Tapatalk

Lifeguard1

I have discovered a couple of discussion of people requesting access to these forums via Tapatalk for Ios...I would like to put my 2 cents in for the Android platform (and yes...Tapatalk is available for Android).

Tapatalk is a fantastic tool by which to access multiple forums with ease...no need to always log in, easily follow topics / discussions, etc.

Any other Android users out there using Tapatalk (and would like to see Groundspeak implement access to forums via Tapatalk)?

I understand that it is a software issue...just hoping to get more people out there requesting this change to the point that Groundspeak might want to hurry things along and make the change...many other sites that are free use this software so surely Groundspeak could afford a software upgrade...Perhaps we need a petition gently encourage Groundspeak to make the upgrade???

Whatever software Groundspeak currently uses for their forum isn't supported by tapatalk. They would need to switch to an entirely different system for their forum like vBulletin, SMF, phpBB, etc.

See this post by Moun10Bike: http://forums.Ground...5

It is unfortunate though. I also am a tapatalk user.

I use it for several forums too. And, with the advent of smartphones being used as caching devices, I think it would be a smart idea to integrate new software that is Tapatalk friendly. It would sort of go hand in hand with the geocaching app. I use my Tapatalk on my android ALL the time-rarely accessing forums on computers anymore.

I know nothing of how the apps like Taptalk work ... its magic yes?

But, surly there are a lot of forums that use the same systems and such as GS? wouldnt it make more sence for the app that gathers information from forums expand itself to be compatable to more systems for its customers, rather than its customers asking the forums to change so Taptalk dont have to innovate or design and still make the money?

..... just my 0.02p :)

So I just did a little bit of research and it appears that the forum software that Groundspeak is using is IP.Board. Interesting thing is that IP.Board 3.x has been supported in Tapatalk since April 2010. When tapatalk was first brought up here, the forum was running IP.Board 2.1 which was the reason support couldn't be added. I'm not sure what version Groundspeak is currently running, but you would think that in 2 years they would have upgraded to the latest by now, right?

IP.Board has their own iPhone app, but apparently the version Groundspeak is currently using is not supported. Got this from them the other day:

Invision Power Services

Security Update: 27th December 2012

A critical security issue has been reported to us, and we are releasing a critical security update today to patch this issue.

Instructions

We are providing a patch for IP.Board versions 3.4, 3.3, 3.2, and 3.1. Version 3.1 is end of life for support but we are still providing the patch for the convenience of clients who have not yet upgraded. If you are running a version less than 3.1 you should upgrade to get this and other security enhancements.

Please read the announcement for complete details.

Invision Power Services · Unsubscribe

This may just be revenue generation, but maybe it will encourage them to upgrade.

It's not that our forum software is not compatible with Tapatalk, but that our methods of handling user permissions within the various fora are not (basic member vs. premium member vs. reviewer, etc.).

I thought I would echo this from his earlier post. For those that did not read the earlier posts, and keep asking.

It's not that our forum software is not compatible with Tapatalk, but that our methods of handling user permissions within the various fora are not (basic member vs. premium member vs. reviewer, etc.).

I thought I would echo this from his earlier post. For those that did not read the earlier posts, and keep asking.

Excuse my n00bness, but I don't understand this... :(

Excuse my n00bness, but I don't understand this... :(
It means that Groundspeak has modified their copy of IP.Board (the software that runs this forum) to support their system for user accounts and access permissions. This allows basic members, premium members, reviewers, moderators, etc. to have different levels of access.

And while Tapatalk works with generic versions of IP.Board, it does not work with versions of IP.Board that have been modified in this way. Therefore, Tapatalk will not support this forum.

It means that Groundspeak has modified their copy of IP.Board (the software that runs this forum) to support their system for user accounts and access permissions. This allows basic members, premium members, reviewers, moderators, etc. to have different levels of access.

And while Tapatalk works with generic versions of IP.Board, it does not work with versions of IP.Board that have been modified in this way. Therefore, Tapatalk will not support this forum.

NiraD hit it right on the head. It has nothing to do with Tapatalk, but the way the forum software is integrated into Groudspeak's site. So no, Tapatalk 2 does not work with the forum.

Is there any news or progress on this. I still dont use these forums but would love to if they were Tapatalk supported. From what i understand it is a very straigt forward process. I understand the last comment against using the app but IMO you dont have to use the app it just gives people the option. I am now on IOS and use the GAGB forums frequently because it is supported. I think it is a good way of expanding the use of the forums.

Is there any news or progress on this. .... From what i understand it is a very straigt forward process.

Sorry, there is no progress, and it is not a straight forward process. See some of the earlier posts.

Groundspeak modified its software to integrate it with the website. In making those modifications, it is no longer compatible with Tapatalk.

Consider this a vote AGAINST tapatalk. Why do I need another app to do what I already do? Then there's the stupid nag popup. "This board is compatable with tapatalk! Would you like to download it?" No, I can browse the internet without assistance, thank you very much.

I have to agree with this. It is just as well that there is a compatability problem. Unless the popup could be disabled I would not want to see it. Reading the forums with Perfect Browser on the iPhone works fine for me.

Edited by geodarts

Consider this a vote AGAINST tapatalk. Why do I need another app to do what I already do? Then there's the stupid nag popup. "This board is compatable with tapatalk! Would you like to download it?" No, I can browse the internet without assistance, thank you very much.

I have to agree with this. It is just as well that there is a compatability problem. Unless the popup could be disabled I would not want to see it. Reading the forums with Perfect Browser on the iPhone works fine for me.

The nag popup can easily be disabled by the forum owner if they want to.

I find browsing forums with Tapatalk far superior then any of the mobile browser skins out there for forums. The fact that it consolidates my various communities into one consistent and easy to use app is awesome. Push notifications are great too and much preferred over email notifications.

Being able to browse these forums like it is 2013 instead of 2003, yes. I vote for Tapatalk integration as well. Or hey, if not tapatalk, maybe they could find a way to make their own mobile app to view the forum, that still supports all of the membership structure. It can't be that difficult, pretty much every major forum out there either integrates with tapatalk(or a similar app) or has made their own application.

NiraD hit it right on the head. It has nothing to do with Tapatalk, but the way the forum software is integrated into Groudspeak's site. So no, Tapatalk 2 does not work with the forum.

Is there any news or progress on this. .... From what i understand it is a very straigt forward process.

Sorry, there is no progress, and it is not a straight forward process. See some of the earlier posts.

Groundspeak modified its software to integrate it with the website. In making those modifications, it is no longer compatible with Tapatalk.

Being able to browse these forums like it is 2013 instead of 2003, yes. I vote for Tapatalk integration as well. Or hey, if not tapatalk, maybe they could find a way to make their own mobile app to view the forum, that still supports all of the membership structure. It can't be that difficult, pretty much every major forum out there either integrates with tapatalk(or a similar app) or has made their own application.

Wish in one hand.

Spit in the other.

See which one fills up first.

The Frog does not care how other sites enable their fora.

Can anyone name a Tapatalk-enabled forum that is integrated with the username, avatar and other data stored on a separate website? Groundspeak has made a decision that it's more important for your forum name and your Geocaching.com account name to be consistent in both locations. In doing so, the ability to make use of Tapatalk was lost.

Edited by Keystone

Can anyone name a Tapatalk-enabled forum that is integrated with the username, avatar and other data stored on a separate website? Groundspeak has made a decision that it's more important for your forum name and your Geocaching.com account name to be consistent in both locations. In doing so, the ability to make use of Tapatalk was lost.

I could, but you would ban me, because it's a "competing Geocaching website". :laughing:

Actually, they only have avatars in the forums, not on the website. But your forum name and website Geocaching username are definitely the same.

I have heard many times over the years that the forums here are on a separate server. Could that be part of it? I agree with your basic premise though, Most forums are just forums, and are not tied to a website. Many are though. Even though I personally can't give you an example of one that isn't Geocaching related.

Edited by Mr.Yuck