I can't "Send to GPS"...PN-30

By "Delorme file", do you mean CacheRegister? If not, that is what you want.

Aside from that, you want to run a Pocket Query (PQ). THAT is what CacheRegister loads into the GPSr.

Haven't yet done a PQ? Read this tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Only way to go........

EDIT to add: P.S. You don't need GSAK to load into the Delorme. You have lots of other uses for it though.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

By "Delorme file", do you mean CacheRegister? If not, that is what you want.

Aside from that, you want to run a Pocket Query (PQ). THAT is what CacheRegister loads into the GPSr.

Haven't yet done a PQ? Read this tutorial: http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm

Only way to go........

EDIT to add: P.S. You don't need GSAK to load into the Delorme. You have lots of other uses for it though.

No, by Delorme file, I mean the window that pops up when you click on "Send to GPS" on the cache page.

No, by Delorme file, I mean the window that pops up when you click on "Send to GPS" on the cache page.

What operating system and browser? And now that you've installed the plug-in, what exactly happens when you click Send to GPS on the cache page?

What operating system and browser? And now that you've installed the plug-in, what exactly happens when you click Send to GPS on the cache page?

Win 7 and Firefox. Still nothing happens when I click it.

Win 7 and Firefox. Still nothing happens when I click it.

OK, I'm confused as to whether or not you actually installed the plug-in. I just tried this with the latest version of FF and it was unable to locate the plug-in. Unfortunately, the DeLorme download site is down at the moment. I'm not sure if the problem is the latest version of FF or the down DeLorme site or something else. For the moment, the best I can do is refer you to this support article: http://support.delorme.com/questions.php?questionid=137. The support site is up (right this minute).

You might try using IE instead. However, if the plug-in is not yet installed in IE either, you probably won't be able to install it at the moment because the DeLorme site is down.

Edited to add: I do seem to recall that there were problems with FF and the plug-in, at least at FF 9. Current version is apparently 12. I stopped using FF when they went nuts with the "update every couple of days whether you like it or not..."

There are alternative methods for getting caches onto the unit -- but not one at a time. If you're a premium member and use pocket queries, then you have some very simple alternatives. But if you really need one at a time, the plug-in is really the only option.

Edited by twolpert

Twolpert-

Isn't Delorme PN-30 in a rather unique position in regard to plugins? The PN-30 is basically a PN-40 without the electonic compass hardware support, and therefore should be able to use any Groundspeak plugins that the PN-40 could use with 2.6 firmware.

But is it currently possible to use the Delorme Plugins to directly load caches (without using the gpx file format) into either PN-30 or PN-40 mempory if 2.8 or 2.9 firmware has been installed on the devices? Has Delorme perhaps silently removed or blocked Plugin support for PN-30/40 devices that have been upgraded to 2.8/2.9 firmware?

Twolpert-

Isn't Delorme PN-30 in a rather unique position in regard to plugins? The PN-30 is basically a PN-40 without the electonic compass hardware support, and therefore should be able to use any Groundspeak plugins that the PN-40 could use with 2.6 firmware.

But is it currently possible to use the Delorme Plugins to directly load caches (without using the gpx file format) into either PN-30 or PN-40 mempory if 2.8 or 2.9 firmware has been installed on the devices? Has Delorme perhaps silently removed or blocked Plugin support for PN-30/40 devices that have been upgraded to 2.8/2.9 firmware?

JM_2? It's hard to imagine why the f/w version would affect this particular aspect of things. On 2.6 and below, there is nothing but the "internal waypoint list." On 2.8 and above, you have the ability to use and save .GPX files. But the plug-in still uses DelBin to send waypoints/caches to the same old internal list.

One of things I will eventually suggest (if nothing else pans out) is making sure that there is an open waypoint file before trying to send. But it doesn't sound like the OP is getting that far.

That does raise the question of the f/w version on this particular PN-30...

I note in your original post that you have GSAK. It can accumulate PQ information from various PQs and other sources to create databases of caches for any area that you might be interested in. Drag the PQ zip files into it (it will know what do to with those). Once you have a database set up, you can filter the display to just show the caches that you want to go geocaching for (the PN-30 can only accept 1000; so use a smaller number than that) - for testing purposes set the userflag on the 100 caches closest to your house and then filter on that. Now in GSAK on the GPS menu, select Send Wqypoints and on the setup button configure GSAK for your PN-30. Plug the cable in and make sure the PN notices that you are now plugged into the computer (if it asks which connection method you want, use GPSr, not SD card or internal drive). With the GSAk display filtered to show only the selected caches (function key F8), have it send to the PN. After a few seconds a dialog should show up showing you progress of the load. There are other ways depending on which firmware your PN has, but this method should work on any of them.

Some things to note: Topo will hog the connection to the PN, so shut if off while doing the above.

Edited by Hynr