Unique Artistic Door Handles

Hi,

I'm thinking about handles.

On my Waymarking trips i sometimes noticed great handles. The doors weren't so special that i could submit it to the doors category, but the handles were excellent!

The exiting thing is to find them. 1000 of people don't realize that they are touching these small things of art.

Here are some examples:

My link

My link

My link

Thanks for your thoughts,

lumbricus

Edited by lumbricus
Deleted dead links
  • Funny 1

Sure, there my be some overlap with Doors of the World, but I think none of my waymarks in that category have artistic handles.

Prevalence? Probably this depends on location. A young country like the U.S. probably has few. Europe probably has lots of possibilities. Asia? Well, we just don't have door handles.

• Funny 1

I can see a few issues here. There is an artistic attraction of such door knockers, but ... what if there are several at one site? Say a church with dozens of doors all with identical door knockers. Is only one knocker to be waymarked (presumably the knocker on the main door)? Also, what if the same artistic door knocker is used in different buildings, even different buildings in widely scattered locations? There would also need to be an effective definition of 'artistic'. Nothing cheap or tawdry.

The only artistic door knockers I have seen in Asia are on the doors of a few 5 star hotels, and a few high-class entertainment facilities—which I have only read about. In ozi, not so much.

I can see a few issues here. There is an artistic attraction of such door knockers, but ... what if there are several at one site? Say a church with dozens of doors all with identical door knockers. Is only one knocker to be waymarked (presumably the knocker on the main door)? Also, what if the same artistic door knocker is used in different buildings, even different buildings in widely scattered locations? There would also need to be an effective definition of 'artistic'. Nothing cheap or tawdry.

The only artistic door knockers I have seen in Asia are on the doors of a few 5 star hotels, and a few high-class entertainment facilities—which I have only read about. In ozi, not so much.

Thanks Ian.

If there are more identical handles or knockers at one site, than only one could be waymarked, pictures from the others are welcome. The main door make sense. Mostly the artistic ones are old and handmade. The case that artistic ones are the same in different (widely scattered) locations is vanishingly low.

Nothing cheap or tawdry. -> D’accord

You are only writting about the knockers, not about the handles. Do you have handles in Thailand :yikes:

Actually, quite intriguing. The masses tend to perceive a Waymark as being possibly an imposing structure of historic note, possibly the scene of a major disaster, maybe even a notable natural phenomenon. Door handles/Door knobs don't seem readily to fit within such a world view. The question at hand is: Should they?

Are the great Door Handles of the world worthy of our attention? Are they sufficiently historic or artistic to be worthy of a category of their own?

At present, the only answer I can provide is: I don't know.

Given the examples presented here, however, I have no qualms in stating here and now that there presently exist on this planet Door Handles sufficiently artistic in their execution to warrant a category within the Culture department, disregarding any historic or heritage merit they may also possess. 'Nuff said.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
On 6/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, lumbricus said:

You're right, this idea wasn't in peer review yet, so I have to write something the next days. Is someone out there who likes to write a new category? :back:

Well, Andreas, it you're willing to flesh it out, I'd be willing to do a full edit of the English translation.

Keith

Probably should be something in there about the location should normally be expecting the public to visit. And I mean a fancy, private house with an elaborate door handle would never expect the public to normally visit their house on a regular basis. Those should be excluded.

All public buildings and private buildings which normally have public tours on a regular basis would be acceptable to me.

Looking at the photos of our visit of North Macedonia last year I found that I coincidentally took a photo of a modern, but artistic door handle of a watch shop:

0-.jpg.9892a0a4d5e5835455857e1d4b0b91c8.jpg     0.jpg.84f9f9693f06ec18a4ee7a728eeefb8c.jpg

The door handle was made by the same artist (Vlado Kostov) as the human statue waiting and looking at his watch (see his signature at the top of the bigger circle). Unfortunately, I have no detailled photo of the handle and no photo of the entire building, but nevertheless I wanted to give an example of a modern artistic door handle and wanted to know, if modern door handles like this one are also accepted. The category description doesn't explicitly in- or exclude them.

Edited by PISA-caching
13 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

The door handle was made by the same artist (Vlado Kostov) as the human statue waiting and looking at his watch (see his signature at the top of the bigger circle). Unfortunately, I have no detailled photo of the handle and no photo of the entire building, but nevertheless I wanted to give an example of a modern artistic door handle and wanted to know, if modern door handles like this one are also accepted. The category description doesn't explicitly in- or exclude them.

As the category doesn't exclude 'new' items, I would happily accept this, and other modern door handles and knockers - providing the required photos were there.

Keep your eyes open! You may see more, and be able to get the required photos and information, :)

• Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

As the category doesn't exclude 'new' items, I would happily accept this, and other modern door handles and knockers - providing the required photos were there.

Keep your eyes open! You may see more, and be able to get the required photos and information, :)

Thank you both for the feedback.

Too bad I won't ever visit Skopje again. It would have been the first waymark of that category in North Macedonia ;), but if somebody should visit my other waymark, he/she can take some photos of the door handle and create the waymark.

Talking about photos: Requiring a photo of the entire building makes sense in most cases, but this particular door handle is part of a modern watch shop that is on the ground floor of an older building. In other words: The modern door handle has nothing to do with the old building that is only visible above the shop. Would a photo of the shop/groundfloor in such rare cases be better/enough?

Edited by PISA-caching
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

The modern door handle has nothing to do with the old building that is only visible above the shop. Would a photo of the shop/groundfloor in such rare cases be better/enough?

Does ask for the whole building...

Me? I'd take 1 or 2 photos of the handle, 1 of the door, 1 of the 'modern part, then the whole building.

As you say, the handle/door IS relevant to the new part, so that's what I would show, but it still needs the whole building.

I think the category is one of those that you need to know the requirements (or make sure you take enough photos!) to submit a Waymark.

Needs a little thought, and isn't a 'drive by' category. ;) (Is that a good or bad thing? )

How much of the building do you have? Think you have enough? As an officer I'd be happy to put it to a vote. (Or another officer here might say yes...)

14 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Does ask for the whole building...

Me? I'd take 1 or 2 photos of the handle, 1 of the door, 1 of the 'modern part, then the whole building.

As you say, the handle/door IS relevant to the new part, so that's what I would show, but it still needs the whole building.

I think the category is one of those that you need to know the requirements (or make sure you take enough photos!) to submit a Waymark.

Needs a little thought, and isn't a 'drive by' category. ;) (Is that a good or bad thing? )

How much of the building do you have? Think you have enough? As an officer I'd be happy to put it to a vote. (Or another officer here might say yes...)

Well, the problem is, that the category didn't exist, when I took the photos. ;) I took several photos of another door handle I found in my hometown AFTER the category description was finished. :D The only three photos that could be used for the door handle in North Macedonia can be seen on my other waymark.

Since the original photos have a resolution of 5472 * 3648 pixels, I could crop one of them to show just the handle, but it would be slightly blurred and only around 600 * 400. If I cropped it to show to the entire (but not interesting) pole the photo would be 2000 * 3000. But I have no photo of the whole building. So, no, I don't think I have enough and the door handle deserves a much better photo of it alone.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Alfouine said:

I am sure you could try to publish your waymark and wait and see....

Having looked at the other waymarks photographs, the lack of a photo of "the entire building" would be a "Decline" from me, sadly.

Not sure how any of the other officers would decide on it.

(I'd be happy to leave it, or put it to a vote, should you submit it, to see what the other officers think)

Don't worry, I won't even try it. Not because I don't have a photo of the entire building, but because the door handle is blurred ( I focused on the statue) and IMHO not big enough for a default photo. I just wanted to know how strict the rule with the photo of the entire building is. IMHO it is a difference, if the door handle is part of e.g. a church, where a photo of the entire building makes a lot of sense, and my example, where the handle and the shop are completely modern architecture, but built into an older house. Anyway, now that I know, I will always take a photo of the entire building, just to be sure. ^_^

• Upvote 1