How do I download caches into my new dakota 20

Ironators

My husband bought me the Dakota 20 for geocaching but I have no idea how to download caches into...I have been on this computer for what seems like hours trying to figure it out..Please help...Step by step instructions would help LOL I'm new to all this...(this was so much easier on my iphone)

Create a pocket querry of the caches you want to go search for.

Connect your gps to your computer, when the folders for it show up drop the gpx file (this is the one created by the pocket querry) into the file named GPX on your gps folders.

And presto you should be ready to go.

Unhook the gps from the computer, power it on and make sure they are all there. I'm not sure of the maximum number of geocaches the Dakota will hold, so make sure not to exceed it.

Hope this helps!

Create a pocket querry of the caches you want to go search for.

Connect your gps to your computer, when the folders for it show up drop the gpx file (this is the one created by the pocket querry) into the file named GPX on your gps folders.

And presto you should be ready to go.

Unhook the gps from the computer, power it on and make sure they are all there. I'm not sure of the maximum number of geocaches the Dakota will hold, so make sure not to exceed it.

Hope this helps!

1. From the main home page after you have logged in, up in the top right click on your profile name.

2. You should be on your profile page-scroll down on the right side to where it says "Build Pocket Querries" and click.

3. Next page, click on the link that says: "Create A New Querry"

4. Now comes where you have to do a lot of the input. Most of the items are pretty self explanatory on this page. Select your choices you wish to make. I would name this one "Close to Home". For this first go around I would aim for this: Select today's date: Select the option for "run this querry on the day checked". From here leave everything as is, til you get to the section titled "From Origin" and select "My Home Location"

5. Now leave everything the same til you get to the very end and click the boxes next to these:

Compress files into *.zip format (recommended)

Include Pocket Query name in download file name

6. And then click "Submit Information"

Usually in just a few minutes, you will get an email with the file. If the file is over 500 caches then you can only retrieve it from this website. Either way this will be the gpx file that I was referring too.

Let me know how this goes!

It's easy,

go onto geocaching.com - login with your user name

go to hide and seek

find a cache you want to download to your gps

plug your gps into the computer using the usb cable - your gps should be off

the gps will start up showing "garmin" on the screen

On the page with the cache on there is a box that says " send to my gps"

Click this icon

The computer will search for your gps

It will find the Dakota 20

Follow the instructions and the cache will go to your gps

unplug the gps

Switch the gps on and go to geocache icon on the gps

You are now ready to get out there and find your cache. Remember it is paperless and all the cache detail is on your gps.

I think you need to be a premium member to get all the cache detail on the gps

Hope this helps

The Dakota 20 rocks - enjoy!

1. From the main home page after you have logged in, up in the top right click on your profile name.

2. You should be on your profile page-scroll down on the right side to where it says "Build Pocket Querries" and click.

3. Next page, click on the link that says: "Create A New Querry"

4. Now comes where you have to do a lot of the input. Most of the items are pretty self explanatory on this page. Select your choices you wish to make. I would name this one "Close to Home". For this first go around I would aim for this: Select today's date: Select the option for "run this querry on the day checked". From here leave everything as is, til you get to the section titled "From Origin" and select "My Home Location"

5. Now leave everything the same til you get to the very end and click the boxes next to these:

Compress files into *.zip format (recommended)

Include Pocket Query name in download file name

6. And then click "Submit Information"

Usually in just a few minutes, you will get an email with the file. If the file is over 500 caches then you can only retrieve it from this website. Either way this will be the gpx file that I was referring too.

Let me know how this goes!

Ok, I did all this...I tried to transfer it all to the GPS and it wouldn't work..I turn it on and still no caches..I'm stumped!!!

Ok, I did all this...I tried to transfer it all to the GPS and it wouldn't work..I turn it on and still no caches..I'm stumped!!!

If you downloaded/received by email a ZIP file, did you extract the GPX files from it? The end result of the entire process is that you should have 1 or 2 GPX files in the [Garmin drive]:\Garmin\GPX folder on your Dakota. Is this what you have?

I feel like such an idiot...I received the email then from there I'm lost. I'm trying to drag it into my Garmin folder, but it's not transferring.

I'm with you on this. I have no idea how to get it from the e-mail to my Dakota 20. I need that little help guy to come right to my house and do this for me!!!! Anyone help?

If the Pocket Query contains less than 500 caches, the email should have a .zip attachment. Open the .zip attachment to find two .gpx files, cop-n-paste those to the Dakota.

The all encompassing answer is to go back to the "Build Pocket Queries" page on your profile, and click the tab "Pocket Queries Ready for Download" (all PQs will always be there regardless of how many caches they contain). Find your PQ, click to download either to your computer or to the GPS. In both cases, make sure you're putting the file in the correct directory.

"make sure you're putting the file in the correct directory."

Okay, sorry to be daft about this, but where do I set it up . . . I guess I'm one who needs written step-by-step instructions. The video on the PQs is good, but it doesn't go into any of the after stuff. If someone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

"make sure you're putting the file in the correct directory."

Okay, sorry to be daft about this, but where do I set it up . . . I guess I'm one who needs written step-by-step instructions. The video on the PQs is good, but it doesn't go into any of the after stuff. If someone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Don't feel bad about it, they've made something so easy look so hard, and the question gets asked a lot. So, here's a great answer.

And thanks for the opportunity to watch a Garmin geocaching video highlighting the Groundspeak site (snicker, snicker). :laughing::ph34r:

I have a Dakota 20 also. I don't like to load a bunch of caches that I have no intention of finding so I plug in my GPS and download the cache directly from the cache page. For some reason I can't use Google Chrome or Safari to download on my MAC but FireFox works just fine. This is the simple way. LOL

Its been said before but;

Create a Pocket Query - perhaps 10miles around your home location.

Download the Pocket Query to your desktop when it is ready to download

Extract the GPX file from the download, 'un-zip it'

Connect the Dakota to your PC using a cable

Find the Dakota on your PC, open the Garmin Folder then the GPX folder

Drag the GPX files that you have on your desktop (the unzipped one) to your Garmin

Disconnect the cable, turn on the GPS.

Done.