Geocaching.com site update June 6th 2012

Wow! Now I'm getting slammed by this login nonsense. I'm getting logged out if go and make a sandwich and come back 20 minutes later. I don't even have to close the browser.

I try to stay patient and respectful in all my affairs but this is really testing me. You ignore the functionality that we ask for, you give us fluff,(garbage), features that no one asks for and when you do so, you somehow manage to break some essential part of the website. The kicker is, you do it month after month, year after year, with no end in sight.

Don_J, are you selecting the "Keep Me Sign In" checkbox when logging in? If so, do you have your browser set up to allow cookies?

ertyu, we are showing that you have successfully logged in 46 times since we released the latest update. Please try clearing your browser cache.

Don_J, are you selecting the "Keep Me Sign In" checkbox when logging in? If so, do you have your browser set up to allow cookies?

Yes and yes. Sorry to be so cranky. Thing is, I have never been forceably logged off except for a few times immediately after a site update. I've stayed logged on for over a year at times. After I wrote my message, I logged on and it's been good since. It even survived a Firefox browser update and restart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, by you, I didn't mean you personally. You have always been helpful, which is appreciated

Edited by Don_J

Yes and yes. Sorry to be so cranky. Thing is, I have never been forceably logged off except for a few times immediately after a site update. I've stayed logged on for over a year at times. After I wrote my message, I logged on and it's been good since. It even survived a Firefox browser update and restart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Also, by you, I didn't mean you personally. You have always been helpful, which is appreciated

Just an update. Came home from caching and fired up the browser and I was again logged off. I deleted the cookie and we'll go from there. I guess I failed to mention that I was fine after the last two updates, but then logged off to switch users. It has been acting up since.

XPSP3

Firefox 13 (auto-updated last night from 12)

ok, Groundspeak, look I understand that you are trying to make geocaching more social.

I get it. It's being shoved everywhere that it can. And that's not a bad thing. But you have to realize that not everyone is as socially connected as the next person.

but for the love of all things holy, can we PLEASE add an option to show or hide these widgets when you add them in on our settings/profile/account page, like was done with the 'recently viewed caches' widget?

If you just did that, when you added a new feature, if people loved it, AWESOME! they'd use it. If they didn't want or weren't able to use it, then they could turn it off.

Problem solved.

That being said, I'm going to probably GM this one off. I'd prefer to just turn it off in my settings as I don't want every cache I log in my twitter, and I don't have facebook, so all that is doing is sucking down wasted bandwidth that could be used for someone else.

That being said, I'm going to probably GM this one off. I'd prefer to just turn it off in my settings as I don't want every cache I log in my twitter, and I don't have facebook, so all that is doing is sucking down wasted bandwidth that could be used for someone else.

It'll still suck some extra bandwidth, since GM or ABP will both still download everything, then delete it. I used to do all this with GM, but find ABP faster and easier to use for blocking items with ID.

Now you have me wondering - is FF smart enough to not download images it is not going to display? I think that for GM scripts it still does, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Chrysalides

Share Cache Logs with Facebook and Twitter

In this release we have added a widget to the log confirmation page that allows you to quickly connect and share cache logs to your Twitter feed and Facebook wall.

0KXK8.png

I've tried clicking the "No Thanks" link, but it just takes me back to the cache listing and the widget is still there the next time I view a log. Is this supposed to hide the widget? If not, what IS its function? I've chosen not to link my account to Facebook or Twitter, so I'd rather not have to look at a useless widget every time I view a log. Yes, I know it's at the bottom of the page, but why have it if I've chosen I don't want it? If it's there just to remind us that we can link the accounts, a small "Connect to your Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to share with your friends" link would work just as well without being as intrusive.

Minor, so please fix the other bugs first. Bug fixes should always come before tweaks or additions.

PLEASE HOW TO PERMANENTLY REMOVE THIS ADVERTISING for F....Book ? Unfortunately, I cannot use Gresemonkey under IE :-(

Hmmm, lots of talk about the site not remembering logins, but nothing about speed. The response time on my end has slowed to a snail's pace since the upgrade. I click on a cache and it takes 30 seconds or more until I'm able to scroll down to look at the logs. Is it just me?

Your support for Mozilla Firefox is terrible broken. Login works with konqueror or if I change the user agent identy to something else. But if there is the string "Firefox" in the user agent, gc.com login is screwed up.

Looks like some overclever web programmer where at work without testing what they are doing. Please fix this ASAP again.

I'm no longer seeing the distance from home coordinates on cache pages....anybody else?

I think it moved. It's over to the right of the coordinates, below the state/country.

You know, I checked about 20 different cache pages before posting this, and now I see it there!! Figures!

So many broken features and missed promises. I truely would like them to make a list of broken features and stort fixing them. A couple updates for fixing what is broke and what needs to done to accomplish the promises would be very welcomed. The latest broken feature is the missing "Map this Location" link on search results.

Agree. I think the problem comes from some decision maker at Groundspeak deciding to prioritize revenue / membership generating features over fixes and enhancements.

Do you (not being just you but all who constantly gripe about every update) really believe that or just spouting off? If you do, why do you remain? I do not get it, why torture yourself, there are many other hobbies in life than one that constantly causes you such suffrage????

Wow! Now I'm getting slammed by this login nonsense. I'm getting logged out if go and make a sandwich and come back 20 minutes later. I don't even have to close the browser.

I try to stay patient and respectful in all my affairs but this is really testing me. You ignore the functionality that we ask for, you give us fluff,(garbage), features that no one asks for and when you do so, you somehow manage to break some essential part of the website. The kicker is, you do it month after month, year after year, with no end in sight.

LastPass is your friend?

Do you (not being just you but all who constantly gripe about every update) really believe that or just spouting off? If you do, why do you remain? I do not get it, why torture yourself, there are many other hobbies in life than one that constantly causes you such suffrage????

Suffrage - that word, I don't think it means what you think it means. And while we're at it, "torture". Really? No one here claims that geocaching, or the site, is causing them physical pain. Do we not have the right to be unhappy over what we perceived to be Groundspeak's lack of attention to our concerns? We're not fanboys. We don't think everything Groundspeak dishes out is manna from heaven.

I only speak for myself, but yes, I do believe that Groundspeak prioritizes revenue generating features over fixes and other types of enhancements. I do not think it is wrong of them to do so, but feel that they should also put more effort into features that would keep existing customers happy.

Why do I remain?

1) No viable competition if I want to geocache

2) I'm not ready to geocide

3) Not too difficult to work around what I don't like about the site

Suffrage - that word, I don't think it means what you think it means. And while we're at it, "torture". Really? No one here claims that geocaching, or the site, is causing them physical pain. Do we not have the right to be unhappy over what we perceived to be Groundspeak's lack of attention to our concerns? We're not fanboys. We don't think everything Groundspeak dishes out is manna from heaven.

I only speak for myself, but yes, I do believe that Groundspeak prioritizes revenue generating features over fixes and other types of enhancements. I do not think it is wrong of them to do so, but feel that they should also put more effort into features that would keep existing customers happy.

Why do I remain?

1) No viable competition if I want to geocache

2) I'm not ready to geocide

3) Not too difficult to work around what I don't like about the site

+10

Thanks for the reply, better than I could have said. I don't mind the revenue generating features, but get frustrated when these features have bugs that are not fixed release after release. It is not the bugs that frustrate me, heavens knows I have written buggy software, but the it is the lack of not fixing them. A good example is ever since the smartphone apps have been introduced folks outside of the US have had problems with the dates of their logs because of time zone issues. The comments continually come up. Apparently there is no interest on the part of Groundspeak to fix the problem. That is frustration.

A good example is ever since the smartphone apps have been introduced folks outside of the US have had problems with the dates of their logs because of time zone issues. The comments continually come up. Apparently there is no interest on the part of Groundspeak to fix the problem. That is frustration.

That is wildly inaccurate. As I've posted numerous times, the issue is not a simple one involved a little "bug fix"; it is a systemic database issue stemming from back when Geocaching.com was a baby and that will require many man-hours and much engineering to correct.

A good example is ever since the smartphone apps have been introduced folks outside of the US have had problems with the dates of their logs because of time zone issues. The comments continually come up. Apparently there is no interest on the part of Groundspeak to fix the problem. That is frustration.

That is wildly inaccurate. As I've posted numerous times, the issue is not a simple one involved a little "bug fix"; it is a systemic database issue stemming from back when Geocaching.com was a baby and that will require many man-hours and much engineering to correct.

So I guess the answer is it will not be fixed.

I guess this is not really relevant to this thread, but since the phones know what time zone they're in, why not have the app adjust the time, instead of doing a fix from the database side that would be a lot more involved?

The phones know, but the problem lies with how we then handle the millions of already-logged timestamps, especially those made from the web site which have since day 1 always been given a timestamp of noon on the day selected in the drop-down, regardless of when or where they were logged. Meanwhile, the WAP site has always given logs a timestamp of midnight on the day selected. Then, you have to factor in that all of those timestamps are interpreted as being Seattle time, while logs made through the API are timestamped with the phone's local time.... Simply put, it is a mess, and there is no clear-cut way to easily adjust the quarter of a billion logs from various sources that have already been posted.

Simply put, it is a mess, and there is no clear-cut way to easily adjust the quarter of a billion logs from various sources that have already been posted.

That would be one huge mess to fix, yeah. But are new logs from the phone apps fixed? Thought that was what jholly was referring to, sorry, my bad. I knew I had some date issues with phone logging from late last year, and have avoided doing that since.

here a few drawbacks of the new version. didn't find improvements:

- annoying facebook and twitter ads and links. I am socializing on geocaching.com to escape facebook and twitter! well, they are gone to the share market now and will crash shortly, now they've made the money!

- link iconization in the log: in the log window, there used to be the out-written links 'edit log', 'delete log' and 'upload picture', which were replaced by icons. drawbacks: 1. while the former links could be easily accesses by beginning to type 'edit' and return key, now i have to hover the mouse pointer over them. 2. the delete icon s very dangerous, since they do not specify on that screen, what will be deleted. recently, i intended to delete a picture, pressed this button and almost deleted my lengthy written log!

Hi!

No, we haven't changed how we handle logs from phones yet as we don't want to add another variable to the mix that we would need to account for when we implement the overarching changes.

Could it be you're talking about 2 completely different things?

I live in Germany and what I don't like THAT much is that the default date always is based on PST and not on MY time zone. And I guess that THIS would be an easy fix and doesn't relate to any databse changes at all...

Bye,

Christian

I'm having trouble logging in. On the /login/default... page it always fails. From the front page it's working.

I'm having the same problem. I'm from Manitoba like ertyu.

Although I can't seem to log in from any page.

I tried with Google Chrome under Ubuntu 10 and Firefox under Windows 7. Neither worked, either at the front page or the login/default... page

I have the same problem on my iPhone because on iPhone the only way to log in is this page, so now on 70% of my visits to the site I can't see what I need because can't log in.

No, we haven't changed how we handle logs from phones yet as we don't want to add another variable to the mix that we would need to account for when we implement the overarching changes.

Could it be you're talking about 2 completely different things?

I live in Germany and what I don't like THAT much is that the default date always is based on PST and not on MY time zone. And I guess that THIS would be an easy fix and doesn't relate to any databse changes at all...

If I understand Moun10Bike correctly, he meant that there's already so many different ways the time is recorded in the logs, even though the app can easily change it again to work around the current problem, Groundspeak does not want to introduce yet another way the time is recorded, so that in the future, when they fix the database side, there is one less format to worry about.

As a developer I disagree with the approach, but I am not an employee of Groundspeak and it is not up to me to fix this, so what I think is not important at all.

spacefox, did you by any chance recently change your password?

I didn't change it, but I'm having the same issue on iPhone

Can you check your Safari settings and make sure that you have "Private Browsing" set to "OFF"?

Is off and accepting cookies

Can you check your Safari settings and make sure that you have "Private Browsing" set to "OFF"?

Have you purged your existing cookies?

Have you purged your existing cookies?

I did it and now is working again

Thanks!