Android - Offline Cache View?

kunarion

I have an Android tablet, which is NOT connected to a data service. It doesn't load cache pages while in the field. I have to load them in advance of the trip...

And decided to go find some of the Multis and Puzzle caches I've been avoiding. I didn't feel like printing them out or never got around to it, and some have forms to fill out. “A = __, B = __, now solve the formula by substituting letters for the correct numbers, place the numbers in the appropriate spots in the grid and add __, to get your coords”. Stuff like that. I'm gonna do it this time!

What's the best way to save a cache description with all its photos and forms, to do a Puzzle or Multi? I've already done “save page” in Android Browser. Although I haven't tested the saved pages offline, they seem to be a pretty good alternative to a bunch of paper print-outs, except that I can't write on the pages. Unless there's a better way, I'll save them one at a time using Android Browser (I only need a handful for a day of caching, since these are in no way park-and-grabs).

I saved a page “as a PDF” in Firefox, and the photos are solid black, so that's definitely out. I have “Cache Sense Demo”, “Neon Geo”, and “Geocaching Official App” -- can any of those save an intact cache description page for offline view, embedded images and all?

I have an ANDROID phone (MyTouch 4G) with the official app installed.

There is a puzzle close by that is basically (I guess) a picture puzzle. Check it for yourself, it's GC36G0C.

When online, the description is a picture, and after saving the cache to an offline list, I see the same image after setting the phone to 'Airplane Mode' (no WIFI or cell radio usage).

Since plain text is almost certainly displayed, I'd say you would be good-to-go using the official app. Of course a little testing on your part done BEFORE a critical situation would be a good thing.

I have an ANDROID phone (MyTouch 4G) with the official app installed.

There is a puzzle close by that is basically (I guess) a picture puzzle. Check it for yourself, it's GC36G0C.

When online, the description is a picture, and after saving the cache to an offline list, I see the same image after setting the phone to 'Airplane Mode' (no WIFI or cell radio usage).

Since plain text is almost certainly displayed, I'd say you would be good-to-go using the official app. Of course a little testing on your part done BEFORE a critical situation would be a good thing.

That didn't work with this one: GC1AVYR

I had the misfortune (or good luck?) to make that one the first one I tested. Saved to "Offline List", and the key image isn't there. I wonder what I did wrong with that one? The other 8 that I tried (including another that has an image hosted on Photobucket) seem OK. Maybe I did something wrong with the first one.