Garmin basecamp fury!

hi,

I’ve recently purchased an Oregon 450, seems nice enough but basecamp has been a pig to get to grips with. Can anyone point me in the right direction with these issues / misconceptions?

•  
    • The only way to get caches into basecamp is to run a pocket query from gc.com, as the built in garmin search doesn’t list all caches? I’m not sure I get pocket queries but this would mean setting it up and waiting for the email to tell you it’s ready for download. Download, import and you are good to go. Doesn’t this make it hard to have the latest cache info if you are popping out and want to snag a few caches. What about updating existing caches? Or deleting them, what would happen to the routes?
    • If you are routing footpaths then the only choice is to select direct navigation and edit as required. Fair enough.
    • If you are routing multiple caches basecamp will only display the GC code in the route details – making it REALLY hard to reorder the route i.e. in a town.
    • Cannot add multiple caches / waypoints to an existing route.
    • One last thing... I check the screen, ok on the right route, great, how do i quickly turn off the screen? Oh no I can’t I have to lock it, on, and wait for it to go dim after a while, but not off?! Surely not?

I’m sure a lot of this is a RTM thing, but I’ve found it incredibly frustrating to get going with this software!

John

As a premium member, if you don't "get" pocket queries, you're missing out on about 90% of the value of your premium membership.

That said, Basecamp does bite - dog slow, and amazingly enough - short on some of the old MapSource features (Basecamp is what Garmin tried to use to replace MapSource in order to support Birdseye). I find that for routing and the like, I'm still finding MapSource a lot more efficient. Bouncing back and forth between Garmin and OSM maps (the latter for foot traffic mostly), I can get the job done. I think that MapSource can still be downloaded from Garmin if you can turn up the link.

Oh, and I use GSAK every week, too, but it won't do any routing for you. For that, you'll still need to look at MapSource or (sorry) Basecamp. However, I massage my lists using filters, etc., and send the caches to my GPS with GSAK.

As a premium member, if you don't "get" pocket queries, you're missing out on about 90% of the value of your premium membership.

That said, Basecamp does bite - dog slow, and amazingly enough - short on some of the old MapSource features (Basecamp is what Garmin tried to use to replace MapSource in order to support Birdseye). I find that for routing and the like, I'm still finding MapSource a lot more efficient. Bouncing back and forth between Garmin and OSM maps (the latter for foot traffic mostly), I can get the job done. I think that MapSource can still be downloaded from Garmin if you can turn up the link.

Oh, and I use GSAK every week, too, but it won't do any routing for you. For that, you'll still need to look at MapSource or (sorry) Basecamp. However, I massage my lists using filters, etc., and send the caches to my GPS with GSAK.

There is a very good macro that GSAK users can get at the link below:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=20548&st=0entry148301

I have use it extensively and it is very easy to use.

Jim