Suggestion: Ignore list still defies logic

Delta68

If I add a cache to the Ignore List, it's usually because I don't want it included in a Pocket Query

If I click on someone's profile and then click on 'Geocaches Owned' it's because I WANT to see their cache listings; yet they are not visible

Why would anyone not want to see something they go looking for?

Perhaps a 'show/hide ignored caches' option is required here

If I click on a pocket query while viewing the map, ignored caches are displayed! :blink: Other PQ options seem to work. Why not this one?

Thanks

Mark

If I add a cache to the Ignore List, it's usually because I don't want it included in a Pocket Query

If I click on someone's profile and then click on 'Geocaches Owned' it's because I WANT to see their cache listings; yet they are not visible

Wow, I didn't believe you so I had to go try it for myself. I'm stunned that they don't show up when viewing a list of someone's hides. This seems like a really poor decision. I can't think of any reason why someone would not want to see ignored caches when viewing the list of someone's hides. They show in lists of finds, but not in lists of hides. Whoops, my mistake, they don't even show up in lists of finds!

Edited by The A-Team

Perhaps a 'show/hide ignored caches' option is required here

If I click on a pocket query while viewing the map, ignored caches are displayed! :blink: Other PQ options seem to work. Why not this one?

Thanks

Mark

Additionally, you get notifications on them if they meet the rest of the criteria. This is the last thing that I would expect. If I am ignoring a cache, I sure don't want to be notified that people are finding it.

Additionally, you get notifications on them if they meet the rest of the criteria. This is the last thing that I would expect. If I am ignoring a cache, I sure don't want to be notified that people are finding it.

That sounds correct to me though

Surely, you only get notifications if

1. The cache is on your watchlist
  2. It's on a bookmark list for which you've requested notifications
  3. You own it!

There are caches (tough puzzles etc) which I have on the ignore list to remove them from PQs but I still have them on the watchlist to see who finds them

Mark

That sounds correct to me though

Surely, you only get notifications if

1. The cache is on your watchlist
  2. It's on a bookmark list for which you've requested notifications
  3. You own it!

There are caches (tough puzzles etc) which I have on the ignore list to remove them from PQs but I still have them on the watchlist to see who finds them

Mark

Found logs on caches within 2 miles of my coordinates, through the Notification System. I guess, depending on your needs, it could go either way, but I would prefer not to get email on them. That is one of the reasons that I ignored them. Perhaps a "Not on my Ignore List", on the Notifications, like on the PQ page?

I can see why you would want it if you specifically added it to your Watchlist or a watched Bookmark list.

Found logs on caches within 2 miles of my coordinates, through the Notification System

Right! I see what you mean now. :)

I've never used the notification system like that. I've only ever use it for Publish Listing :rolleyes:

Mark

It's a good way to see when new cachers hit the scene and maybe help them out if necessary. I also help my friends out and check on their nearby caches if I start seeing funny logs.

In general, I have to agree with this post. It does not make sense to hide caches when viewing someone's profile, or to show them by default on the map (should, however, be an option to view them)

Here I'd have to disagree, I think, at least in part. Wouldn't you want to know if an ignored cache was archived? Maybe if it was disabled or moved?

Many years ago, users were insistent that they wanted to be able to completely ignore certain caches. Groundspeak provided that opportunity with the 'Ignore List'. Perhaps a bit fatalistic in concept, but Here It Is: If you want to ignore certain caches, put them on your Ignore List, and you'll never see them again! The only place you'll ever see them again is on your Ignore List! That's what users asked for. That's what users got! So what's the problem here? The Ignore List is for completely, and forever ignoring caches! (Except if you look at your Ignore List.) If you only want to ignore them today, then don't use the Ignore List! That's not what it's meant for. It's meant for ignoring them forever! (Or: Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.)

I use the Ignore List for all cemetery caches (since I do not like them), and for caches by users with whom I have had unpleasant experiences. My only problem with the Ignore List is that it does not list the CO's name. If CO apologizes profusely for insulting me, there is no way to find all of his caches easily to remove them from the Ignore List. (Not that that has ever happened!)

So, it seems to me that the problem here is people misusing the Ignore List. It is a final, and permanent list! Ignore forever! That's what it was set up for, and that is it's purpose.

If you want to ignore certain caches, put them on your Ignore List, and you'll never see them again! The only place you'll ever see them again is on your Ignore List! That's what users asked for. That's what users got! So what's the problem here? The Ignore List is for completely, and forever ignoring caches! (Except if you look at your Ignore List) .

The one exception I'm aware of is Pocket Queries. There's a check box for "Are not on my ignore list". If you check that box, caches on your Ignore List are omitted from the Pocket Query results. However, if you don't check that box, the Pocket Query will include any caches on your Ignore List.

I'm a big believer in the Ignore List; mine currently includes almost 800 caches. Normally when I set up a Pocket Query, I check the "Are not on my ignore list" box. However, if I'm planning to go caching with another cacher or a group of cachers, I'll leave that box unchecked. The other cacher(s) might really want to go after one of the caches on my Ignore List, and I'll normally go along for the ride. Unless it's a tree-climber, which I don't indulge in anymore....

--Larry

! That's what users asked for. That's what users got! So what's the problem here? The Ignore List is for completely, and forever ignoring caches! (Except if you look at your Ignore List.) If you only want to ignore them today, then don't use the Ignore List! That's not what it's meant for. It's meant for ignoring them forever! (Or: Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.)

Yup....once I send a cache to the ignore list, I intend to be done with it forever. Forever and ever. I never want to see the cache again.

I think I have 2 or 3 caches on my list? And for just the reason you say above.

If sending a cache to my ignore list makes them invisible and nonexistent, ...then GS is doing its job.

Yup....once I send a cache to the ignore list, I intend to be done with it forever. Forever and ever. I never want to see the cache again.

I think I have 2 or 3 caches on my list? And for just the reason you say above.

If sending a cache to my ignore list makes them invisible and nonexistent, ...then GS is doing its job.

But like I said, it's inconsistent. They still show on the map.

I add caches to the ignore list so I can exclude them from PQs and I suspect this is the main reason for most people.

Why would being able to see them on someone's Owned Caches list be a problem?

There is a prolific puzzle cache setter within my '1000 closest to home' area. I am working through the puzzles slowly but 99% of the time I don't need them clogging up PQs and there is no other way to exclude them. I DO want other puzzle caches in the area so using cache type isn't an option.

I still want to be able to see them if I look at his profile though.

Mark

Many years ago, users were insistent that they wanted to be able to completely ignore certain caches. Groundspeak provided that opportunity with the 'Ignore List'. Perhaps a bit fatalistic in concept, but Here It Is: If you want to ignore certain caches, put them on your Ignore List, and you'll never see them again! The only place you'll ever see them again is on your Ignore List! That's what users asked for. That's what users got! So what's the problem here? The Ignore List is for completely, and forever ignoring caches! (Except if you look at your Ignore List.) If you only want to ignore them today, then don't use the Ignore List! That's not what it's meant for. It's meant for ignoring them forever! (Or: Be careful what you ask for. You may get it.)

I use the Ignore List for all cemetery caches (since I do not like them), and for caches by users with whom I have had unpleasant experiences. My only problem with the Ignore List is that it does not list the CO's name. If CO apologizes profusely for insulting me, there is no way to find all of his caches easily to remove them from the Ignore List. (Not that that has ever happened!)

So, it seems to me that the problem here is people misusing the Ignore List. It is a final, and permanent list! Ignore forever! That's what it was set up for, and that is it's purpose.

Not to be a Party Pooper Dolphin, but ignored caches did actually show up in the list of a CO's hides, and in the list of other people's finds from 2005, when the ignore listing feature was implemented, until 2010. :ph34r:

I just remembered that because the OP here tried to bump a 2010 thread yesterday, and that didn't work out so well. :P It appears from post #10, they only want to see ignored caches while looking at a CO's list of hides. A moderately reasonable request I supppose, we were able to do it for over 5 years. But I'll tell you what, if they have 250 features they say "OK", and are going to implement, I'll bet you it ranks #250. :huh:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

In general, I have to agree with this post. It does not make sense to hide caches when viewing someone's profile, or to show them by default on the map (should, however, be an option to view them)

Here I'd have to disagree, I think, at least in part. Wouldn't you want to know if an ignored cache was archived? Maybe if it was disabled or moved?

For the record, I absolutely do get archival notices on ignored caches. All the time actually. If I'm ignoring them, they're usually pretty bad caches. :laughing:

That was a joke, C'mon. Anywho, count me among those who didn't even know you could get notifications of all local caches such as Don is doing. Never even saw that option, nor ever thought there would be such a thing.

There is a prolific puzzle cache setter within my '1000 closest to home' area. I am working through the puzzles slowly but 99% of the time I don't need them clogging up PQs and there is no other way to exclude them. I DO want other puzzle caches in the area so using cache type isn't an option.

I still want to be able to see them if I look at his profile though.

Mark

Well, I don't know how many PQ's you run a day. If you run the maximum every day, this method probably won't work for you. What I do with puzzles is set up a bookmark for solved puzzles (and other mystery caches...night caches, field solve puzzles,etc). Anytime I solve a puzzle, I add it to the bookmark and then schedule that bookmark to run a PQ once a week. That way I have my solved puzzles ready to load and I can exclude the puzzle type when I run another PQ.

Also, you can create a query just for puzzle types but never enable it. It will auto-update itself as puzzles are added or archived. I use that to scroll through whenever I feel like trying to solve a puzzle.

Anywho, count me among those who didn't even know you could get notifications of all local caches such as Don is doing. Never even saw that option, nor ever thought there would be such a thing.

I didn't know that, either. I might have to try that out. I live just outside of a geocaching beehive so it's always interesting when someone shows up in my town to find caches.