Right to Pass laws and guidelines

I am in the final days of planning a vacation and part will include a day of Caching in Berkhamsted.

I am not use to being able to go into and through properties that appear to be part of private homes. In looking at the caches around this area

http://coord.info/GCDFE9

I can see there is a footpath mapped ( in a link made by CO ) past this cache. But others up in the golf course I am unsure.

Here in the US you cannot walk in or through golf courses unless you are actually a paying / playing member

Is there any sign or designation I need to be aware of which points out the out of bounds or restricted areas.

I am planning to swing over the top of this area through the Rail Copse and the Northchurch area back to town.

Sounds like a good day out.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Certainly on our 2 local golf courses (Sunningdale and Wentworth) their are public footpaths criss-crossing them.

Look for a Green finger board on a green post with white writing sayiong "Public Footpath" and you should be OK, as long as you stick to the path, don't cross fairways in front of golfers playing the ball, and look out for flying objects - usually small, round, white and painful!

If the Ordnance Survey map (as in the sample on the cache page link) shows a public footpath then you have every right to walk along it, wherever it takes you.

Normally there will be a post or sign to show where the path starts, and perhaps stiles and gates along the way to indicate where to cross fences or hedges. Plus further markers to indicate changes in direction. The rule is to follow the path as precisely as possible (for instance, don't deviate round a field edge to avoid trampling crops if the footpath takes a line across the field).

It's rare that a path goes through the garden of a someone's home (although it does happen). But bear in mind that almost every square inch of land in the UK is private land, in that it's owned by somebody. That is different from the land being "private" (as in, "keep out"), and that causes a lot of confusion. A lot of land (including most of Scotland) is open access, so if you don't cause any damage you can go where you like (see here for a relevant example).

Many golf courses contain public footpaths, where you have the right to walk (whether the course is in use or not). Normally a golf club will erect a sign where the path enters their land, explaining that you need to follow a line of posts and take care to avoid flying golf balls. The usual convention is a line of marker posts so that you don't wander off line. See this link for an example. Note that the footpath may not be designed to avoid danger in any way, as it was probably in use before the course was built. So you may walk straight across a fairway in direct line of fire - keep your wits about you!

Thanks to all for the quick answers.

I visited the Cotswold Way two years ago and am familiar with the colored arrows linked by Bear.

I hope to see some of the native woodland flowers in full glory along with some fine trees.

I will watch out for errant white ( or yellow) flying things :blink:

If the Ordnance Survey map (as in the sample on the cache page link) shows a public footpath then you have every right to walk along it, wherever it takes you.

Except that even a brand new OS map will be out of date as soon as it's printed - as has been proven in court (and on these forums LOL) and is no proof of right of way or defence in an English Court.

The only map that should be used as proof of a right of way will be the local authority's Definitive Map.

Except that even a brand new OS map will be out of date as soon as it's printed - as has been proven in court (and on these forums LOL) and is no proof of right of way or defence in an English Court.

The only map that should be used as proof of a right of way will be the local authority's Definitive Map.

I know, but in practical terms that doesn't matter. It's rare that the Definitive Map would be needed, and it's not available to a rambler anyway.

Another point for the visitor from far to be aware of is that in England and Wales there's no need to worry about "trespassing" as in the American sense of the word. If you use common sense (i.e. don't cause damage or invade someone's privacy) you won't be liable for any kind of prosecution, whether you're on the footpath or off it. The worst that could happen is that a farmer might ask you to return to the footpath forthwith, and if you refuse he may lead you gently to the access point.

So the chances of having to argue in court that you were following a footpath as marked on an out-of-date map are remote in the extreme, even if you're an avid walker in England (let alone a visitor).