What GPS as supplement to iPhone 4?

I really like using my iPhone 4 with the Geocaching software, except that the accuracy once we get close is poor, especially in the woods. I'd like to get a "real" GPS, but only as a supplement. I don't need road maps as I have TomTom on my iPhone as well as the Geocaching app. Basically I just need something that will give me greater accuracy once I'm near the cache. I'll use my iPhone to get me close, then the real GPS as needed. What's a good choice for me? I think all I need are for it to have Better accuracy, maps, compass and the ability to enter GPS coordinates, though I'm not sure exactly what I need.

I have an old Magellan Explorist 200 that works fine, for what you are talking about. Anything on Craigslist would probably work just fine.

We upgraded to the Magellan GC for better graphics and that worked great for a long time. With the Iphone, the Magellan Explorist 200 works fine.

I added a new post about how to use the cheaper Garmin car Sat Navs for this just yesterday.

You can pick up an older eTrex or something similar through eBay to get map, b&w screen, and compass, but entering co-ords is a bit fiddly.

Using a low end car sat nav, you can use pocket queries, bigger colour screen, good accuracy, but no compass. (you have one on the iPhone)

http://www.ursasoftware.com/GPXMATE/index.html

Whatever you get.... get a GPS with the 3 axis compass. You're used to having/using it on the iphone. If you get a GPS without that - you probably won't like it. We bought an Explorist and ended up selling it after using it a couple times. We ended up buying a Garmin Oregon and have been using it for a year, much better accuracy than the iphone. I think any handheld will be more accurate than the iphone when down to GZ. We just bought another GPS (so my husband and I don't have to share the GPS), a Garmin 62s. We bought another Garmin because of all the accessories we have & cables, etc. We also have a Garmin Nuvi for the car. I think the main difference between Oregon vs 62s, is the Oregon has a touch screen and internal antennae. The 62s has external antennae and no touch screen. The 62s is still newish and we haven't used it enough to compare which one is better........

Another option I'm wondering about is adding an external bluetooth GPS receiver. There are some that work with iOS devices out of the box, but also you can jailbreak and then use any bluetooth GPS receiver with some software you can install that way. I'd actually be the most happy with something like that, but I bought an inexpensive one a while back and it proved not to provide better accuracy. In fact I think it's worse. Are there any bluetooth GPS receivers that provide significantly improved GPS accuracy?

If you like the sleek sophistication of the iPhone 4, and really want a supplement to your geocaching experiences, thenI can't recommend anything better than the 60csx.

Look. You have all the bells and whistles on your phones. No need to duplicate features. You need durability and ruggedness

Get it on the cheap on eBay.

Edited by JesandTodd

After much hemming and hawing, I decided to give a Garmin GPSMAP 62sc a try. Ordered from amazon where the price was about the same as for the 62s - I was going to get the 62s, but for the same price I didn't see any reason to not get the sc model. If I see any problems, returning it should be no problem. I'm excited! :)