Pocket Query techniques

fox-and-the-hound

I usually consider myself pretty good at figuring these things out, but I'm stumped now. How can I remove all the caches that need maintenance from a pocket query search? Or can I at all short of using GSAK?

Not all caches in need of maintenance have been identified. But check off Is Enabled and select the NM icon out of Attributes to Exclude (Click to include/exclude certain attributes.) Best you can do.

4311ddf7-d222-4c35-8ea4-1598cf940172.png

Owners and reviewers put caches in disabled mode when there are issues and the cache shouldn't be searched. These should definitely be excluded if you're looking for viable caches.

The Needs Maintenance attribute is a little trickier. If a seeker thinks that the cache Needs Maintenance (even for a full log book), they post a NM log, which triggers the NM attribute. Removing the NM Attribute requires either an owner or a reviewer (and I don't know that many reviewers remove the attribute). The problem is that many owners don't bother to remove (or don't know HOW to remove) the attribute once they've done maintenance, so you may be missing out on some viable and well-maintained caches.

I set up some pre-filled features in GSAK to analyze the pocket query results after they come in. If I'm going to an unfamiliar area and want to get a list of maintained caches, I weed out caches that have the last two finds as DNF and restrict it to having at least 3 icon_smile.pngs in the last 5 logs.

Thanks everybody! I always use the Enabled variant, but I wasn't aware that the needs maintenance attribute would be triggered without the cache owner doing so manually. Honestly, I didn't even know it was among the possible attributes since I'm willing to tackle any attribute (and have the means to do so) so never give more than a passing glance to double-check if there are any hour restrictions for parks, etc.

I'll try this and run the same query I had previously and compare the results. Good stuff everyone, thanks!

Owners and reviewers put caches in disabled mode when there are issues and the cache shouldn't be searched. These should definitely be excluded if you're looking for viable caches.

The Needs Maintenance attribute is a little trickier. If a seeker thinks that the cache Needs Maintenance (even for a full log book), they post a NM log, which triggers the NM attribute. Removing the NM Attribute requires either an owner or a reviewer (and I don't know that many reviewers remove the attribute). The problem is that many owners don't bother to remove (or don't know HOW to remove) the attribute once they've done maintenance, so you may be missing out on some viable and well-maintained caches.

I set up some pre-filled features in GSAK to analyze the pocket query results after they come in. If I'm going to an unfamiliar area and want to get a list of maintained caches, I weed out caches that have the last two finds as DNF and restrict it to having at least 3 icon_smile.pngs in the last 5 logs.

As a side note, because of the reminder that is part of the new cache submission process, a lot of our local cachers are removing the attribute on a lot of caches that were fixed long ago.

Edited by Don_J