Geocaching.com site update June 6th 2012

Read the last update's Release Notes

Share Cache Logs with Facebook and Twitter

In this release we have added a widget to the log confirmation page that allows you to quickly connect and share cache logs to your Twitter feed and Facebook wall.

0KXK8.png

Release Notes

• Improved sharing functionality (Facebook and Twitter) for cache logs and modified the account settings page to allow quick linking/unlinking

• Added new API partners Tracky, BikeAtor, and TB-Scanner to /Live

• Fixed “Follow Us” navigation item to properly link to Groundspeak’s Facebook page

• Fixed bug in cookies which forced some users to re-login in after closing their browser even when “remember me” option is checked

• Updated copy on iPhone application page to include 4 and 4S iPhones

VoLms.png Geocaching Live API Beta

The beta launch of the Geocaching Live API continues!

fQFKM.png

Tracky

Tracky supports reliable track recordings, various online and offline (free) maps and extensive search options to find addresses, businesses, nearby tracks, photos and other Points Of Interest, and ... Geocaches! Try Tracky for free by installing the trial version TrackyTry or the easy to use Compass app.

IS3Bw.png

BikeAtor

BikeAtor is a multiplatform tool for Online/Offline Maps and Geocaching. It supports different Maps, GPX-Import, GPX -Logging, download of Geocaches for a region and many other features.

kImOn.jpg

Minz Geocoin Shop

Minz Geocoin Shop provides a web application with tools supporting Trackable collectors. The TB-Scanner tool helps you create a custom profile map of Trackables you have logged, and TB-Logger allows you to "discover" multiple Trackables at one time.

Any idea when the Google maps are going to be fixed so we can close the info balloon by clicking anywhere? Every map application I have ever used works that way except Groundspeak. Yes even version 3 of Google maps. I would have found that more useful and practical instead of some useless farcebook crud. Some of the 3rd party app look like they might be worth looking at.

I'm missing the "Map this location" link above the list of geocaches near a location... Has it gone or is that just me?

It's not just you. It's there in the source but does not show up on the page. Seamonkey (latest) on Windows 7, with JavaScript enabled.

Edited to add: also does not show up in IE9.

Edited by msrubble

I would have found that more useful and practical instead of some useless farcebook crud.

Agreed. I'd much rather see half-completed features be completed rather than getting new functionality that nobody asked for in the first place. Some of the things still to be completed or promised a long time ago and still to materialize:

-Completion of corrected coordinates

-New pocket query form

-New GPX schema

Are these actually going to happen, or have they become vaporware?

Hi Raine,

We are looking into this issue.

-Raine

another issue still exists for me (using FF 12.0 on Windows 7 x64):

Map -> Default Google Map

1. I chose a PQ and let it be shown on the map

2. I click on the "Search" button and it shows all the caches again, BUT the ones from the PQ still are visible with their big icons even if zoomed out quite far.

Can only be reset by reloading the full page.

It works just fine with the Leaflet maps!

Bye,

Christian

I'm missing the "Map this location" link above the list of geocaches near a location... Has it gone or is that just me?

It's not just you. It's there in the source but does not show up on the page. Seamonkey (latest) on Windows 7, with JavaScript enabled.

Also confirmed with FF12 and FF13. The "Map this Location" and "New Search" links are there, but not visible.

Tried to see if it was the same in all the browsers I have (IE, FF, and Chrome) and was the same. However it seems the "button" is there but just "hidden". I found the spot and clicked and it did link me to the results map.

Must be a glitch.

In this release we have added a widget to the log confirmation page that allows you to quickly connect and share cache logs to your Twitter feed and Facebook wall.

0KXK8.png

I've tried clicking the "No Thanks" link, but it just takes me back to the cache listing and the widget is still there the next time I view a log. Is this supposed to hide the widget? If not, what IS its function? I've chosen not to link my account to Facebook or Twitter, so I'd rather not have to look at a useless widget every time I view a log. Yes, I know it's at the bottom of the page, but why have it if I've chosen I don't want it? If it's there just to remind us that we can link the accounts, a small "Connect to your Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to share with your friends" link would work just as well without being as intrusive.

Minor, so please fix the other bugs first. Bug fixes should always come before tweaks or additions.

Also not showing in Chrome.

Unbelievable! A feature that has been there for I don't know how long is now gone. Wonder how many updates this will take to get fixed.

I've tried clicking the "No Thanks" link, but it just takes me back to the cache listing and the widget is still there the next time I view a log. Is this supposed to hide the widget? If not, what IS its function? I've chosen not to link my account to Facebook or Twitter, so I'd rather not have to look at a useless widget every time I view a log.

+1

I just wanted to write nearly the same as you before I saw your post.

I'd welcome to be able to switch off this annoying Facebook/Twitter garbage on each log page and no thanks does not work for me either.

Cezanne

I would have found that more useful and practical instead of some useless farcebook crud.

Agreed. I'd much rather see half-completed features be completed rather than getting new functionality that nobody asked for in the first place. Some of the things still to be completed or promised a long time ago and still to materialize:

-New pocket query form

-New GPX schema

+100

So many broken features and missed promises. I truely would like them to make a list of broken features and stort fixing them. A couple updates for fixing what is broke and what needs to done to accomplish the promises would be very welcomed. The latest broken feature is the missing "Map this Location" link on search results. I think the frog really needs to refill that Ritalin prescription.

So many broken features and missed promises. I truely would like them to make a list of broken features and stort fixing them. A couple updates for fixing what is broke and what needs to done to accomplish the promises would be very welcomed. The latest broken feature is the missing "Map this Location" link on search results.

Agree. I think the problem comes from some decision maker at Groundspeak deciding to prioritize revenue / membership generating features over fixes and enhancements.

So many broken features and missed promises. I truely would like them to make a list of broken features and stort fixing them. A couple updates for fixing what is broke and what needs to done to accomplish the promises would be very welcomed. The latest broken feature is the missing "Map this Location" link on search results.

Agree. I think the problem comes from some decision maker at Groundspeak deciding to prioritize revenue / membership generating features over fixes and enhancements.

If that's the case, maybe it's time they bite the bullet and raise the PM cost so they can stop worrying about money and get back to making the site work. Yeah, I know Jeremy said they'd never do it, but realistically they'll have to do it at some point. Can you imagine them trying to run this site 20 years from now, still charging only $10? What are they going to do, charge $50 per TB tag? :o Or maybe this will be "Facebook Geocaching™ powered by Google and Microsoft, with thanks to Nike, Coca-Cola, and Ford". That would generate some revenue!

Edited by The A-Team

0KXK8.png

I've tried clicking the "No Thanks" link, but it just takes me back to the cache listing and the widget is still there the next time I view a log. Is this supposed to hide the widget? If not, what IS its function? I've chosen not to link my account to Facebook or Twitter, so I'd rather not have to look at a useless widget every time I view a log. Yes, I know it's at the bottom of the page, but why have it if I've chosen I don't want it? If it's there just to remind us that we can link the accounts, a small "Connect to your Facebook and/or Twitter accounts to share with your friends" link would work just as well without being as intrusive.

Minor, so please fix the other bugs first. Bug fixes should always come before tweaks or additions.

Heh, Heh, I knew there was a reason I use GSAK for logging.

My Map this location is still not there. I have logged off and even shut down my computer and brought it back up. I am getting really tired of this. They keep doing little "fixes" that makes other things worse.

My Map this location is still not there. I have logged off and even shut down my computer and brought it back up. I am getting really tired of this. They keep doing little "fixes" that makes other things worse.

Try doing a hard refresh (ie. CTRL-F5) and/or clearing your browser cache.

I'm having trouble logging in. On the /login/default... page it always fails. From the front page it's working.

I'm having the same problem. I'm from Manitoba like ertyu.

Although I can't seem to log in from any page.

I tried with Google Chrome under Ubuntu 10 and Firefox under Windows 7. Neither worked, either at the front page or the login/default... page

I'm having trouble logging in. On the /login/default... page it always fails. From the front page it's working.

I'm having the same problem. I'm from Manitoba like ertyu.

Although I can't seem to log in from any page.

I tried with Google Chrome under Ubuntu 10 and Firefox under Windows 7. Neither worked, either at the front page or the login/default... page

I'm not seeing this. What happens when you try? Does it give any error message?

When I first heard about the Facebook update I loved it. Then I tried it and hated it. I like being able to login with Faceobok, but I hated the generic status updates. Especially when I would go on a caching run and all my posts would look the same (and take up a lot of space on my timeline). Now I love it again. I had suggested early on that the Facebook update included the text on the log... I'm glad to see it does now.

Thank you Groundspeak. Keep up the great work!

-New pocket query form

-New GPX schema

Agreed. Please keep this site about geocaching and fix the problems here.

I can't log in either have tried resetting my password and that doesn't work.

same problem here - unable to log in - worked fine an hour ago

Was able to finally log in from the front main page log in screen ONLY. Whats up with that?

Hi,

0KXK8.png

Use GreaseMonkey or ABP to get rid of this annoying widget. Works perfectly for me. To be honest, I didn't try the `No thanks` button because i did not expect it working correctly.

Regards

Huh. The little mini-map on a cache page below "Navigation" has the +/- zoom buttons. Is that new?

I think they are. I had never seen them there until you mentioned it.

I might be suffering from old-timers, but I think they were there before this update.

Huh. The little mini-map on a cache page below "Navigation" has the +/- zoom buttons. Is that new?

I think they are. I had never seen them there until you mentioned it.

I might be suffering from old-timers, but I think they were there before this update.

Possible. I rarely look at that map, so they could have been there for some time.

When I first heard about the Facebook update I loved it. Then I tried it and hated it. I like being able to login with Faceobok, but I hated the generic status updates. Especially when I would go on a caching run and all my posts would look the same (and take up a lot of space on my timeline). Now I love it again. I had suggested early on that the Facebook update included the text on the log... I'm glad to see it does now.

Thank you Groundspeak. Keep up the great work!

My thoughts exactly. It took a couple of attempts before they got it right.

Most of my Facebook friends don't geocache, so they filtered out the old posts as Facebook Fluff. Now they can see what Geocaching is all about and maybe try it out themselves. Or at least enjoy the stories.

It also encourage me to complete the experience with proper logs. None of that TFTF nonsense.

Hi,

Use GreaseMonkey or ABP to get rid of this annoying widget. Works perfectly for me. To be honest, I didn't try the `No thanks` button because i did not expect it working correctly.

Regards

How do you do that? Thanks.

Use AdBlock Plus, go to Filter Preferences, select Element Hiding Rules group (if you don't have one, create it). If you don't see a filter to the right, click on Actions and select Show / Hide Filters.

If you can see the filters on the right, click on "Add Filter" button, and enter :

geocaching.com#div(id=sharing_container)

Continuing to have issues logging in. This is happening across many different machines and platforms. Even though I have the "Keep Me Signed In" checked when successfully logging in, I usually have to login again on my next visit. Logins on /login/default.aspx continue to fail. When they fail there is no error message or notice posted, I'm simply returned to the login page without anything changing.