Diving platforms/Sprungtürme

I am a bit ambiguous about it; maybe I start getting old . But I am not against them, as long as you don't require to use them before posting. :huh:

Some things to consider:

How do you want do deal with the duplication of Public Swimming Pools and Beaches?

What about other structures that are used to dive into the water like cliffs or bridges? Many of them are much more spectacular than plain platforms but it is not always legal to use them.

...How do you want do deal with the duplication of Public Swimming Pools and Beaches?

What about other structures that are used to dive into the water like cliffs or bridges? Many of them are much more spectacular than plain platforms but it is not always legal to use them.

Thanks for your answer.

No problem with the duplication of Swimming Pools and Beaches. I'm an officer in the Beaches categories and pictures of diving platforms are very rare.

The goal is finding diving platforms and waymark it. (Perhaps we could restrict it to platforms higher than 9ft.)

I like them and it would be nice to know where they are.

Only platforms which are built for jumping into the water are allowed. If there is such a construction on a cliff, waymark it.

Regards,

lumbricus

The goal is finding diving platforms and waymark it. (Perhaps we could restrict it to platforms higher than 9ft.)

I would make it higher than 9 feet only because standard diving boards are 1 meter and 3 meters (thus slightly over 9 feet)

Fascinating examples!!

There would be very, very few of these in the U.S. I think. Probably none in Korea. That's okay. (Both countries are the center of the world in the minds of the people who live there).

I would seriously consider limiting the category to platforms NOT associated with a swimming pool, however. It is not that cross-posting is bad, but it would really dilute the category with a lot of common swimming pools. Although the category would be much smaller with such a restriction, it would be richer and more unique. Something to consider at least.

I believe that is should be mandatory for the waymarker to make a jump. Otherwise how could he (or she) fully describe the experience?

Is there a bungee jump category?

Well, sure, on the first line of the grid is where bungee sites can be found!

I don't have a waymark there, yet. (Korea has some sites, so I'll have to get there. Doubt that I'll jump, though.

I do have a new one to post for the zip line - and, yes, I participated! Wheeee!

We do have a few Waymarking categories that require some sort of participation, other than "game" type categories. Festivals comes to mind as well as Agricultural Fairs - at least attendance enough go get photos of the event in progress. And, Sit-by-me Statues, of course.

And, in view of Nik Wallenda's recent feat, I suggest a participatory category for tight rope walking across waterfalls, rivers, gorges, etc.

Description:

“A diving platform or diving tower is a type of structure used for competitive diving. It consists of a vertical rigid "tower" with one or more horizontal platforms extending out over deep water. In platform diving, the diver jumps from a high stationary surface. The height of the platforms - 10 metres (33 ft), 7.5 metres (25 ft) and 5 metres (16 ft) - gives the diver enough time to perform the acrobatic movements of a particular dive. Most platforms are covered by some sort of matting or non-slip surface to prevent athletes from slipping.” Wikipedia

Expanded Description:

Any diving platform/diving tower with a MINIMUM hight of 16ft (5 metres) may be included.

If you have any question about the suitability of any particular location for this category, please contact an officer.

Instructions for Posting a Diving Tower waymark:

NAME: This naming convention MUST be followed:

Name Location – City, State, Country

Examples:

Diving Tower Vita Alpina – Ruhpolding, Bayern, Germany

Diving Tower Lake Shannon – Concrete, WA, USA

1. Personally obtained GPS coordinates. These should be taken as near to the tower as possible. (You don’t have to climb on the tower!)

2. At least 2 personally taken photos. One should show an overview of the tower and the water the other should show a detail picture of the tower. Multiple photos are encouraged to give as much of an overview as possible. Please do NOT include your GPSr in any photo!

3. A good description of the waymark with as much background as possible. Do a little research to make your waymark a valuable contribution to the category.

Instructions for Visiting a Waymark in this Category:

Describe your visit (Did you jump?), including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery.

Variables:

-Type of water [Man-made (public swimming pool) or natural(Lake, Sea)]

-Hight

-Opening hours

-Admission price

-Website

I still think that locations at swimming pools should be excluded since there is a category of long standing for swimming pools.

Why limit the category for diving platforms used for competitive diving? I'm sure there are those that are for just recreational use.

While I think that a height restriction is necessary, these measurements might be difficult to obtain.

I think platforms in pools should not be included, they are widespread and industrial mass production, look the same all over the world. But I would like to see other diving spots like rocks or bridges, as long as they are established and legal. They are often much more spectacular and picturesque.

A while ago I saw a book that described the 50 most spectacular platform diving sites in Switzerland (or so, I don't remember exactly). Hardly any of the sites were lower than 20 meters (~60 ft.) and none of the sites was created for this purpose; some bridges and a lot of cliffs.

Peer review -> Now :grin:

This category idea is not 100% redundant, like it's written in the peer review.

We have many public pools here in South Bavaria, every little town has one, but no one has a diving platform. Lets say, 100 or 200 public pools and perhaps 2 or 3 diving towers.

I'll fix the hight mistake soon.

We are accepting also diving structures/spots (bridges, cliffs,...) as long as they are legal.

Perhaps this category is not as informativ as some plaque categories but it's fun. (Yes Ian, you have to jump for posting a new waymark)

Thanks,

-lumbricus

(Yes Ian, you have to jump for posting a new waymark)

Thanks,

-lumbricus

I can't tell if you are serious or joking. If you are joking, then fair enough. If you are serious, that in order to post a diving platform waymark you have to actually jump from the platform, then this must be included in the category description in peer review.

Can you clarify?

Edited by Max and 99