eTrex 20/30 software version 2.80

You might have been one of the first people to report it to Garmin; how many folks look at their GPS when it's powered off? :D It's also possible that they (like me and a few other responders here) "didn't get" what you were saying.

It is a funny thing though. How often does it flash? Every few seconds? Every minute?

it happend ever like 20 min..it was real weird...i just got the unit and a bunch of assecories and i had them all layed out on the table and i just got the garmin backpack teather and i was putting it on my hydration pack and out of the corner of my eye i seen the screen flash on real quick....i thought i was trippin or something...."i said to myself this thing just powere up real quick their must be something wrong" so i put the unit directly in front of me and waited to see if it happend again cause i know what i seen...sure enough it happend and i just was real disapointed....then when i got my new unit i put it in my room before i went to bed with the lights out and told my wife that this software im downloading has a bug that turns the unit on when powred off....sure enough it lite the room up and then i was really stumped and thats when i searched the web for some other people who have the device and for people who had the new 2.80 software....but thank god i got it figured out and i dont have to return no more units, HAHAH,BUT GARMIN IS CLUELESS TO THIS....also when i was on the phone with garmin the unnoledgeable tech had me hold in the menu, toggle, and power button to do a master reset....i was doing this with him on the phone and i didnt work for like 10 minutes...i told him this problem happend cause i just installed the new 2.80 software...he apparently didnt know that along with this software the new master reset plan is to just hold in the menu button and the toggle button and just tap the power button....i wish he was a little more helpfull and knew what he was talking about....ooo well anyway im fixed and im happy just cant wait to get out and put some miles on my new unit...got a real nice hike planned for sunday and im just glad i got everything good to go...

Screen flashing every 15 minutes: An amazingly, terribly bad implementation of continous pressure logging where someone decided the system must boot and turn on its backlight (with full power!!!) to proceed with the logging. If you go to Setup -> Altimeter -> Pressure trending and set it to "Save when power on" the flashes will cease to occur.

User13371 - it's extremely apparent if the unit lies on a tabletop at night for instance. If it lies in the same room the light flash may even wake less sound sleepers up. Hence no need to actively look at the unit when powered off, I found it out anyway.

Edited by tr_s

Can't reset the odometer either :)

Sounds like less of a bug to me, just like a car odometer can't be reset. There's a Trip odometer as well which indeed can be reset. Of course the "Odometer" is then just a meaningless number and I'm not sure why it's even implemented in the first place.

My eTrex-30 v2.80 resets Total ascent on a trip computer reset. Not saying that mussolini is lying though, the firmware in these units show a lot of funny/inconsistent behaviour...

Can't reset the odometer either :)

Sounds like less of a bug to me, just like a car odometer can't be reset. There's a Trip odometer as well which indeed can be reset. Of course the "Odometer" is then just a meaningless number and I'm not sure why it's even implemented in the first place.

My eTrex-30 v2.80 resets Total ascent on a trip computer reset. Not saying that mussolini is lying though, the firmware in these units show a lot of funny/inconsistent behaviour...

Yes..the total ascent reset works on the Etrex 30 but not on the 20 when doing a trip computer reset.

The fact that the total ascent cannot be displayed as one of the fields on the trip computer but can only be displayed as a field on the map page may have something to do with it...

Screen flashing every 15 minutes: An amazingly, terribly bad implementation...User13371 - it's extremely apparent if the unit lies on a tabletop at night for instance.

I don't dispute it's a bug and should be fixed. But what is amazing and terrible to you hardly moves the needle for me.

This one seems fairly obscure, low seriousness, and easy to avoid. Don't need continuous barometric altitude trending, turn that feature off. If you really need to record a continuous trend while the GPS is otherwise off, a flash of the screen a few times an hour isn't going to add much to the battery drain. And if you really, absolutely, must have that trending record on your night table while you're sleeping and afraid the light will wake you - turn the thing face down.

Edited by user13371
There's no logic in having an odometer on a GPS that's not resettable as the total distance a GPS has travelled is meaningless.

And the logic behind being ABLE to reset it is?

I *don't* think it's meaningless to have one odometer on the GPS that can't be reset. How often do you see "for sale" ads for used gadgets claiming they "nearly new" or "only taken out to the box to make sure it works"? It's true these things don't have maintenance cycles like cars, but some people do care. Not simply the buyer of a used device who wants to know if the seller was telling the truth - but also people who like to know how many miles they've carried the thing.

Now, that "total ascent" thing? Yeah, that one needs to be reset-able.

Screen flashing every 15 minutes: An amazingly, terribly bad implementation...User13371 - it's extremely apparent if the unit lies on a tabletop at night for instance.

I don't dispute it's a bug and should be fixed. But what is amazing and terrible to you hardly moves the needle for me.

This one seems fairly obscure, low seriousness, and easy to avoid. Don't need continuous barometric altitude trending, turn that feature off. If you really need to record a continuous trend while the GPS is otherwise off, a flash of the screen a few times an hour isn't going to add much to the battery drain. And if you really, absolutely, must have that trending record on your night table while you're sleeping and afraid the light will wake you - turn the thing face down.

Low seriousness for me too and "hardly moves the needle"... still a terrible implementation. Even if people can turn the feature off - they might not realize it's been turned on and is causing the flashing. One wouldn't accept a car which flashes the headlights every 15 minutes whenever the car alarm is enabled.

mussolini - Don't think that one's serious at all... no sensor connected = no value. Just change that field to some other relevant data (afaik those fields are customizable everywhere in the device) . Really just screen/menu aesthetics, but I agree it's sloppy especially if that was a preset field on the trip computer when the device was shipped!

... An amazingly, terribly bad implementation....
... hardly moves the needle for me....fairly obscure, low seriousness, and easy to avoid...
Low seriousness for me too and "hardly moves the needle"... still a terrible implementation.

You and I use language differently. I save "amazingly, terribly bad" for things that ARE serious :D :D

Thanks to this thread I've just been made aware and installed this 2.8 firmware and I've noticed what I think is a bug that existed in some form in a previous firmware. Does anyone know how to report this stuff to Garmin?

The bug in question if anyone is a interested is that on the GPS screen that shows all the satelites, my elevation is shown in feet even though I've set the unit of measurement to metres. In fact it has an m to indicate metres, but the figure given appears to be approx 3 times greater than my elevation in metres on the trip computer screen.

In previous versions I think the bug was slightly different in that the figure for my elevation on the satelite page and the trip computer stage were the same however the satelite page had ft to illustrate feet and the trip computer m. At least I think I'm remembering this correctly. Can anyone confirm either of these?

I have trouble with Garmin Etrex 30. After upgrading firmware to 2.80, device display wrong total ascent/descent during hiking. When I transfer gpx file to computer Basecamp calculate corectly total ascent/descent.

I contacted Garmin support and they send me instruction how to hard reset device. Hard reset did not solved error.

I asked support how to return device to previous firmare but support did not answered that alse they did not answer anything which is helpfull).

I found that other users have same problems (Etrex Total Ascent Wrong).

img5521.jpg

img5523.jpg

img5526.jpg

slikabc.jpg

slikabc2.jpg

I have trouble with Garmin Etrex 30. After upgrading firmware to 2.80, device display wrong total ascent/descent during hiking.

I unfortunately believe this has been a problem right from the time the device was released. Never used that data so I haven't noticed it myself. Some reviews on Amazon from way back in 2011 already then note this fault.

I have trouble with Garmin Etrex 30. After upgrading firmware to 2.80, device display wrong total ascent/descent during hiking.

I unfortunately believe this has been a problem right from the time the device was released. Never used that data so I haven't noticed it myself. Some reviews on Amazon from way back in 2011 already then note this fault.

Possible. Device work very fine, this is only trouble with Etrex 30 after use for more than a year. During hiking/mountaineering, data

about total ascent/descent is very important. I will try to contact Garmin support in UK again.