Missing Geocache from stats?

I found a geocache, got my number up to 81, and when I got home from vacation and logged in I saw that it had gone down to 79. The one's I found recently were there so I couldn't figure out which one it was.

Found another, and I am POSITIVE my number was 80. I logged in this morning and saw my total count to be 79. I don't know if someone is deleting my old finds, but anyway to check which one it was? All my stats says I've only found 79 to date, but I know for sure my number was at 81 and then 80 the second instance.

Being someone that is excited to get to #100, this is very frustrating and is turning me off of geocaching unfortunately. Any tips?

I found a geocache, got my number up to 81, and when I got home from vacation and logged in I saw that it had gone down to 79. The one's I found recently were there so I couldn't figure out which one it was.

Found another, and I am POSITIVE my number was 80. I logged in this morning and saw my total count to be 79. I don't know if someone is deleting my old finds, but anyway to check which one it was? All my stats says I've only found 79 to date, but I know for sure my number was at 81 and then 80 the second instance.

Being someone that is excited to get to #100, this is very frustrating and is turning me off of geocaching unfortunately. Any tips?

From the Help Center:

When a log is deleted, the owner of the log receives an email that generally looks like this:

[LOG] Log Deletion Notice

Your log entry for the listing Name of Listing (Cache Type) was deleted

by User Name at Date and Time

Visit this listing at the below address: listing URL

Profile for Deleting User: user profile URL

If you did, in fact, have a log deleted you have received an email message. It's also possible that an email message was sent but you have a spam filter that is blocking the message.

If you use the iphone app to log, all of the "sent" logs are still recorded there (select the "Logs" tab, then the "Sent" Tab) You could use this to compare. If you use the website mostly, check your profile and all the "recently viewed" to see if you can use that list to figure out what is not showing. I have no idea what could have happened, but maybe by using these comparisons, you can find out what is missing.

Good luck,

Pat

Is it at all possible that when you logged your find and hit the "submit" button you didn't wait long enough for the page to load properly? Or maybe had your internet connection timed out? I've had that happen to me once or twice.

Other than that, I would guess a cache owner might have deleted one of your logs. As others have said, check your emails and especially your junk/spam folder.

Do you log by phone?*

It could be that you've logged a 'Found' twice (or more!) on a cache/s.

The Cache Owner may be deleting duplicate 'Founds' BUT. You should get a 'Deleted Log Notice' by email.

*Or, have you re-visited a cache, and logged another 'Found' on it?

Edited by Bear and Ragged

On your stats page, under caching chronology, it should tell you how many caches you've found and in parenthesis it should tell you how many unique ones you've found. If your found caches is greater than your unique ones, then you've logged the same one more than once.

Do you log by phone?*

It could be that you've logged a 'Found' twice (or more!) on a cache/s.

The Cache Owner may be deleting duplicate 'Founds' BUT. You should get a 'Deleted Log Notice' by email.

*Or, have you re-visited a cache, and logged another 'Found' on it?