find a good iphone app

KrillKat

I just started geocaching about a week ago. We are only doing 'easy' caches so we can learn. We found our first 3 that we attempted which was so exciting. Of the next 5 we only found 2. I am using the free version of GCTools for the iphone4. We put in the coordinates manually. I am a bit overwhelmed by some of the information I have read in the forums and am wondering if anyone can recommend an iphone app that is user friendly and works well?

We also read all the hints and made sure to only look for easy caches that had been logged within a week or two. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I just started geocaching about a week ago. We are only doing 'easy' caches so we can learn. We found our first 3 that we attempted which was so exciting. Of the next 5 we only found 2. I am using the free version of GCTools for the iphone4. We put in the coordinates manually. I am a bit overwhelmed by some of the information I have read in the forums and am wondering if anyone can recommend an iphone app that is user friendly and works well?

We also read all the hints and made sure to only look for easy caches that had been logged within a week or two. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

For the iPhone, you really can't go wrong with the official app. It's expensive for a mobile app, but it's worth it. Keep in mind, though, that using a different app will make absolutely zero difference with your accuracy. If that's what you're looking for, you won't find it. The accuracy is a limitation of the GPS device in your phone (as well as that of the hider), not the app you're using.

Just remember that the coordinates will only bring you close to the cache location. It won't be very often that you'll find the cache at the exact spot your device says 0. Once you get within about 30 feet, stop looking at the device and start using your eyes. Like you already mentioned, the hint can be very helpful, but don't forget the description, title, size, difficulty and terrain ratings. All of these can contain information and/or clues that might help narrow down the hiding spots you need to search.

Edit to add: Welcome and good luck!

Edited by The A-Team

I use Geobucket, I am also a premium member- so I can download the full descriptions , I think you can only do 3/day without the membership. you can also use filters to show only the cache types/ratings/size etc that you want to show on the satellite image.

anyways - 95% of the time the app gets me really close to GZ- the only time I have a problem is when the weather is cloudy , etc. but with a baby and a 4 year old we have to stick to the fairly easy caches anyways.

To be honest I find the official app a bit flakey and it frequently locks up while performing the 'find local caches' (which is pretty much the only way I use it). I also found that needing a mobile data signal was a very limiting factor as signal can be non existent in many areas I cache in. It also means I can't use it abroad as I don't have data roaming, and don't want to pay for it !

I stumbled across an app called Geosphere and was rather synical about it initially, but I have found it fantastic. I think it was less than a fiver, but can't recall exactly.

You have to download geocaches to it in order to use the app, it does not work 'live' like the official app (as far as I am aware), but you can load in individual caches or download your pocket queries directly into the app via wifi or 3G. It also loads sections of google satellite imagery that are around the cache locations. This means that you can then use this app whether you have 3G signal or not and you still have satalite mapping even when offline.

You need a Groundspeak membership to make the most of it as I think it would be much less useful without the ability to download pocket queries into it. It's very slick how you open the Groundspeak website within the app and it 'sucks in' the data from your pocket queries - no messing with file saving and copying into your device etc etc. I have built pocket queries and downloaded them into the app all while out in the field (literally).

I still use my gps, and have a Birdseye subscription as I like the satellite imagery, but this app is very slick if you are just caching casually, rather than going out on a planned trip. Particularly useful if you find yourself in an area you didn't expect to and therefore didn't prep your gps.

Best of all there is a very clear tutorial video which shows you how to do all the basic functions. You can watch the videos without buying the app here.

http://www.gbhometech.com/Geosphere/Videos.html

You can get a good preview of the app from the video and see if it is for you.

I'm honestly not associated with this app whatsoever, just keen that other people get to see it as I think it is a great bit of work. Being able to use it without a mobile data signal was the biggest plus for me and I have used it extensively in the U.S. by loading the pocket queries I need in via wifi in my hotel and then heading out.

Hope this is some use, sorry to ramble on !

To be honest I find the official app a bit flakey and it frequently locks up while performing the 'find local caches' (which is pretty much the only way I use it). I also found that needing a mobile data signal was a very limiting factor as signal can be non existent in many areas I cache in. It also means I can't use it abroad as I don't have data roaming, and don't want to pay for it !

Which kind of iPhone do you have? If your app is freezing/locking up when searching, then I'd recommend a delete and reinstall as that's not normal behavior.

As for your other issues, they can be solved by pocket queries and using it offline. You just download your PQs into you app (they are already there) and run the app offline, just like geosphere.

I have geosphere also, but find the official app far more superior.

Edited by JesandTodd

For the iPhone, you really can't go wrong with the official app. It's expensive for a mobile app, but it's worth it. Keep in mind, though, that using a different app will make absolutely zero difference with your accuracy. If that's what you're looking for, you won't find it. The accuracy is a limitation of the GPS device in your phone (as well as that of the hider), not the app you're using.

Just remember that the coordinates will only bring you close to the cache location. It won't be very often that you'll find the cache at the exact spot your device says 0. Once you get within about 30 feet, stop looking at the device and start using your eyes. Like you already mentioned, the hint can be very helpful, but don't forget the description, title, size, difficulty and terrain ratings. All of these can contain information and/or clues that might help narrow down the hiding spots you need to search.

Edit to add: Welcome and good luck!

I have several geocaching apps on my iPhone, two of them worth mentioning here:

1.: iGCT Pro. I use it to do all kinds of calculations on coordinates. The results of a calculation are stored internally and can be used in following calculations easily. This means no need to write down and round off coordinates, all precision is kept, which *does* lead to a more accurate end result. It can plot the coordinates directly on a map so you have a visual feedback of what you're calculating.

2.: GCBuddy. The specialty of this app is that you can enter coordinates of waypoint with clues (A, B, C). As you solve parts of the caching puzzle, and enter the values for the clues, the waypoints are automatically updated. In GCBuddy, you can download the complete description of a cache from Geocaching.com, and all waypoint values etc. are automatically entered in the app's tables.

I use both apps for different tasks. You should decide on your own workflow after getting some experience with the apps.

And happy caching to you!

daScientist

Edited by daScientist

I use C:geo its free, holds offline content and you can even pop pocket query's onto it.

Great program, you can also log on the go, with or without the web. so you can conserve batteyry life, and when you are near a wireless network, then download/upload the logs in full.

love it!