Impenetrable?

Spotted this one while caching the other day. Just wondering why all lightposts aren't made this way! :lol:

af0265b2-cbf9-4722-88a2-f7a783efef63.jpg

Not posting this to start a debate or anything,, just thought it was funny that one of our goto's brought us to within 30 feet of this welded and non liftable skirt.

just thought it was funny that one of our goto's brought us to within 30 feet of this welded and non liftable skirt.

That's a 5-Star Difficulty lamp post! :P

When I first started Geocaching, I thought I had a cool hide idea: Make a kind of cover box for lamp post skirts, that I could hide a container in. I didn't know the skirts lift right up. So for the above lamp, a custom cover might just work!

Escutcheons are common to many things other than light poles ( the finish ring around a sprinkler head is an example ) and allow for easy servicing and give a nice finished appearance after installation is complete. Ideally the escutcheon would be fastened with tamper proof screws. I've seen thousands but can't recall seeing one welded.

I've seen thousands but can't recall seeing one welded.

I wonder if a cacher could make one that looks like it's securely welded, but has a secret access. That would be sneaky.

It would look like this (I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'). ;)

Edited by kunarion

(Consults Picture he posted to Twitter about a year and a half ago).

This was actually on an Air Force Base. Haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. I call it, The LPC Eliminator. Edit to post larger picture, not the thumbnail.

7355133960_72c17e1976.jpg

Edited by Mr.Yuck

On a recent cache search GZ led me to a chain link fence. The post caps were screwed onto the post, never seen that before either. Good thing the page said not to mess with them. ;)

Good fence posts are Sch 40 galv. pipe and the ends come threaded.....a pipe cap and you're done.

I wonder if a cacher could make one that looks like it's securely welded, but has a secret access. That would be sneaky.

Nice job on the concrete. It sure looks real, doesn't it?

(Consults Picture he posted to Twitter about a year and a half ago).

This was actually on an Air Force Base. Haven't seen anything like it anywhere else. I call it, The LPC Eliminator. Edit to post larger picture, not the thumbnail.

7355133960_72c17e1976.jpg

This post has been edited by Mr.Yuck: Today, 12:07 PM

LOL: This post has been edited by Mr.Yuck: Today, 12:07 PM

Seems you don't like LPCs :P

Edited by Roman!

LAWL. Why are you LOL'ing that I edited my post? I originally posted a link to the thumbnail version, but changed it to the full-sized version. And no, I don't like LPC's. But unlike most whiners, my 600 cache ignore list in my 50 mile notification radius shows I put my money where my mouth is. :o

LAWL. Why are you LOL'ing that I edited my post? I originally posted a link to the thumbnail version, but changed it to the full-sized version. And no, I don't like LPC's. But unlike most whiners, my 600 cache ignore list in my 50 mile notification radius shows I put my money where my mouth is. :o

Below a picture of an altered lamp POST it says This post has been edited by Mr.Yuck: Today, 12:07 PM

Sorry, too much beer.

Edited by Roman!

Nice job on the concrete. It sure looks real, doesn't it?

You know, we DNFed that cache so you might have something there. It didn't even don on us to check if the old fake concrete under the skirt trick was used on that cache. :huh:

You need to climb 40 feet up the lamp post to access the cache. Much cooler than hiding it under the skirt. :)

And now that you said that,, i'm thinking i need to drive back over there, some 60 miles one way, and try again. For all i know, there may even be a hidden button that when pushed, energizes hydraulics which elevate the whole lightpole up just enough to access the magnetic keybox hidden underneath.