GPS for overseas

I am looking for a GPS unit to take with me to Europe (I live in Canada) as I travel this summer. I have just used my iPhone for caching around home, but I understand that not all GPS units will have maps of other countries/continents. I travel for my job and would love to cache while I have free time, but this means finding a unit that can be used worldwide.

How does this all work? I have been told that you can buy and load maps onto the GPS device, but can you do this with ALL devices? Someone told me Magellan doesnt have this capability?

I am wondering - What is the best GPS for this purpose? I would like to spend as little money as I can. $200 CDN is about my maximum. Would it be best to wait and buy it in Europe when I get there (assuming that the European maps will be standard)? I live in a very small town and NO ONE has any info, so anything would be helpful, Thanks!!

If your phone will work overseas, you can probably find maps for it. Otherwise, you should probably add a little more information about what you plan to do with the GPSr. Do you plan to use it to give you driving directions? What countries do you plan to visit. If you buy a GPSr in Canada and you want to use it for driving you should probably pay for a set of maps that cover where you want to go (which will probably blow your 200CDN budget). If you are just hiking/cacheing you may be able to get away with free maps.

Edited by seldom_sn
I am looking for a GPS unit to take with me to Europe (I live in Canada) as I travel this summer. I have just used my iPhone for caching around home, but I understand that not all GPS units will have maps of other countries/continents. I travel for my job and would love to cache while I have free time, but this means finding a unit that can be used worldwide.

Last I checked the earth is a sphere, so the same satellites circling overhead in Canada also go over Europe. Since the whole point of GPS was for the US military to put bombs down chimneys, like in Iraq, seems GPS would work anywhere on the Blue Marble.

As to maps, Google can find anything.

Okay, so a bit more information, if it helps...

I work on a cruise ship and will be mostly in Italy, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, Malta, and Montenegro this summer. I am also frequently in the Caribbean and United States.

I will not need street maps as I plan on just doing caches within walking distance or a short cab ride.

I do not already have a GPS - I am looking into getting one because my iPhone does NOT work in Europe.

I understand that the unit will WORK in other countries, I am just concerned about the map information on the units and if I will have to purchase additional maps. If so, how much are they? or can I find free ones online?

Thanks for the link to OpenStreetMaps, phlatlander. I will definitely look into it. I was wondering where you downloaded maps and this answers that...

So anyhow, I hope that helps. Sorry for being so vague in my first post!

I work on a cruise ship and will be mostly in Italy, Greece, Croatia, Slovenia, Malta, and Montenegro this summer. I am also frequently in the Caribbean and United States.

I will not need street maps as I plan on just doing caches within walking distance or a short cab ride.

I do not already have a GPS - I am looking into getting one because my iPhone does NOT work in Europe.

I understand that the unit will WORK in other countries, I am just concerned about the map information on the units and if I will have to purchase additional maps. If so, how much are they? or can I find free ones online?

Thanks for the link to OpenStreetMaps, phlatlander. I will definitely look into it. I was wondering where you downloaded maps and this answers that...

The Magellan eXplorist come with a Worldwide Basemap which will given you a good quality map no matter where you go. However, you can also add additional maps to these units and Alex and Maps4me has an incredible number of maps for these units covering all of Europe and if their is an additional map you need, just ask him and he will produce it. Also, you can use MOBAC to create your own image maps for Europe. Magellan also sells these units in Europe with European maps on them, if you're interested in finding out more about purchasing the Magellan maps please email me at Zukicacher@gmail.com and I give the GIS department and call and see how you would go about it.

David

Magellan Insider

OpenStreetMaps is actually the world. We are traveling to Hungary for a Danube cruise so on my Garmin Oregon 550 I have already installed maps of Hungary, most of Germany, Czech Republic, Northern Italy, most of Italy, all of England (from TalkyToaster), and city maps of Budapest and Prague. I also have all of Mexico, Cuba, Aruba and Barbados - all from OpenStreetMaps.

OpenStreetMaps is actually the world. We are traveling to Hungary for a Danube cruise so on my Garmin Oregon 550 I have already installed maps of Hungary, most of Germany, Czech Republic, Northern Italy, most of Italy, all of England (from TalkyToaster), and city maps of Budapest and Prague. I also have all of Mexico, Cuba, Aruba and Barbados - all from OpenStreetMaps.

AFAIK, OpenStreetMap does not provide maps for Magellans, and the site Phlatlander posted was to the mapping site, not the site that provides GPSr maps. This site only provides free maps for Garmins.

Edited by seldom_sn

I'd expect your iPhone would still work if you're using it for Wifi. To use it as a phone you'd need international roaming set up, and you'd also need a fairly large bank balance to pay your bill at the end of your trip especially if you're downloading a lot of data.

If you're going to be somewhere where you can get a wifi signal you can probably continue to use your iPhone, especially if you can download a bunch of map tiles over wifi and then use them once you leave the wifi connection behind.

Otherwise, if you're hiking and want to stay cheap you can probably pick up a used Garmin 60CSx and put maps from OSM on it. I wouldn't use them for driving but if you're just walking they should be fine for you.

on a side note, there is a cache event in Tuscany on July 1st. in Certaldo just near Florence. If it works into your schedule it might be fun to meet some of the local cachers. I do not have the GC code off hand.

I am going to be using my Magellan 710 and plan to load the magellan map of European city streets

on a side note, there is a cache event in Tuscany on July 1st. in Certaldo just near Florence. If it works into your schedule it might be fun to meet some of the local cachers. I do not have the GC code off hand.

I am going to be using my Magellan 710 and plan to load the magellan map of European city streets

Thanks for the info! I won't be around those parts at all unfortunately :( good to know though! Thanks!

Better check if your phone will work in Europe. From Canada it is not obvious.

Yeah, I talked to the Telus guy today. I need to get my phone unlocked which he said should cost me around $50. Then there is the cost of a Euro SIM card plus whatever plan I pay for. And since I already have a Euro cell phone (albeit a very primitive one), it allows me to do what I need it to do and is a pay as you go... plus then I wouldn't get a shiny new GPS! haha.

Yeah, I talked to the Telus guy today. I need to get my phone unlocked which he said should cost me around $50. Then there is the cost of a Euro SIM card plus whatever plan I pay for. And since I already have a Euro cell phone (albeit a very primitive one), it allows me to do what I need it to do and is a pay as you go... plus then I wouldn't get a shiny new GPS! haha.

Even if your phone doesn't work as a phone in Europe there's no reason why it shouldn't still give you the PDA-style functionality with the phone turned off. So use your existing phone as a PDA to download maps and cache details using wifi, then use your European cell phone when you need a phone.

Looks like you've got it sorted :)

Even if your phone doesn't work as a phone in Europe there's no reason why it shouldn't still give you the PDA-style functionality with the phone turned off. So use your existing phone as a PDA to download maps and cache details using wifi, then use your European cell phone when you need a phone.

But isn't there the issue of data use? If you could educate me on this, that would be AWESOME!

So.... what I'm wondering is how do I download the maps and cache info? I mean, I know how to download it... maybe its the issue of USING it? I have the Geocaching App which I have used extensively, but when I go out of cell phone range it is useless and the app basically stops working. Can I input coordinates into my phone and use it with the Maps app?

I have the Etrex 20 (and I'm not aware of the "sticky" issue, whatever that is!) and have the OSM maps loaded on a memory card in the unit. They are very high quality in all the areas that I've used them, and I wouldn't bother looking any further unless you have money to burn. Note that they aren't "street maps" at all but (if you download the correct ones) "Topo" maps, in a good resolution for GPS use. No need to take my word for it though, as OSM is in use on cache pages anyway (unless you "View Larger Map" in which case it's Google).

I have the Etrex 20 (and I'm not aware of the "sticky" issue, whatever that is!) and have the OSM maps loaded on a memory card in the unit. They are very high quality in all the areas that I've used them, and I wouldn't bother looking any further unless you have money to burn. Note that they aren't "street maps" at all but (if you download the correct ones) "Topo" maps, in a good resolution for GPS use. No need to take my word for it though, as OSM is in use on cache pages anyway (unless you "View Larger Map" in which case it's Google).

Interesting... very interesting... I was youtube-ing some reviews yesterday and came across the "sticky" issue - where if you slow down (anywhere below about 1.5-2km/hr) when approaching a cache, the distance meter gets "stuck" and gives an inaccurate reading. As far as I can tell, it is still an issue with their current firmware version. Here is a link to the video:

However, if it is not an issue with all of them, maybe this is still a good way to go?

I am glad that the OSM maps work for you! This is the MAIN reason I am buying. I travel extensively and this seems to be the absolute best option.

I've also researched the "sticky" issue, and although I've had a few small problems with the 20 (mostly through getting used to it, and general user stupidity) I can confirm that this is one that I haven't seen. It sounds like the latest firmware includes a fix anyway.

The biggest problem I've had is that it will let you import a large number of geocaches (>3500) but doesn't warn you if that takes it over the limit. The unit simply locks up. Don't let that put you off though!

Currently I have OSM maps of the UK and all of France on the micro-SD card, and plenty of space to spare (an 8Gb card costs almost nothing). There's no problem about swapping maps either; although they are separate files, every time I go to France the French map displays without needing any intervention.

I'd advise buying a unit well in advance of your trip, however, and making efforts to get familiar with it before you have to rely on it.

I'd advise buying a unit well in advance of your trip, however, and making efforts to get familiar with it before you have to rely on it.

I'd second that, whichever GPS you get. Also, I have the 62s and could get it to stick as well, even under optimal conditions (no trees, clouds, etc.), but I really had to try to walk that slow. The latest firmware for the 62s (and, I believe the eTrexes) has largely solved this, although IMHO, it wasn't much of a real issue unless I tried to make it an issue. The easiest solution was to walk faster.

But isn't there the issue of data use? If you could educate me on this, that would be AWESOME!

So.... what I'm wondering is how do I download the maps and cache info? I mean, I know how to download it... maybe its the issue of USING it? I have the Geocaching App which I have used extensively, but when I go out of cell phone range it is useless and the app basically stops working. Can I input coordinates into my phone and use it with the Maps app?

If you're using data in the form of mobile broadband (GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA etc) then you can look forward to a hefty bill. If you use data over a wifi point that's nothing to do with the phone signal. You should be able to access wifi even with the phone functionality turned off completely. If your hotel has a wifi point you can use that, or visit the local Charbucks or McDonalds or some such to use their wifi.

Once you've got the geocache files you can then hopefully load them into an application that will work from cached data. If your application requires a live data link then it won't work, but if you can download map tiles and cache details you should be able to put the two together with no data access in the field at all. At that point your only concern is likely to be battery life.

I don't know the iPhone in detail as it's not a product I use, although since my Windows phone I've had since 2007 can turn off the phone but still use wifi I'd be surprised if the iPhone can't.

Thanks for all the information, everyone!! I settled on a VERY well-priced Garmin Oregon 450. Although a bit above my budget, I feel it was well worth it. I am very happy with its use and features, but have not uploaded any OSM maps on it yet (just about to do that now!). At any rate, I appreciate all the info - It was all VERY helpful!