Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lampac1

How to teach a class at local 4-H Camp?

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could provide me with tips and advice on how to teach geocaching at a 4-H camp. It is my second year teaching it but i did not do so well my first year. Anything would help.

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could provide me with tips and advice on how to teach geocaching at a 4-H camp. It is my second year teaching it but i did not do so well my first year. Anything would help.

For the basic idea? I would show them the quick two min video on the homepage.....for more hands on I would hide caches throughout the camp micros, regulars, ect...give them coords and allow them to go find them.....

i would also like to know if a hide-a-cache starter kit would be a good idea

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Camps and Outdoor Adventures forum.

I work with other camps and schools teaching geocache 101 classes and what I like to do is hide 5 geocaches just for the event (not posted) I teach the kids basic instruction about the gps and I give each student a piece of swag and explain to them they can keep this or trade throughout the day so they can get the hang of trading. Then we split into groups (size depending on how many students and how many helpers I have found) I like to do 4-5 kids per group if possible. Try not to get to technical or you will loose them right away there more into finding the treasures.

I teach 3,000 10 year olds how to geocache each school year. I skip 'swag' because it's impossible to provide it in a residential, public school, camp setting. Not to mention, the 'toys' that would be distracting them the rest of the week. I use a chart in their journal. They have to read a short educational paragraph and answer a simple question to prove they were at the location. BUT wait, there's more... To prevent dishonesty, there is also a craft hole punch to punch a shape into their journal as proof. BUT that got expensive since I'm up to 35 caches on campus, so I switched to bingo daubers. They come back with 10 different color daubs on their chart in their personal journal. Cheap and I don't have to refill anything to repeat the lesson later that day.

Need more info or advice? Message me. I've been doing this for five years. If I can help someone avoid the trial and error I lived, I'd be more than happy to share.