the waiter...I have given a $5 buck tip on a 15 dollar meal and a dollar on a $50...

Sorry, Dan, but the cache owner earned the "tip" by putting out and maintaining that cache that you found for free.

Yeah his tip for a average or common cache is tftc....A tip for a great cache is "Wow this blew me away, yada yada yada........"

You know what? I'm going to sit this one out. I will, however, summarize my feelings by posting the pic that is in my profile right now. It's caption is "Not exactly a fan of lame smartphone logs". :ph34r:

fc9ba560-1d6a-4d5b-a744-5167612042a0.jpg

Smartphone logs are probably the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache, so they are giving their accurate feelings on it...If you get meh, tftc, or .... Maybe thats a sign you need to work on your hides a bit better, as previously mentioned I use my smart phone a majority of the time and I can and do write paragraph or email the cache owner if their hide deserves it. The times I use my gps I sometimes forgot which cache was which, or time passed and I couldn't recall the cache properly so I put a generic term or phrase down.

If I may: Smartphone logs are probably have the potential to be the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache. More often than not, cache logs worked up on the spot like that are about as quick n' dirty as possible, though. Most people need a chair and a real keyboard to do quality logging.

And please trust me... you can get plenty of TFTC logs on well thought-out, quality caches. That is not by any stretch a sure sign that you need to work on your hides, although I'm sure you're right that it can be. More often, its a sign of the quality of the cacher more than the cache.

Most people need a actual keyboard? I would say this is true for people over 35, most people under that age are pretty familiar with texting capabilities on a phone...People under 20 can text as fast as they actually speak....We can agree to disagree, I personally think for some crazy reason people are snobs when it comes too smart phones vs Gps.....I call those people stupid...

If the cache is deemed worthy, I will write a small blurb stating so.

If its REALLY good/unique and takes me and the party to a new and unique location, you'll get a fave point.

If its your typical run of the mill cache, you're getting a "thanks for the cache".

I'm not logging the cache to tell a story and win a Pulitzer. I'm logging it to satisfy the account's requirement so that it will keep a TRUE and HONEST tally of the caches I have actually found. If something truely astonding happens while looking for it, I may put that in there too.

We all have our reasons for writing what we do. I'm not offended by TFTC. For all I know my cache could have been 1 of 200 that particular cacher had found that day and they may have deemed that cache as medicore at best.

Now, what would REALLY be beneficial would be the flip side of what you are asking: To actually be able to type what you REALLY thought of the cache. Not the politically correct, please coddle me stuff we HAVE to write like " not our favorite type of find" or what have you but what you really thought of the cache.

Would certainly weed out the "really below my expectations" type of cahces out there. :rolleyes:

Smartphone logs are probably the best most accurate logs you can get because often people are doing them just moments after finding the cache, so they are giving their accurate feelings on it...

Really? I doubt that my memory is better than average but when I go out caching for the day I can remember each cache that I found and something about the experience that I had. If I know that I might find more than a handful caches during the day, I bring a notebook (not the electronic kind of notebook) to jot down the cache name and a short note that will help me remember something that I might want to mention in the online log. Then when I get home I will write at least a sentence or two for every cache I've found.

If you get meh, tftc, or .... Maybe thats a sign you need to work on your hides a bit better, as previously mentioned I use my smart phone a majority of the time and I can and do write paragraph or email the cache owner if their hide deserves it. The times I use my gps I sometimes forgot which cache was which, or time passed and I couldn't recall the cache properly so I put a generic term or phrase down.

Please stop justifying writing tftc or using cut-n-paste logs by blaming cache owners. In my experience, when I've just received a TFTC or cut-n-paste log on one or more of my caches, I've looked at other logs posted by that person and in every case, that's what they did for every cache they found that day. The quality of the caches they've found doesn't seem to make any difference in how they log it. Those that tend to write TFTC or cut-n-paste logs write them for all their finds. Those that tend to write more verbose logs write them for all their finds. Yes, there are some caches which don't deserve a long, detailed log (so why bother finding them?) but that doesn't justify just writing TFTC on every cache one finds, and in my experience, that's exactly what happens.

I also don't buy the "if I found NN caches in a day I can't remember them all" as a justification for just writing down TFTC or a cut-n-paste on every log. Nobody is forcing you to try and find dozens or hundreds caches in a day. What that tells me is that it's more important for you to raise your find count by a large amount than properly thank those that are placing caches for you to find. In a game that depends on others in the caching community freely volunteering their time (and expense) for it to exist, it seems really selfish not to thank those that are allowing you to enjoy the game. If that means that you find fewer caches in a day so that you can remember the experience, then find fewer caches. Don't try to justify writing short logs to those that *do* put in extra effort to create a quality hide because *you* feel the need to find as many caches as possible.

It seems I have upset you, sorry...First if you are needing a notebook to capture your thoughts and feelings on a cache, you are adding an extra step a smart phone could prevent if you are able to sit down with pen to paper out at a cache you would have saved time logging it on a smart phone texting the same thing...If you are saying you can cache a small handful and can go home and remember better or just as accurately as the people logging the cache using a smart phone, thats simply a lie...

Lame caches and lazy cachers are both to blame...To be honest I write only a couple sentences on great caches enough to let the next guy know its worth there time...If its really great people should shoot the c/o an email thanking them for the cache out of 70 something finds I have sent 5 thank you emails... Now if I were to guess which is more common ordinary caches or lazy cachers, I say 60/40... A side note after I wrote one cacher an email telling them how much fun I had, they added additional caches to their series..

The problem is a cache owner could put time, effort, thought, money into his cache and it could still be average to the cacher...simply because each cacher looks for something different in a cache. One person wants a cool container, another a cool hiding spot, yet another a blank log book....then there are even sub categories in those areas that persons likes cool containers but they have to be larges, another person thinks a cool container means an awesome micro...You and I could go after the same find with all the same conditions I find it awesome you could find it lame...TFTC could come from personal bias...

I forget who posted it previously but they say when they see TFTC...they are happy someone cared enough to go hunting for their cache at all... For those I am hiding most people will have to go a bit out of their ways to get them so I will be grateful for the effort they put out and accept and be grateful for a TFTC even if I think it deserves more...

If its REALLY good/unique and takes me and the party to a new and unique location, you'll get a fave point.

If its your typical run of the mill cache, you're getting a "thanks for the cache".

I'm not logging the cache to tell a story and win a Pulitzer. I'm logging it to satisfy the account's requirement so that it will keep a TRUE and HONEST tally of the caches I have actually found. If something truely astonding happens while looking for it, I may put that in there too.

We all have our reasons for writing what we do. I'm not offended by TFTC. For all I know my cache could have been 1 of 200 that particular cacher had found that day and they may have deemed that cache as medicore at best.

Now, what would REALLY be beneficial would be the flip side of what you are asking: To actually be able to type what you REALLY thought of the cache. Not the politically correct, please coddle me stuff we HAVE to write like " not our favorite type of find" or what have you but what you really thought of the cache.

Would certainly weed out the "really below my expectations" type of cahces out there. :rolleyes:

+1

Yeah his tip for a average or common cache is tftc....A tip for a great cache is "Wow this blew me away, yada yada yada........"

That's not the tip. That's the minimum payment.

Most people need a actual keyboard? I would say this is true for people over 35, most people under that age are pretty familiar with texting capabilities on a phone...People under 20 can text as fast as they actually speak....We can agree to disagree, I personally think for some crazy reason people are snobs when it comes too smart phones vs Gps.....I call those people stupid...

First, how many under-20 geocachers do YOU know? I know very few under 40. And those 20-unders that you speak of... yes, they can probably text at thought speed, but only because they use shorthand and symbols. Like TFTC*.

*TFTC goes way back. It isn't a new thing. But it was generally used to end a sentence or two. Kind of like "kthxbye" might be used by texters.

I'm guessing that you don't realize how entitled that sounds. Surely you didn't really mean it that way, but it sounds as though you expect caches to be put out for you. Remember, even a "lame" cache took somebody some time to do so you can find it, even if very little.

And, gee... who ever asked for a Pulitzer winning story, by the way? That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?

First if you are needing a notebook to capture your thoughts and feelings on a cache, you are adding an extra step a smart phone could prevent if you are able to sit down with pen to paper out at a cache you would have saved time logging it on a smart phone texting the same thing...If you are saying you can cache a small handful and can go home and remember better or just as accurately as the people logging the cache using a smart phone, thats simply a lie...

You're kidding me, right? :huh:

Most people need an actual keyboard? I would say this is true for people over 35, most people under that age are pretty familiar with texting capabilities on a phone...People under 20 can text as fast as they actually speak....We can agree to disagree, I personally think for some crazy reason people are snobs when it comes toosmart phones vs Gps.....I call those people stupid...

totally. I'm 37 and I can't even figure out those darn new-fangled cd players. it took me an hour to figure out how to find these forums, and another hour and a half to just type this paragraph. someone told me that i can actually use my iphone as an alarm clock too? I just feel wicked dumb.

👎

First if you are needing a notebook to capture your thoughts and feelings on a cache, you are adding an extra step a smart phone could prevent if you are able to sit down with pen to paper out at a cache you would have saved time logging it on a smart phone texting the same thing...If you are saying you can cache a small handful and can go home and remember better or just as accurately as the people logging the cache using a smart phone, thats simply a lie...

So you are saying you can get 5 caches lets say on a cache trail, meaning at the min, 5 min apart so 25 min...then drive home lets say another 20 min...thats over 40 min from your first find...You memory is better then someone logging at the cache? I highly doubt it, thats why witness at a crime scene varies they forget and are unreliable....People blaming cell phone cachers for lazy logs is ridiculous. I am well under 40, but beyond 20.... Most people I have met are under 40 most are actually at 30 or below...Most of those do use smart phones.

I'm guessing that you don't realize how entitled that sounds. Surely you didn't really mean it that way, but it sounds as though you expect caches to be put out for you. Remember, even a "lame" cache took somebody some time to do so you can find it, even if very little.

And, gee... who ever asked for a Pulitzer winning story, by the way? That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it?

What is wrong with having an expectation for a cache? Besides a guardrail or lamppost (which are for the numbers imo) I expect a decent cache, I do not think its right to be plain rude to a person and say their cache sucks but, a little constructive criticism should be valid...I think saying tftc is being a little nice when you come across a cheap and easily broken piece of tupperware when the first season change comes along..First I don't think it took too much effort nor thought by the hider (or least i hope not) by placing those types of caches so saying tftc is being polite...Going on about how great the weather is that day only to jazz up the log find is utter garbage. People should call them like they see them and be honest with cache finds. "Jazzing or Padding" your logs is like Giving out participation trophies to every loser which only breeds laziness and kills the drive to do better...I mean why create a really cool cache when you get so great of feedback with that duct taped tupperware number you left in a ditch on that road that could be mistaken for any place....

Not expecting good or better caches is why there is a saturation of lame caches that barely earn tftc....Most good cachers follow the rule of trade up when it comes to swag, the same rule should be applied to hides...If you have seen a hide and cannot beat it or at the very least match it, maybe you shouldn't create that cache.

What is wrong with having an expectation for a cache? Besides a guardrail or lamppost (which are for the numbers imo) I expect a decent cache, I do not think its right to be plain rude to a person and say their cache sucks but, a little constructive criticism should be valid...I think saying tftc is being a little nice when you come across a cheap and easily broken piece of tupperware when the first season change comes along..First I don't think it took too much effort nor thought by the hider (or least i hope not) by placing those types of caches so saying tftc is being polite...Going on about how great the weather is that day only to jazz up the log find is utter garbage. People should call them like they see them and be honest with cache finds. "Jazzing or Padding" your logs is like Giving out participation trophies to every loser which only breeds laziness and kills the drive to do better...I mean why create a really cool cache when you get so great of feedback with that duct taped tupperware number you left in a ditch on that road that could be mistaken for any place....

Not expecting good or better caches is why there is a saturation of lame caches that barely earn tftc....Most good cachers follow the rule of trade up when it comes to swag, the same rule should be applied to hides...If you have seen a hide and cannot beat it or at the very least match it, maybe you shouldn't create that cache.

+1

I expect good caches to outnumber the "I made this in the car as I was driving by and tossed it out the window and took note of the coords" that seem to litter the map around here. Not to mention the "epidemic" of "I hid a cache here because there was nothing within 166 meters of this spot" type caches.

I think if someone is complaining about tftc logs they ARE expecting Pulitzer material, or a pat on the back for said cache. Time to rethink WHY you hid that cache: for praise or to give people a good location/a good caching experience/a special place to share.

If it IS a good cache, people WILL post more then tftc.

Why can't you?

I expect good caches to outnumber the "I made this in the car as I was driving by and tossed it out the window and took note of the coords" that seem to litter the map around here. Not to mention the "epidemic" of "I hid a cache here because there was nothing within 166 meters of this spot" type caches.

I think if someone is complaining about tftc logs they ARE expecting Pulitzer material, or a pat on the back for said cache. Time to rethink WHY you hid that cache: for praise or to give people a good location/a good caching experience/a special place to share.

It's easy to say you want good caches. Everyone wants good caches to find. Yet if I go out and hide a film can at the bottom of a stop sign tomorrow morning, it'll be found within 30 minutes of being published. I can almost guarantee it. And there will be a race to be that FTF. On a film can hidden at the bottom of a stop sign. Yes, that cache will probably only get TFTC logs, but I don't see alot of cachers turning up their noses and seeking out something better.

So, on the one hand we have all kinds of bellyaching about how there is nothing but crappy caches being hidden and on the other, caches just can't imagine ignoring those crappy caches. As a CO, would you continue to hide caches that noone looked for? And if they're being looked for, they must be the kind of caches that people want to find, right? Why not litter the trail with them? As lame as alot of these caches have become, they're still found by lots and lots of cachers who are all too happy to log the find and move on to the next cache 528' away.

I have actually seen cache pages with a TFTC warning !!

all logs with just TFTC will be deleted with no warning !!

Ditto, but isn't that against the legendary guidelines - "additional logging requirements" :lol:

For me:

- very poor cache, i.e. film canister chucked under a tree / lamppost / otherwise cheap container in a dire location - "it is there"

- normal cache - probably a sentence or two, tftc if I'm doing a series with a long log at the start.

- good cache / location - paragraphs / photos / favourite points!

I suppose that the effort I go into writing logs depends upon the effort that I believe the cache placer has taken to 1) leave a decent/interesting container and 2) find a good location for it.

Also I don't buy the Smartphone logging argument. I use a smartphone to keep a record of which one's I've found on the day, and upload these as field notes. I then have the choice of whether you want to leave a decent log or something brief before they go onto the website.

It seems I have upset you, sorry...

No, I'm not upset about your post. To assert that my post is an emotional response to what you wrote diminishes what I've written so let's nip that in the bud, okay.

Note that I didn't claim that I could remember the experience more accurately than if I logged it with a cell phone. What I wrote is that if I find, say 10 caches in a day, I can remember them well enough to write a few unique sentences about each of them, and that carrying a notepad and a pen to jot down a note or two is all it takes to add a little more detail. I'm not convinced that those that use a smart phone to log a cache in the field, do so because it's more accurate. I suspect most do it because it's more efficient. The less time they spend logging caches the more time they have to find more caches. I have a smart phone, but don't feel the need to use it for everything, and before you go there, I don't have an aversion with technology. I've been working with technology for 37 years, going back to when I was testing video games for Atari in 1975. Frankly, I don't care if someone uses a smartphone to log caches or not. It's not about the technology used, it's about what one does with the technology we choose to use to play the game.

The problem is a cache owner could put time, effort, thought, money into his cache and it could still be average to the cacher...simply because each cacher looks for something different in a cache. One person wants a cool container, another a cool hiding spot, yet another a blank log book....then there are even sub categories in those areas that persons likes cool containers but they have to be larges, another person thinks a cool container means an awesome micro...You and I could go after the same find with all the same conditions I find it awesome you could find it lame...TFTC could come from personal bias...

I agree that not every cache is going is going to be the type that every cache wants to find. That doesn't explain my observation that when I see just a TFTC or a cut-n-paste log on a cache and look at their profile to see other caches that person has logged, I find that they log *all* their finds in a similar manner. It doesn't matter if it's a LPC, cache on a guard rail, or a unique container, hidden in a unique manner, at a great location. Based on what I've seen, those that only write TFTC (or less) or use cut-n-paste logs, do so on every cache. It has nothing to do with personal bias for a certain cache type.

I forget who posted it previously but they say when they see TFTC...they are happy someone cared enough to go hunting for their cache at all... For those I am hiding most people will have to go a bit out of their ways to get them so I will be grateful for the effort they put out and accept and be grateful for a TFTC even if I think it deserves more...

Just as there are cachers that prefer to find different types of caches, not all cache owners are the same. Perhaps that person that wrote that when they see TFTC...they are happy that someone cared enough to find it, because they're only placing caches for others to find. My goal when placing caches is to create something that other caches will remember.

Why can't you?

It's easy to say you want good caches. Everyone wants good caches to find. Yet if I go out and hide a film can at the bottom of a stop sign tomorrow morning, it'll be found within 30 minutes of being published. I can almost guarantee it. And there will be a race to be that FTF. On a film can hidden at the bottom of a stop sign. Yes, that cache will probably only get TFTC logs, but I don't see alot of cachers turning up their noses and seeking out something better.

So, on the one hand we have all kinds of bellyaching about how there is nothing but crappy caches being hidden and on the other, caches just can't imagine ignoring those crappy caches. As a CO, would you continue to hide caches that noone looked for? And if they're being looked for, they must be the kind of caches that people want to find, right? Why not litter the trail with them? As lame as alot of these caches have become, they're still found by lots and lots of cachers who are all too happy to log the find and move on to the next cache 528' away.

The whole point of this topic is someone being annoyed with TFTC logs online.

A filmcan sitting at the base of a stop sign will DEFINATELY get a tftc, ftf or not its still (in my opinion)a garbage cache.

Yes , if its NOT at a major intersection, right in front of someone's yard with the yappy dog, or infront of a window belonging to some business establishment I'll go for it for the number, otherwise, I'll ignore it. There are so many other caches out there that a person CAN be choosy.

As for belly aching, yes, everyone should belly ache for better caches. :lol: I have recently archived alot of my noob hides (you know the type: they see a gap in the map and just HAVE to place one there just "because") and all my mediocre hides as well. Personally, nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment on a tough to get to, or puzzle cache or a nasty night multi with 100 stages. :rolleyes: . For me, personally, its for the numbers, BUT I do enjoy a well thought out, well constructed cache. I walk away thinking "wow! that was really well done! " and they will not get a tftc log. They WILL get a fave point too. As a CO, after seeing alot of tftc logs its a pretty good indication that its a doorstop.

actually a few of my caches are VERY well done, and normally gets alot of favorite point and alot of good and special logs, I love those few caches I made with extra efford and so do the visitors,

some logs even say this is the best cache they ever found, and those people found 1000-2000 caches or more..

even those special caches, get some times a TFTC log :-)

I dont cry about it, some people are just a TFTC person, just let them, and live happy..

Can anyone tell me when the geocaching apps came on the market? I want to check our oldest active cache (planted 2002) to see if the acronym-only logs coincide with the introduction of the phone apps.

I've already done that in another thread, actually. This is a rather ordinary regular sized hiking cache in the woods, placed in 2006. http://coord.info/GCZ2DQ The first log that consists of TFTC, only TFTC, and nothing but TFTC, appears in May, 2010. I count no less than 17 lame smartphone logs since then. And I define this as two words or less. Often less, like emoticon's, puncuation, blank logs, etc. For example, there's a guy in my area (who has acutally hidden a couple caches) who has logged almost all 120 or so of his finds with "Found it". Not even a thanks, eh? TFTC is better than that. On top of that, prior to 2010, "Found it" was the ultimate "your cache sucks" log, and considred highly insulting.

Still think I'm stupid, Dan2099? That's quite the forum guideline violation, by the way. Don't worry, I won't report you. :lol:

To answer LoneR's question, I definitely remember the first time I ever commented on the mass influx of TFTC logs; I wss on my to a "10 years" event, which of course all occured in early May 2010. The one cache I found had 3 consecutive TFTC logs from 3 different then n00bs on 3 different dates. I made a "what's up with that?" sort of comment. This was certinaly no parking lot turd that "deserves" TFTC. As a matter of fact, I don't even find those. That being said, lame logs were new, but starting to happen, and had come to my attention. I'm going to guess then the Iphone app came out in late 2009.

EDIT: P.S. Read my lips; no new taxes. I said I was going to sit this one out in like post #5. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Can anyone tell me when the geocaching apps came on the market? I want to check our oldest active cache (planted 2002) to see if the acronym-only logs coincide with the introduction of the phone apps.

I've already done that in another thread, actually. This is a rather ordinary regular sized hiking cache in the woods, placed in 2006. http://coord.info/GCZ2DQ The first log that consists of TFTC, only TFTC, and nothing but TFTC, appears in May, 2010. I count no less than 17 lame smartphone logs since then. And I define this as two words or less. Often less, like emoticon's, puncuation, blank logs, etc. For example, there's a guy in my area (who has acutally hidden a couple caches) who has logged almost all 120 or so of his finds with "Found it". Not even a thanks, eh? TFTC is better than that. On top of that, prior to 2010, "Found it" was the ultimate "your cache sucks" log, and considred highly insulting.

Still think I'm stupid, Dan2099? That's quite the forum guideline violation, by the way. Don't worry, I won't report you. :lol:

To answer LoneR's question, I definitely remember the first time I ever commented on the mass influx of TFTC logs; I wss on my to a "10 years" event, which of course all occured in early May 2010. The one cache I found had 3 consecutive TFTC logs from 3 different then n00bs on 3 different dates. I made a "what's up with that?" sort of comment. That being said, they were new, but starting to happen. I'm going to guess the Iphone app came out in late 2009.

EDIT: P.S. Read my lips; no new taxes. I said I was going to sit this one out in like post #5. :ph34r:

Re read my post I never called you stupid, I said those people who are snobs saying smart phones have no place in caching are stupid...So please learn to read and actually UNDERSTAND before responding back to ANY thing I write.

Also I think people should write "your cache sucks" if they feel that way, but then write "but here is what could help it...." Again every cache will get an occasional TFTC or similar acronym but if thats all it gets "your cache sucks."

I waited until I had 65 finds under my belt before I even began making my caches (2 are now done will place them this saturday) I read on here someone recommended finding at least 50 to get an idea of whats good and whats not...Then I came on here and other online sites and researched it and gathered opinions...My ammo can has several layers of paint and hand painted pictures on EACH side...Inside its stenciled, my log book has been prepared with a similar theme of artwork throughout...I picked the location because its near a 20ft rock bluff over looking a small creek and you have to pass a tiny creepy little church with stain glassed windows to get to it...Needless to say I have put in a considerable amount of time, effort, and money into this cache....I expect I will see TFTC, even if I think my cache deserves a pulitzer note worthy log. In the end I will be happy with whatever I get, because TFTC, means someone spent there time, gas money, and effort in searching for it.

Again I expect to see TFTC which I find better then these "Me and Ralph230 are out on a geocache run today, and this was lucky number 13 out of 41 caches we found today in the Richmond area. It sure was a hot one today got up around 90, Ralph and me LITERALLY drank a gallon of water today lol" Which log would you want? I would rather have "TFTC" why? Because the other may be longer but it has nothing to do with the actual cache itself someone is just being polite....

Also curious how can you tell what device people are using to submit logs?

<snip>

I'm going to guess then the Iphone app came out in late 2009.

I bought v.1.1.1 of Groundspeak's app on 12/24/08.

I noticed early on that there were some local cache pages which had blurbs saying that brief logs would be deleted, so the "problem" of short logs must have existed (at least in my neck of the woods) before I started in late 2008.

<snip>

I bought v.1.1.1 of Groundspeak's app on 12/24/08.

I noticed early on that there were some local cache pages which had blurbs saying that brief logs would be deleted, so the "problem" of short logs must have existed (at least in my neck of the woods) before I started in late 2008.

If I ever ran across a cache that threatened deletion of my logs due to length I would start my log out by comparing my day of caching too Homer's The Odyssey and then cut and paste that entire poem and at the very end of my log put TFTC.

So you are saying you can get 5 caches lets say on a cache trail, meaning at the min, 5 min apart so 25 min...then drive home lets say another 20 min...thats over 40 min from your first find...You memory is better then someone logging at the cache? I highly doubt it, thats why witness at a crime scene varies they forget and are unreliable....People blaming cell phone cachers for lazy logs is ridiculous. I am well under 40, but beyond 20.... Most people I have met are under 40 most are actually at 30 or below...Most of those do use smart phones.

Yes, I'm saying that. Found 105 in a day once, logged something unique about each one. Since then I have picked up a small digital voice recorder that I sometimes use, but mostly I just go by memory.

+1

What makes you feel that you have a right to expect caches at all?

Note that I didn't claim that I could remember the experience more accurately than if I logged it with a cell phone. What I wrote is that if I find, say 10 caches in a day, I can remember them well enough to write a few unique sentences about each of them, and that carrying a notepad and a pen to jot down a note or two is all it takes to add a little more detail. I'm not convinced that those that use a smart phone to log a cache in the field, do so because it's more accurate. I suspect most do it because it's more efficient.

True. I've started using the smartphone to log the find or create field notes because it's efficient for me. Helps me keep track of what I've found. I keep forgetting to bring my paper logbook with me. I wouldn't say that it's better then a paper logbook. Personally anything that would enhance online logs is OK with me. It's when people use the cellphone to rush through things and skip steps (i.e. writing something meaningful in the online log) that it becomes bothersome to many in the geocaching community.

I agree that not every cache is going to be the type that every cache wants to find. That doesn't explain my observation that when I see just a TFTC or a cut-n-paste log on a cache and look at their profile to see other caches that person has logged, I find that they log *all* their finds in a similar manner. It doesn't matter if it's a LPC, cache on a guard rail, or a unique container, hidden in a unique manner, at a great location. Based on what I've seen, those that only write TFTC (or less) or use cut-n-paste logs, do so on every cache. It has nothing to do with personal bias for a certain cache type.

+1. My observation too.

Just as there are cachers that prefer to find different types of caches, not all cache owners are the same. Perhaps that person that wrote that when they see TFTC...they are happy that someone cared enough to find it, because they're only placing caches for others to find. My goal when placing caches is to create something that other caches will remember.

Yes, I totally agree. I hide caches to provide a nice experience not to simply be found. If one of our caches were so uninspiring to get mostly cut&paste and/or acronym-only logs, I'd retrieve it and archive it.

You do realize, don't you, that cachers receive no payment for putting a cache out? So, what makes you think that you can even expect one single cache?

There is plenty of happy ground between "TFTC" and a Pulitzer Prize winning story. That is pure hyperbole and strawman.

Re read my post I never called you stupid, I said those people who are snobs saying smart phones have no place in caching are stupid...So please learn to read and actually UNDERSTAND before responding back to ANY thing I write.

Referring to any posters in this forum as stupid is a violation. So is your snarky attitude in this paragraph, for that matter.

I'll give you that you weren't around Dan, but no one, and I mean no one, was logging our caches (the collective we) with punctuation and blank logs before smartphones. Care to find me punctuation as a cache log 2008 or earlier? Heck, find me "TFTC" as the entire contents of a cache log from 2008 or earlier. Yes, some of the logs could be coming from Paperless GPSr's, and that has been brought up beofre, but I'll never be convinced it's more than a miniscule percentage. Also the many "Tftc" logs you'll see, just as that, with the first letter capatilized, are a dead giveaway it's from a smartphone. I don't have to explain that one to anyone, do I? :lol:

I gave you an example, you don't see the trend? You think people all of a sudden started going home to their computers after May 2010, and decided : ) was approriate for a cache log?

You do realize, don't you, that cachers receive no payment for putting a cache out? So, what makes you think that you can even expect one single cache?

There is plenty of happy ground between "TFTC" and a Pulitzer Prize winning story. That is pure hyperbole and strawman.

I can expect whatever I want. The point is, if your cache sucks you are getting a TFTC. Don't be mad or upset or hurt about it.

Think of it as a p.c. way of saying "it sucked but I found it anyways" :P

p.s: No strawmen or hyperbolies were hurt in the typing of this message. :rolleyes::unsure:

If you are not getting paid by putting out your caches, then you are not doing it right.

The payment one receives for putting a cache out is the chance to share an experience with someone and to express themselves creatively to someone they might not have otherwise gotten a chance to do. So what do they want to share with the world? A magnetic key holder with a strip of paper in it on the back side of a guardrail....TFTC

I can expect caches because I can expect people to make art. I can expect caches because, I expect if a person sees a mountain they want to climb it...People NEED to express themselves, if they are expressing themselves by saying a magnetic key holder with a strip of paper in it is the best I can do...I would not want to meet that person.

There really shouldn't be a lame cache there really isn't an excuse for it. If you are artistic show it in your log book, or container...If you are a math whiz make a crazy hard puzzle to figure out...

If you are not getting paid by putting out your caches, then you are not doing it right.

The payment one receives for putting a cache out is the chance to share an experience with someone and to express themselves creatively to someone they might not have otherwise gotten a chance to do. So what do they want to share with the world? A magnetic key holder with a strip of paper in it on the back side of a guardrail....TFTC

I can expect caches because I can expect people to make art. I can expect caches because, I expect if a person sees a mountain they want to climb it...People NEED to express themselves, if they are expressing themselves by saying a magnetic key holder with a strip of paper in it is the best I can do...I would not want to meet that person.

There really shouldn't be a lame cache there really isn't an excuse for it. If you are artistic show it in your log book, or container...If you are a math whiz make a crazy hard puzzle to figure out...

+100 amen brother! :grin:

Referring to any posters in this forum as stupid is a violation. So is your snarky attitude in this paragraph, for that matter.

I'll give you that you weren't around Dan, but no one, and I mean no one, was logging our caches (the collective we) with punctuation and blank logs before smartphones. Care to find me punctuation as a cache log 2008 or earlier? Heck, find me "TFTC" as the entire contents of a cache log from 2008 or earlier. Yes, some of the logs could be coming from Paperless GPSr's, and that has been brought up beofre, but I'll never be convinced it's more than a miniscule percentage. Also the many "Tftc" logs you'll see, just as that, with the first letter capatilized, are a dead giveaway it's from a smartphone. I don't have to explain that one to anyone, do I? :lol:

I gave you an example, you don't see the trend? You think people all of a sudden started going home to their computers after May 2010, and decided : ) was approriate for a cache log?

Again RE Read my post I never called a poster Stupid. As far as a snarky attitude maybe/ but if thats not the pot calling the kettle black

I often capitalize the first letter of every sentence out of habit, its kind of a normal thing to do...Most phones have a memory so if someone placed TFTC over and over it would actually capitalize them all out of memory..Also another important fact you are missing is a cache is only unique ONCE after that its been done by the time they see your version of it, it could be the cacher has seen it 50 times...so therefore it gets a TFTC...Because by the time caching was popular enough to get an app, there was already an abundance of caches that were the all the same...My first guardrail I wrote a few lines and was amazed same goes for my first lpc...my 2nd and 3rd got tftc...

But blaming smartphone users as the reason for a decline in logs is wrong and silly...I personally find it wrong to blame any certain group as a whole in life not just in caching.

This is the last I will respond to your posts.

You might want to spend a little time looking at my hides, reading the comments in the logs and checking the favorite points. I have no problem there. I don't like "lame" caches, and I don't hide them. But I also don't see how you or anybody else can "expect" caches. I'm at least somewhat thankful for each and every one, even if I wish they had done better. Something to find is better than nothing to find.

Our Arboretum cache

Hidden: 04/14/2002

Acronym-only logs:

08/12/2006 TFTC

10/25/2007 TFTC

11/29/2009 TFTC

04/04/2010 TFTC

09/18/2010 TFTC

04/05/2011 TFTC

06/03/2011 TFTC

06/03/2011 TFTC

06/03/2011:)

06/03/2011:)

02/20/2012 TFTC

05/23/2012 TFTC

Our Little Tract LB hybrid

Hidden: 05/01/2005

05/07/2007 TFTC

01/10/2010 TFTLB

09/25/2011 TFTC

12/30/2011 TFTC

03/14/2012 TFTC

04/06/2012 TFTC

06/08/2012:)

One thing I've noticed - people go back and change their log. It seems that TFTC is used as a placeholder. I checked one of my other caches which I was sure I had a lot of acronym-only logs and even one "." log but now I don't see them.

Just a note to people who use TFTC as a placeholder, the CO doesn't know that you changed your log later. They get the TFTC log in their email but no follow-up. If you want the CO to know that you enjoyed their cache try using the app's Field Notes feature [tutorial] instead of logging from the field. It will keep a record of your finds and thoughts which you can review on the GC site when you get to a computer before logging the cache. That way the CO gets your more meaningful log in their email rather then just a TFTC.

Edited by L0ne R

Dan2099 says,

He also says that "TFTC" is the "tip" that he gives the cache owner.

So... a TFTC is extra, and all the reward the cache owner should need is that he knows that he put the cache out there? To me, that implies that a cache owner should be thrilled with getting no finders logs at all (or blank logs) and that a TFTC should make him extra happy. Sorry, but I don't get it.

Dan2099 says,

So... a TFTC is extra, and all the reward the cache owner should need is that he knows that he put the cache out there? To me, that implies that a cache owner should be thrilled with getting no finders logs at all (or blank logs) and that a TFTC should make him extra happy. Sorry, but I don't get it.

(Oh man..wheres the smiley banging his head against a brick wall icon when you need it...sigh........)

I'm certainly happy you are not hiding any lame caches, but this topic is not about "you". Its about the initial poster being bothered by TFTC.

TFTP :P

Dan2099 says,

(Oh man..wheres the smiley banging his head against a brick wall icon when you need it...sigh........)

I'm certainly happy you are not hiding any lame caches, but this topic is not about "you". Its about the initial poster being bothered by TFTC.

You and Dan2099 have me banging my head quite a bit here, so I know that feeling well.

I know that this isn't about me. I'm only saying that to make sure that you two understand that I am not defending my own caches here.

Dan2099 says,

You and Dan2099 have me banging my head quite a bit here, so I know that feeling well.

I know that this isn't about me. I'm only saying that to make sure that you two understand that I am not defending my own caches here.

I never mentioned anything referring to any of your caches.

You are the only one who started talking about you, yourself and your caches, which definately makes it seem like you are on the "defensive". :rolleyes:

This is about "tftc-rash" not you. Now, go put out some good caches so you can finally sleep good tonight. :D

Stay on course.

Dan2099 says,

You were the one that brought up YOUR caches....

The way you see a cache and I see a cache is completely different....You seem to think that when someone is placing a cache you are doing the finder a favor, I look at it as the finder is doing me the favor by hunting my cache.. You say a person doesn't need to to put out a cache...I say a person doesn't have to hunt your caches...

There are plenty of caches out there in the world, for someone to take time/effort/gas money to hunt for something I created...its almost backwards the c/o doesn't get to thank the cacher...

When making a cache you should ask yourself why you are doing it...Is your cache meant to inform, is it meant to puzzle, is it meant to entertain, is it meant to bring a person to a certain location, ETC....After that you need to begin expanding on that idea....Most caches (not all) I have seen have no thought behind them other then they met the basic requirements of a geocache...Being polite caches that ONLY meet basic requirements get a TFTC...In school we got a C....I was taught by my parents and teachers a C is almost as bad as failing.

Also yes a TFTC is a tip...again a C/O is requesting my time you are wanting someone to come and find something you created...If your message is hey look under this lamp post at walmart, you get TFTC...Sometimes I say tftc when often times the cache deserves a FOUND or F....Again if you create a cache and ask people to hunt it, you are asking for their time, and when you have their attention what are you saying with your cache? What is your time worth to you? Is your time worth a pill bottle under a lamp post in the middle of a Walgreens parking lot, or is it worth more? I am not saying lpc do not have there place, I find them during lunch hour or when I am bored, but do not expect more then tftc...