eTrex 20/30 software version 2.80

eTrex 20/30 (Webupdater) software version 2.80

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5553

Changes made from version 2.70 to 2.80:

Added ability to sort waypoints alphabetically

Improved GPS response at low speeds

Improved ability to clear unit settings on power up: now only requires menu key and enter key to be held when powering the unit on

Improved size of roads drawn on map in 'automotive mode' orientation

Improved elevation data stored in track logs (etrex 30)

Fixed issue that was causing some devices to display a 'memory full' message followed by bad device behavior

Fixed issue with distance to destination data field

Fixed occasional overlapping of data fields in the elevation application

Fixed issue where waypoints and geocaches could be lost

Any tips on how to install the software? I tried plugging in the eTrex 20 and using the link, but it says I have to use "My Dashboard" to install it. This is a web page, and it says "Software Updates - Your recommended software is up-to-date.". There's no option to update the software anyway, so I can't change it from the current 2.70.

I got the option to update the firmware from inside Basecamp (after I'd been prompted to install a Bascamp update). However, from past experience I'd prefer to download the new firmare and install it by copying to the sd card. That way if things go wrong I can just restart with the card removed.

Anyone have a link to the firmware so I can install manually?

Any tips on how to install the software? I tried plugging in the eTrex 20 and using the link, but it says I have to use "My Dashboard" to install it. This is a web page, and it says "Software Updates - Your recommended software is up-to-date.". There's no option to update the software anyway, so I can't change it from the current 2.70.

Try the WebUpdater http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

I got the option to update the firmware from inside Basecamp (after I'd been prompted to install a Bascamp update). However, from past experience I'd prefer to download the new firmare and install it by copying to the sd card. That way if things go wrong I can just restart with the card removed.

Thanks for the link. The new update seems to have helped the sticky compass at slow speed.

Update applied. Unfortunately, the severe startup issues have not yet been fixed. The device still says that the route does not match the available maps on a map it is loading in the startup at the same time, it still tells me I am arriving at waypoints I am nowhere near and it forgets the destination after a power cycle (showing --- - --- -- ---) as the destination.

LOL! Now the device has decided that it wants a certain point as goto (a nearby train station) everytime it is power cycled. Doesn't matter if I cancel the goto or set another point, this train station is the specific goto after every power cycle!

Hard reset, now it just forgets the goto again. Btw, map drawing again seems improved speed wise.

Edit: "Sticky GOTO" is now back! This behavior is actually worse than in previous versions as "Recent Finds" also now doesn't seem to work properly, either (the most recent goto is not at the top of the list).

Edited by tr_s

I'll send you a PM, as I am not sure if we are allowed to post direct links to the gcd file.

Tr_s, that's the funniest problem you've reported to date.

It's obvious Garmin is targeting you for problems (or testing new features, like GPS flatulence), and nobody should have to put up with that. You should return your eTrex to vendor, or donate it to a jumble sale, or smash it with a hammer. Anything to get rid of it - and go buy something else.

Edited by user13371

I'll send you a PM, as I am not sure if we are allowed to post direct links to the gcd file.

Got it thanks. Didn't have time to test today as the first time I switched on with a new gpx file it got half way then froze. When I eventually restarted it the caches I was planning to find didn't appear in the search results so I came home. On trying again when I got home the caches now appear. Maybe tomorrow...

Since it's actually a kinda working device I'm sparing it from the hammer. But getting another GPS soon I am and passing this to the drawer. Maybe I'll try it again in a year when the firmware has hopefully matured up a bit. (The hardware seems not faulty as I have managed to replicate the problems on other devices. And they are typical of bad software design.)

Since it's actually a kinda working device I'm sparing it from the hammer. But getting another GPS soon I am and passing this to the drawer. Maybe I'll try it again in a year when the firmware has hopefully matured up a bit. (The hardware seems not faulty as I have managed to replicate the problems on other devices. And they are typical of bad software design.)

I doubt that I'll want to attempt to replicate the problems, but it seems odd that you have this trouble and others don't. Surely you simply have a duff unit? I haven't noticed any of that behaviour.

I doubt that I'll want to attempt to replicate the problems, but it seems odd that you have this trouble and others don't. Surely you simply have a duff unit? I haven't noticed any of that behaviour.

Fairly certain because I have observed the same behavior on three other eT 20/30 units by my own eyes. Several other people in here (Chefrd2000 and gjhiker are names that come to mind), also several Amazon reviews have noted similar behavior. So if it is a series problem, then it is far more widespread than a little dud batch of units that found their way to Sweden.

Anyway. Not caring more about this now. I've now surely written well over 100 posts about the 20/30 issues. I would put my money on that a large portion of these devices are having problems that can be purely traced to bad software design and that's that.

... I have observed the same behavior on three other eT 20/30 units by my own eyes. Several other people in here ... also several Amazon reviews have noted similar behavior...

Conducting a somewhat wide survey...

- Amazon.com has 82 combined reviews for the eTrex 10/20/30, and they are decidedly mixed. Some folks love the thing and some hate it. The complaints that exist range over a wide number of issues, not just the ones you reported. REI.com has 14 reviews for the e20 and 4 for the e30, and they are more favorable than Amazon.com.

- Geocaching.com's own review page has 555 users rating eTrex 20, and 756 for the eTrex 30. Both sets of reviews average 4 stars out of a possible 5. There are actually several times more users who claim to OWN those devices - over 7000 combined - but not everyone who fills in that item on their GC.com profile bothers to rate the product.

The larger data set suggests the issues you're having are not as widespread or having as much impact as you think. Forum denizens aside, you're far more likely to hear from someone who has a complaint than those who don't. The vast majority of happy customers won't bother to say "mine's working fine" unless you ask them.

In case anyone is interested - mine's working fine.

Edited by user13371

Fairly certain because I have observed the same behavior on three other eT 20/30 units by my own eyes. Several other people in here (Chefrd2000 and gjhiker are names that come to mind), also several Amazon reviews have noted similar behavior. So if it is a series problem, then it is far more widespread than a little dud batch of units that found their way to Sweden.

I don't doubt you, but surely if it is a software problem then as I'm using the same software it follows that I should get the same problem.

I don't doubt you, but surely if it is a software problem then as I'm using the same software it follows that I should get the same problem.

My final addition to this thread and comment on this is: not certain at all, remember that configurations can differ: different maps and memory cards. And User13371 yes you are somewhat right, but I think it's likely to be my perhaps exotic usage scenario that makes this device disappointing to me, it might well be so that the majority of users see those bugs as insignificant.

...my perhaps exotic usage scenario that makes this device disappointing to me...
You could be on to something there. How is your usage scenario different from the other geocachers or users at large?

-edit to add, I just noticed you called that "last addition to this thread" ... feel free to fire up another thread if you feel like it.

Edited by user13371

My final addition to this thread and comment on this is: not certain at all, remember that configurations can differ: different maps and memory cards. And User13371 yes you are somewhat right, but I think it's likely to be my perhaps exotic usage scenario that makes this device disappointing to me, it might well be so that the majority of users see those bugs as insignificant.

So, what you are saying tr_s is that issues like "farting noises" are perhaps more of a problem to your "exotic usage scenario" than to us plebeian users? <_<

I just upgraded from 2.6 to 2.8 and used my eTrex 20 this last weekend.

My observations:

1) It still locks up when autorouting if you miss a turn but I have only noticed this happening when you have it set to the "active route" page.

2) My wife's Garmin 60cx is also used and we compare odometer readings after a hike. Up until now, the 60cx has always showed about 10% more mileage at the end of a hike than my eTrex 20. After a hike in the mountains this weekend, the eTrex 20 showed 20% more mileage on the odometer than the 60cx. Based on what others had claimed for the mileage for that hike, the 60cx was closer to the actual mileage. Not sure why there was such an extreme mileage difference. We'll have to use it for more hikes.

3) No problems with finding caches with it or with any slow response at slow speeds.

... I have observed the same behavior on three other eT 20/30 units by my own eyes. Several other people in here ... also several Amazon reviews have noted similar behavior...

Conducting a somewhat wide survey...

- Amazon.com has 82 combined reviews for the eTrex 10/20/30, and they are decidedly mixed. Some folks love the thing and some hate it. The complaints that exist range over a wide number of issues, not just the ones you reported. REI.com has 14 reviews for the e20 and 4 for the e30, and they are more favorable than Amazon.com.

- Geocaching.com's own review page has 555 users rating eTrex 20, and 756 for the eTrex 30. Both sets of reviews average 4 stars out of a possible 5. There are actually several times more users who claim to OWN those devices - over 7000 combined - but not everyone who fills in that item on their GC.com profile bothers to rate the product.

The larger data set suggests the issues you're having are not as widespread or having as much impact as you think. Forum denizens aside, you're far more likely to hear from someone who has a complaint than those who don't. The vast majority of happy customers won't bother to say "mine's working fine" unless you ask them.

In case anyone is interested - mine's working fine.

Mine also. Love the pocket queries with paperless caching.

I tried out my 30 with the 2.80 firmware at the weekend. It performed pretty much as badly as it always has - on one 5 mile section of walk I needed to recalibrate the compass 5 times. It froze once whilst trying to load hints - I had to remove a battery to switch it off. When I switched on it remembered the cache and was able to load the hint.

I found 25+ over the day so performance wasn't too bad when the annoyances weren't happening.

Luckily I now recognise when the compass has frozen so notice it fairly quickly and can take action. I'll be sending it back after this weekend.

Not sure if this has been an issue with the eTrex 20 all along, but one thing I have noticed recently that drives me nuts is that when I stop moving, the pointer on the Geocaching dashboard points in some other direction away from the cache when I am not moving.

That's because it doesn't know which way you will be heading, or where you are going. It is not a magnetic compass, it depends on movement to give a heading.

Not sure if this has been an issue with the eTrex 20 all along, but one thing I have noticed recently that drives me nuts is that when I stop moving, the pointer on the Geocaching dashboard points in some other direction away from the cache when I am not moving.

That's because it doesn't know which way you will be heading, or where you are going. It is not a magnetic compass, it depends on movement to give a heading.

That makes sense.

I guess I expected it would simply keep the pointer pointing in the same direction I had been moving until I moved again, then it would readjust.

That makes sense.

I guess I expected it would simply keep the pointer pointing in the same direction I had been moving until I moved again, then it would readjust.

Bear in mind that do to effects of the ionosphere the signals are perturbed. Although WAAS does correct to some extent, if you plotted the course it would look like the GPS is moving around while you stay still. This apparent motion affects the compass and will cause it to move around a bit. The magnetic compass in the 30 is not affected in this manner because at rest the unit is using the magnetic compass and not the GPS compass.

Garmin's lifetime map update ALSO updates your software version - and it does not require the Microsoft NET software :-) (I cannot get the latter to work on 3 PCs)

my eTrex20 is now at V2.8 thanks to the above approach

http://www.garmin.com/lifetimeupdaterGarminMapUpdater.exe

Garmin seems to have a lot of function overlap in the software offerings

Garmin link appears to be not working

Garmin's lifetime map update ALSO updates your software version - and it does not require the Microsoft NET software :-) (I cannot get the latter to work on 3 PCs)

my eTrex20 is now at V2.8 thanks to the above approach

http://www.garmin.com/lifetimeupdaterGarminMapUpdater.exe

Garmin seems to have a lot of function overlap in the software offerings

Garmin link appears to be not working

reposting the link

"http://www8.garmin.com/support/lifetime_updater.html"

note - the FORUM software was not displaying all the characters in the link - I don't know why = so I put it inside a pair of quotes

its there

or just Google it using Garmin lifetime updater

Edited by kiwi_outdoors

That makes sense.

Have you tried stopping and not moving the gps at all? Typically when one stops you turn around and look around or move your hands or any of a number of things all of which move the gps. So while you are not taking steps toward ground zero, the gps is likely still in motion, albeit a chaotic movement.

Which is why we bough the 30, 3 axis compass=a followable arrow, even at low speed, now it works :)

Which is why we bough the 30, 3 axis compass=a followable arrow, even at low speed, now it works :)

Funny.. My 20 under 2.80 has a VERY stable pointer. Even when the distance to cache is fluctuating and the map is moving around under heavy cover. I'm impressed with 2.80.

ok well i desided to get rid of my oregon 450 and get me a etrex 30...first let me start by saying about 4 years ago i had a etrex vist hcx and it was the best dadgum gps i ever had...i just wanted something more so i went with the oregon 450 cause rei had a sale 2 years ago where i picked up the 450 for 199 bucks...ok back to the problem...i just got my etrex 30 and came home and uploaded the version 2.80 software and then proceeded to put in all my options the way i like things...this etrex 30 is a real sweet gps it has all the bells and whistles as the oregon but the 30 has a smaller screen which isnt to bad...ok i had the unit powerd off and i had the screen flash white like it powerd on real fast and then it was gone..it happend for like a split second...i thought i was buggin out so i sat the unit in front of me and sure enough it happend again...i contacted garmin and they had me do a master reset and reload the software again which didnt do anything..so since i had the unit for 4 days i went back to rei and got another one...ok i came home yesterday and i did the same thing i did when i got my first one...i downloaded the software version 2.80 and programmed the gps to the way i like it...i turned the unit off and placed it right in front of me and just stared at the dadgum gps saying to myself this thing better not flash on real fast...not 30min later it frigin flashed on...the screen just flashes real fast all white like when you hit the powere button you see the sceen flash white then it proceeds to power up,thats what the unit does it just flashes real fast...has anybody had this happen to them....i contacted garminbeta but they have not got back to me yet....so i just downloaded version 2.73 and the gps doesnt flash at all....their seems to be a problem with the version 2.80 at least for me their is...if you want to see if you device has this problem just put the gps around you and keep a eye on the screen...i cant believe that it happend on 2 brand new units...like i stated before i downloaded the version 2.73 and it has not happend yet....SO PLEASE GUYS ALL OF YOU WITH THE ETEX 30 WHO ARE RUNNING THE 2.80 PLEASE CHECK OUT YOUR DEVICES AND SEE IF THEY FLASH ON REAL QUICK WHILE POWERD OFF...LET ME KNOW

Edited by BELOVED07

I think you'll find this isn't a defect, but is probably caused by having your device set to record the barometric trend even when turned off. I noticed this on mine. If you dig into the Altimeter settings in the Setup menu, and have Pressure Trending set to "Save Always" instead of "Save When Power On" it causes it to happen. At least, it does on mine... :-)

What I think happens is that the unit has to power up very briefly in order to capture the barometer reading, and as it powers up you get the display flash thing going on. I found it a bit irritating so have set mine to "Save When Power On" unless I really need to know what the barometric pressure is up to.

I'll be interested to know if this is the cause on your device - even if you didn't deliberately set it that way.

ok guys you have to hear me out...I DONT THINK YOU GUYS ARE GETTING WHAT IM SAYING...when the unit is powered off ok the unit is off....it flashes on with the all white screen real fast when the unit is powered off...i think rambling bear hit it on the head i have my unit to trend pressure always and i think it just powers up real fast thats why i get the flash to get the reading of the pressure...the all white screEn when you turn the device on is not a problem guys...i am having that all white screen flash on when my unit is powered off thats what im saying...im going to download he 2.80 software again and turn the pressure trending to just trend when powered on...i hope this is the issue...although i do have 2.73 on their right now and i have pressure to trend always and it never once while powered off seen the screen flash on real quick...THE UNIT WHEN YOU TURN ON BY HITTING THE BUTTON FLASHING THAT WHITE SCREEN IS NOT A PROBLEM GUYS....IM HAVING THAT FLASH HAPPEN TO ME WHEN MY UNIT IS OFF

Edited by BELOVED07

I think you'll find this isn't a defect, but is probably caused by having your device set to record the barometric trend even when turned off. I noticed this on mine. If you dig into the Altimeter settings in the Setup menu, and have Pressure Trending set to "Save Always" instead of "Save When Power On" it causes it to happen. At least, it does on mine... :-)

What I think happens is that the unit has to power up very briefly in order to capture the barometer reading, and as it powers up you get the display flash thing going on. I found it a bit irritating so have set mine to "Save When Power On" unless I really need to know what the barometric pressure is up to.

I'll be interested to know if this is the cause on your device - even if you didn't deliberately set it that way.

RAMBLINBEAR YOU ARE THE MAN...THANK YOU SO MUCH....YOU ARE RIGHT..THE SCREEN DOES FLASH ON EVEN THOUGH THE UNIT IS POWERED OFF WHEN THE TRENDING IS SET TO TREND ALWAYS..THE OTHER GARMIN UNITS DONT DO THIS AT ALL...AND I WENT BACK TO REI AND GOT A NEW GPS CAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS A PROBLEM...JUST FOR THE RECORD GUYS IF YOU SET THE PRESSURE TO TREND ALWAYS EVEN WHEN POWERED OFF THE UNIT WILL FLASH ON EVEN THOUGH IT IS POWERED OFF....CRAZY PART OF THE WHOLE ORDEAL IS THAT GARMIN CUSTOMER CARE HAS NO CLUE THE GPS DOES THIS......WOW

You might have been one of the first people to report it to Garmin; how many folks look at their GPS when it's powered off? :D It's also possible that they (like me and a few other responders here) "didn't get" what you were saying.

It is a funny thing though. How often does it flash? Every few seconds? Every minute?

Edited by user13371